Post Covid Boarding Times...Are they for real?

FlaMariner

Pre-Covid boarding times never stopped us...we would arrive around 11:30am and boarded soon after.....I am curious about how serious they are enforced post-Covid?

And if they are enforced, any experience on an exemption if you arrive on the HAL airport shuttle?  I'm finding it hard to imagine the HAL airport shuttle dropping us off at noon and being told that I need to wait outside (or even inside) until our 2:40pm group F boarding time (as my stomach growls and I see an empty line...LOL).

And if they are enforced, any experience being allowed to drop bags?

Any eyewitness experiences from those lucky first post Covid HAL cruisers would be appreciated........

21 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Pre-Covid boarding times never stopped us...we would arrive around 11:30am and boarded soon after.....I am curious about how serious they are enforced post-Covid?

And if they are enforced, any experience on an exemption if you arrive on the HAL airport shuttle?  I'm finding it hard to imagine the HAL airport shuttle dropping us off at noon and being told that I need to wait outside (or even inside) until our 2:40pm group F boarding time (as my stomach growls and I see an empty line...LOL).

And if they are enforced, any experience being allowed to drop bags?

Any eyewitness experiences from those lucky first post Covid HAL cruisers would be appreciated........

Not sure if arrival times are enforced and that maybe depend on the port you are embarking from. As far as bags go that shouldn’t be a problem as the handlers don’t check boarding passes.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I believe if you arrive on a HAL sponsored shuttle, you will go right to the process. My time was 12:20 on the NA, I arrived at 12by taxi and proceeded onward. This was in Seattle; don' t know how handled in Europe for Eurodam or at future opened ports.

Good to know.....Did anyone look at your boarding time?

This is for Amsterdam (Rotterdam TA) and there are no passengers to disembark so I am struggling with how real is my 2:40pm boarding time....And I'd really like to have lunch!  But not complaining.....

Since the reason for specific boarding times is to ensure social distancing and increase our chances of not getting infected, I suggest you show up when you scheduled.  In Europe they do not want an over crowded terminal as everyone must be tested before boarding. 

If you are special people, the folks that think rules are for everybody else but they are only suggestions for you. Please disregard my advice and show up when you want too.

From previous postings from people boarding in Europe, if you show up more 10 to 15 minutes before your time, you our told to leave an return at your assigned time.

No idea what happens at USA ports. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Since the reason for specific boarding times is to ensure social distancing and increase our chances of not getting infected, I suggest you show up when you scheduled.  In Europe they do not want an over crowded terminal as everyone must be tested before boarding. 

If you are special people, the folks that think rules are for everybody else but they are only suggestions for you. Please disregard my advice and show up when you want too.

From previous postings from people boarding in Europe, if you show up more 10 to 15 minutes before your time, you our told to leave an return at your assigned time.

No idea what happens at USA ports. 

Do you know if the folks boarding from Europe who had, say a 2:40pm boarding time assigned to them, still were denied entry if they arrived at, say 11am, on the HAL airport shuttle?  I'm finding that difficult to believe thus my inquiry from those who have sailed post Covid.

(Also, I do not think I am special and I will certainly understand and go away if I am turned away and it is not my boarding time.....not here to be judged....just to inquire)

Unlike in Europe though, we need to arrive with our test results since HAL isn't testing everyone.  There shouldn't be overcrowding because of this and reports indicate the boarding process is extremely quick.  Because of that and the fact that these cruises are 100% vaccinated without exception, I feel comfortable boarding early if HAL allows it.  

9 minutes ago, Borge said:

so if my flight arrives earlier then my boarding time, I am supposed to wait in possible rain and cold or sit at the airport?

LOL.....That is exactly what I am trying to understand.....Is the boarding time for real or just a suggestion?

From HAL

PIER INFORMATION Venezia Terminal Passeggeri Marittima Fabbricato 248 30135 Venezia, Italy Please Note: Guests should not arrive to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time, which is listed on page 1 of these documents and on the electronic boarding pass available in Navigator. For the health and safety of all, guests arriving to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time will be asked to return at their designated time

Info from a post on the Rotterdam VII Roll Call

I don't think boarding times are based on Mariner Status. I spoke with HAL regarding my boarding time in Alaska -- yes, I realize that Alaska is not Europe -- but what I was told makes sense even for Europe.

I was told that boarding times are assigned by computer based on flight times as they didn't want people to have to hang out in the airport. I was in Seattle day before independently and therefore did not have embarkation day flight or HAL transfer. I was put in Group E. I called because I have high mariner status but was told it is all done by the computer.  I put in my day before flight times and moved up to Group C when the boarding times were reevaluated.

• Like 1

More info from Rotterdam VII October 20, 2021 TA Rollcall, If you go to this Rollcall pages 258, 259, 260 are a discussion of this issue.

I don't think you need to check everyday.  The system runs at 50, 21, 14, 7, and 3 days prior to embarkation.  You should get an email with a pdf that says boarding time has been assigned/changed.  Then you'll be able to see the time on the boarding pass.  I wouldn't expect anything before 21 days.

Errors happen, call or use the chat function to let them know about your issue.

I was not being judgmental with my special people comment, just a general disclaimer so those folks do not start a debate with me. lol

so perhaps my check in time will change because my flight arrives at 7:35am (bought thru HAL/Flight Ease).....right now, I'm scheduled for Group F @2:40pm.....LOL

Any idea how HAL handles folks who buy the HAL airport transfers?.....Do those folks get off the bus and have to wait somewhere outside until it's time for their group? Or auto check in and never mind the group time?

Right now, we have not purchased the HAL airport transfer but if that gets me in when the bus arrives, it may be worth it.

I'll go find those posts.

We are leaving from Amsterdam and there are no passengers disembarking.....So thinking that allows for even more spread out boarding times.

Good to know you were not judging me.....I like to be a good passenger.

12 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

so perhaps my check in time will change because my flight arrives at 7:35am (bought thru HAL/Flight Ease).....right now, I'm scheduled for Group F @2:40pm.....LOL

Any idea how HAL handles folks who buy the HAL airport transfers?.....Do those folks get off the bus and have to wait somewhere outside until it's time for their group? Or auto check in and never mind the group time?

Right now, we have not purchased the HAL airport transfer but if that gets me in when the bus arrives, it may be worth it.

I'll go find those posts.

We are leaving from Amsterdam and there are no passengers disembarking.....So thinking that allows for even more spread out boarding times.

Good to know you were not judging me.....I like to be a good passenger.

From reading some of the LIVE threads, it sounds like if you do a HAL transfer then you will be boarded earlier.  the boarding time seem to be changed on a regular basis from what I have read but it does seem that the  HAL transfers have preference if I have read them and interpreted correctly.

Lots of live threads.  You might want to take a peak.

• Like 2

We’re 5 Star and had 12:20 Boarding for our AK Cruise.  Initially, Boarding was to start at 1:00 pm but a week or so before Cruise it was changed to Noon.  

We were staying at the Hotel booked with HAL and left Hotel at around 11:00ish.  We boarded when we arrived the Terminal.  JMO, but if you are on a HAL Transfer you probably will be allowed to Board.  If you show up too early, you may have to wait.  

We were assigned to the first group to be checked in for the Sept 12 Venice-Athens Eurodam cruise ( currently on our first sea day and having a wonderful time).

Check-in was scheduled for 1pm, but we arrived at 11:50, fully expecting that as we were early, we would be waiting to start the process ( which went very smoothly).

We were ushered in early to start the process with no issue.  As no one was scheduled ahead of us, we didn’t complain:).

I would guess that approx 100 other passengers were ahead of us.  

5 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

We were assigned to the first group to be checked in for the Sept 12 Venice-Athens Eurodam cruise ( currently on our first sea day and having a wonderful time).

Check-in was scheduled for 1pm, but we arrived at 11:50, fully expecting that as we were early, we would be waiting to start the process ( which went very smoothly).

We were ushered in early to start the process with no issue.  As no one was scheduled ahead of us, we didn’t complain:).

I would guess that approx 100 other passengers were ahead of us.  

Thanks for passing along that information Gunther1......

That's what I would guess is happening.....as long as there is no crush of folks, might as well board 'em.

Our boarding time is 1:20 group B in Barcelona for the Eurodam. Our plane lands at 10 so I thought that would get us through customs and to the Holland shuttle and to the ship without too much rushing. Lido for lunch will be fine because we will still be exploring before crashing in our cabin until sail away and dinner.

We sailed on the Eurodam in August out of Athens and I noticed that everyone was allowed to be tested, check-in and board as they arrived.  There was no checking of boarding times.  We are 4 Star Mariners and were in Group A at 1:00 and arrived on the airport shuttle at 12:30.  There were lots of other people already checking in ahead of us.  No priority given to 4 & 5 Star Mariners at check-in due to the Covid testing process at the pier.  Everyone was treated equally on a first come basis.

7 minutes ago, Gary908 said:

We sailed on the Eurodam in August out of Athens and I noticed that everyone was allowed to be tested, check-in and board as they arrived.  There was no checking of boarding times.  We are 4 Star Mariners and were in Group A at 1:00 and arrived on the airport shuttle at 12:30.  There were lots of other people already checking in ahead of us.  No priority given to 4 & 5 Star Mariners at check-in due to the Covid testing process at the pier.  Everyone was treated equally on a first come basis.

Thank you for posting this.  As of now we have a 12:20 check in time for the 24th in Athens.  We have to leave our hotel at 11:00, so I've been worried where we would go.  I'd been told there really isn't anywhere to wait at the pier. 

49 minutes ago, Gary908 said:

Yes, thank you so much for posting this.....good to get past all the "noise" from experts who have not cruised post Covid and here from another person who has cruised post Covid!

Sounds like the boarding time, at least in your case, was used to help even out the arrivals but they serve passengers as they arrive....works for me....just like the old days.