Entry into Port Everglades

kelib

So far my only experience going to Port Everglades was 2 weeks ago with only 1100 passengers, so stopping at the security  entry to show ID was fast.

I am now booked on the Edge again, but this time have 4 ships in port including the Allure. 
Your past experience on entering the port security time wise with multiple ships in port. Want to know if there is a long line/wait or possibly a different procedure with this many people passing through. 
I will be in a taxi 

Historically, the process has been very consistent. With fewer cruise ships in port, more of the port traffic are regulars/locals who know to have ID ready and know where they’re going inside the port. The more tourists there are, the slower the go.

If the Eller Drive entrance is open, it can be faster as it tends to get more commercial entrances than people staying in hotels on Fort Lauderdale beach or on 17th Street.

(I’m a native of Fort Lauderdale. I grew up  near 17th Street and in Quarterdeck. We were in and out of the port several times a week.)

Edited by FOPMan

1 hour ago, kelib said:

So far my only experience going to Port Everglades was 2 weeks ago with only 1100 passengers, so stopping at the security  entry to show ID was fast.

I am now booked on the Edge again, but this time have 4 ships in port including the Allure. 
Your past experience on entering the port security time wise with multiple ships in port. Want to know if there is a long line/wait or possibly a different procedure with this many people passing through. 
I will be in a taxi 

4 ships is still below pre Covid weekend average, which is more like 6 or 7, with 8 or 9 possible. 

So, on a standard weekend, considering 7 or so ships, there could be a bit of a line. But it won't delay you much. Go with the flow, it's not a big deal.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

4 ships is still below pre Covid weekend average, which is more like 6 or 7, with 8 or 9 possible. 

So, on a standard weekend, considering 7 or so ships, there could be a bit of a line. But it won't delay you much. Go with the flow, it's not a big deal.

Not really a big deal, just curious. We were actually held up more by fuel and provision trucks going in. 

Thanks for the reply 

Just make sure you don't have to search for your ID and boarding pass.  That's what slows the line down.

Here are the embarkation tips on www.porteverglades.net:

departing passengers (embarkation)
  • Call ahead. Contact your cruise line before arriving at Port Everglades to verify your schedule and terminal information. This is especially important if severe weather threatens.
  • Arrive at the Port after 11:30 a.m. to avoid traffic. Cruise lines ask that you board at least two hours prior to departure.
  • Bring government-issued photo ID. Anyone 18-years-old and older must produce a government-issued photo ID (such as a drivers license or passport) at the security checkpoint before entering the Port.
  • Keep identification/cruise documents handy. Put them in your carry-on bag. Do not pack them in your checked luggage. You will need to produce these documents several times before boarding your ship.
  • Assist security. Heightened security measures at the Port help to ensure your safety. Please cooperate with security personnel to expedite boarding.
  • Weapons of any type are not permitted inside the port. Cruise guests traveling by car must make arrangements to store weapons off Port property during their cruise vacation.
  • Tag your luggage. Complete and attach the luggage tags provided by your cruise line before you give your luggage to porters for delivery to your stateroom. Porters can provide additional tags. 
  • Carry valuables. Carry on any valuables, breakables, personal items and medications, along with your photo ID and cruise documents.
  • Follow signs. Digital directional signs with ship names and terminal assignments are updated daily.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

On our last trip through Port Everglades,  several officers were working the lanes to expedite traffic.

This has been my experience as well.  Port Everglades is my favorite South Florida from which to sail because of how it is organized and operated.