Dress code different for MDR if Windjammer is closed?

Blondie511

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It is a matter of capacity.  With ships sailing with relatively few passengers on board, it doesn't make sense for them to have all venues open at one time.

Example 1. - When the ship is in port, the MDR is not open for lunch.  WJ is your only choice.

Example 2. - On the (famous) Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009, we sailed with very few passengers out of Port Canaveral for the first leg.  Second leg didn't have a huge increase in passenger numbers.  Third leg was relatively normal.  On the first two legs, the entire Deck 5 of the MDR was closed, and only half of Deck 4 MDR was open.

I still think they can cut MDR capacity and have a mini-buffet available with 6-8 options plus salad (maybe MDR Options).   I’ve heard folks with late dining say they get a mini-snack around 4 to hold them over.  No real options now.  I’ll be on serenade….unless you pay for specialty dining or room service, you are basically out of luck.  Not a capacity issue…bottom line issue.  Staff is a fixed cost.  Waste in the mdr or waste in the buffet.  Scale down and think about what customers need during your planning.

I have a masters degree in hotel/restaurant mgt and ran quality of life stuff in tent cities in deployed locations all over the Middle East for the the Air Force…including Afghanistan.  I know what I’m talking about and I know how to have savings while still focusing on customers.

Edited by dianajo67
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I saw baseball hats. Shorts. Graphic tshirts. A guy who forgot to pack his dress shirt so just wore the suit's vest as a shirt. 

So pretty much they don't care. 

Two-three plus decades ago my now Ex could get all her little Dresses in the smaller Checked bag...not me, largest Checked bag and a Garment Bag for my clothes. Seven Nite Cruise consisted of 2 Formal Nites, 3 Semi Formal and 2 Resort Casual. For this packed: 1-2 Suits, 3-4 more Slacks, Sport Coat, 3 Belts, 5 Ties, 7 button up Shirts, 7 white T-shirts, 7 Daytime Shirts, 7 Dress Sox, 7 white Sox, 7 pair Shorts, 14 pair underwear, 2 Swimsuits, 2 pair Tennis shoes, 2 sets Gym Clothes, Sandals, Windbreaker and a Large Shaving Kit... Now travel SOLO, no Garment Bag but use 2 Suitcases as always Cruise B4B or longer...

37 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

I still think they can cut MDR capacity and have a mini-buffet available with 6-8 options plus salad (maybe MDR Options).   I’ve heard folks with late dining say they get a mini-snack around 4 to hold them over.  No real options now.  I’ll be on serenade….unless you pay for specialty dining or room service, you are basically out of luck.  Not a capacity issue…bottom line issue.  Staff is a fixed cost.  Waste in the mdr or waste in the buffet.  Scale down and think about what customers need during your planning.

I have a masters degree in hotel/restaurant mgt and ran quality of life stuff in tent cities in deployed locations all over the Middle East for the the Air Force…including Afghanistan.  I know what I’m talking about and I know how to have savings while still focusing on customers.

I do not have a masters degree and I can understand that at reduced capacity the staff is also reduced. They did trial having Winjammers and MDR and it was about food quality failing due to not enough pac s . It was all about the customer. Nothing to do with waste. This was not from random folks but the F&B . You could wait till back at capacity or pack some pants 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dianajo67 said:

IMO, the current WJ closure in the evening is only temporarily.  By the time your cruise gets here the WJ possibly will be back to pre covid times. If not grab some cheese to go before the WJ closes to enjoy with your whine to enjoy before the MDR opens. The MDR is casual dress all evenings(according to some and you) so no biggie if that's your preference. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

For the record…i generally don’t eat in the windjammer for dinner and I always dress nicely because we usually do pictures.  We tend to do specialty restaurants at least half the time.

When I was running dining halls for thousands of troops in Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan, we didn’t always have the supplies we needed.  We also couldn’t just run to Walmart, Costco or the local grocery store.  We got creative.  It’s about the effort.  There are stories about how much it sucked to deploy, but I guarantee most of our troops ate well and appreciated our creativity to make things happen.  We may not have had A1 steak sauce, but we made sure we made birthday cakes and a special dinner each month for the various units in a decorated tent.   They could have a celebration meal for the deployed troops having birthdays that month.    I just don’t see Royal, as a big business, giving a crap about customer inconvenience.  You see it in their lack of timely communication and screwed up IT among other things.  I go back to its about effort and creativity.  And caring in general.  Not really there at the moment.  

I love cruising…being on the water…unpack once and see many places.  At the same time, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that Royal be a little creative since they are working with fixed costs.   Having a mini buffet with stuff from the MDR menu available for folks who don’t want to spend an hour plus on table service is not too much to ask regardless of occupancy. Otherwise, have a complimentary room service dinner menu like they do for breakfast.  There are options.

I’m simply giving my opinion like everyone else on here, but provided a tidbit on my background for support.  The windjammer open or closed doesn’t bother me at all.  Just thought I’d support those who are bothered by it!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

For the record…i generally don’t eat in the windjammer for dinner and I always dress nicely because we usually do pictures.  We tend to do specialty restaurants at least half the time.

When I was running dining halls for thousands of troops in Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan, we didn’t always have the supplies we needed.  We also couldn’t just run to Walmart, Costco or the local grocery store.  We got creative.  It’s about the effort.  There are stories about how much it sucked to deploy, but I guarantee most of our troops ate well and appreciated our creativity to make things happen.  We may not have had A1 steak sauce, but we made sure we made birthday cakes and a special dinner each month for the various units in a decorated tent.   They could have a celebration meal for the deployed troops having birthdays that month.    I just don’t see Royal, as a big business, giving a crap about customer inconvenience.  You see it in their lack of timely communication and screwed up IT among other things.  I go back to its about effort and creativity.  And caring in general.  Not really there at the moment.  

I love cruising…being on the water…unpack once and see many places.  At the same time, I don’t think it’s too much to ask that Royal be a little creative since they are working with fixed costs.   Having a mini buffet with stuff from the MDR menu available for folks who don’t want to spend an hour plus on table service is not too much to ask regardless of occupancy. Otherwise, have a complimentary room service dinner menu like they do for breakfast.  There are options.

I’m simply giving my opinion like everyone else on here, but provided a tidbit on my background for support.  The windjammer open or closed doesn’t bother me at all.  Just thought I’d support those who are bothered by it!

I guess I misunderstood your post #19 when you said, "My take is that if they are going to deprive "me" of a casual dining option at dinner, then basically anything goes short of wet swimsuits". Sounded to me based on that post you were speaking for yourself and prefer the WJ in the evening and are upset about it not being an option (benefit as you called it) in the evening. 

Since you spent time in the Military you are familiar with the term, adjust accordingly.  Could be worse. You could have been eating outdated Korean aria C-rats. Been there, done that. 

A lot could change between now and 2022. Positive or negative? My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now".  And no, I am not a cruise line cheerleader! 😂

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I guess I misunderstood your post #19 when you said, "My take is that if they are going to deprive "me" of a casual dining option at dinner, then basically anything goes short of wet swimsuits". Sounded to me based on that post you were speaking for yourself and prefer the WJ in the evening and are upset about it not being an option (benefit as you called it) in the evening. 

Since you spent time in the Military you then you are familiar with the term, adjust accordingly.  Could be worse. You could have been eating outdated Korean aria C-rats. Been there, done that. 

A lot could change between now and 2022. Positive or negative? My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now". 

Oh…there is no doubt that Royal is saying “take it or leave it” or “adjust accordingly”.  My husband is laughing at my post tonight by the way….had a bit too much wine with my “whine” perhaps.  All good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have not read all the responses here, and I DO understand your question about the dress in the MDR, if the buffet area was closed.  I have not cruised RCL for 6 years, and it looks like some of the posters here said you could dress in shorts, etc. in the MDR.  For me, that really blows my mind! Now, if it is for breakfast or lunch, then I would understand, but for dinner, I think dress should be MORE appropriate for evening.  I'm not saying you have to wear formal wear, but the shorts (in my opinion)should be out!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

Since you are an expert, I assume you understand that hold times for foods on a buffet are limited for safety and presentation. With the very limited capacity, most of the food from a dinner buffet will end up as fish food. And the staff requirements from the galley to the servers need to be increased. From a hotel/restaurant management perspective it is just very bad business. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Since you are an expert, I assume you understand that hold times for foods on a buffet are limited for safety and presentation. With the very limited capacity, most of the food from a dinner buffet will end up as fish food. And the staff requirements from the galley to the servers need to be increased. From a hotel/restaurant management perspective it is just very bad business. 

I am sure the Royal has many people with degrees and years of experience in running these floating hotels/restaurants. No doubt their was discussion and debate and disagreement in how they should proceed with limited capacity. Since they had access to the actual data and not just speculative hearsay based on prior similar experiences, I trust they decision to shut the WJ in the evenings was based on their evidence

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

Thank you for your service.