Great Stirrup Cay (Yay or Nay)

barb65

Just booked a future cruise with NCL that includes Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas). Yay or Nay thoughts from anyone who has stopped here. One of the offers at GSC is if you get any of the spa services at Silver Cove on GSC, you are entitled to their upscale buffet and (hopefully) their beach.

• Like 1

I loved everything about GSC except for the tendering. For young people who are sure footed no big deal. For seniors like myself that are a little unsteady on their feet (I do not use a cane,etc just clumsy) it somewhat of an ordeal. We rented a cabana and had the best time ever.

• Like 1

I actually picked my next cruise partly BECAUSE GSC is one of the stops (I was choosing between the to Prima cruises, NYC to Galveston and Galveston to Miami).  I've never been to a cruiseline's private island before, and I want to see what all the fuss is about.  Also, I'm not a big beach person, but the thought that the food and beverages are included for this particular beach day is REALLY appealing.  I may end up disappointed, but I'm still kinda excited to check it out.  🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Love GSC, just wish they’d build a dock. We always get a villa at Silver Cove.  Dry relaxing and well worth the cost!

GSC sort of pales in comparison to Royal’s Coco Cay IMO largely because of the no dock. Also the huge pool with swim up bar and floating barge bar on Royal are super fun.  Hope GSC can make some upgrades to better compete.  

50 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

GSC sort of pales in comparison to Royal’s Coco Cay IMO largely because of the no dock. Also the huge pool with swim up bar and floating barge bar on Royal are super fun.  Hope GSC can make some upgrades to better compete.  

A dock would be nice, but I don’t know why I would want a huge pool when we have the beautiful ocean to enjoy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCDCA said:

I’m from Florida, so a big pool and all the water park stuff holds little appeal to me. I can do that stuff at home. Give me crystal clear water and waiters to bring me drinks while I relax and I’m in Heaven! We’ll be at CocoCay next month, but plan on being at the Beach Club, out of the hustle and bustle.

• Like 1

Nay, the tender process is a joke on the big ships. On the sailing I was on half the people who had booked excursions missed them because they couldn’t get to the tender on time. Mostly it was down to the idiots amongst our fellow passengers who queued up before their tickets were even close to being called so those of us with early tickets couldn’t get to the theatre to be brought down to the tender. By the time I got to the cay it was well into lunch time and with the expected nonsense getting back I only spent about an hour on the island. I’d have been better off availing of the port day discount at the spa. So unless you’re on one of tiny ships forget it. 

18 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Agree since Coco Cay as well as Disney Castaway Cay are very very nice.

But NCL was busy upgrading docks in Icy Point and Ketchikan.  So they for now are counting on improvement for Alaska.

A dock is certainly nice when it comes to easy on/off the ship (like in Harvest Caye), but it's not a guarantee that the ship can visit their private island. We were unable to dock at CocoCay in Jan 2020 due to rough seas (waves were crashing over the dock). I think this was due to a winter storm or front that had passed through a day or two earlier.