Cruise Care Celebrity

kjwinston2019

We siged up when were getting our Cruise in 2023 (May) and added the Celebrity Cruise Care Insurance. I would like to know your thoughts on this package, for we have never selected the insurance package before but did becuase of all cancellations and Covid-19. We are both vacinated and will get the booster when available. I just wonder if it is worh the $678 that is added to the invoice. We are both in very good health. Thanks ahead of your time to answer. 

KJ Winston

eclipse.jpg

We booked on Celebrity for November 2022 cruise. We booked thru Crucon and got insurance from them with Chubb. I always use the evacuation limit as a way to judge the travel insurance coverage. But hope to never use it. The coverage thru Celebrity is $50000 and the coverage with Chubb is $100000 for $450. This is for 10 day in Sky suite and we are 66 and 68 years old. I added that because it all matters.

Besides protecting you if you have to cancel for a covered reason such as illness, one advantage of the Celebrity plan is the Cancel for Any Reason waiver which gives you a future cruise credit for 90% of the non-refundable fees. That feature comes at an additional premium in third-party policies. 

The medical portion has a $25,000 limit. Whether that is adequate for you depends on what other coverage you have available. If you have a health care plan that covers you for foreign travel, then the Celebrity plan can be used to cover deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses. 

The evacuation coverage of $50,000 would likely be enough to get you home from the Caribbean, but you may need a higher dollar limit for more far flung parts of the world. Evacuation coverage alone is not a good indicator of value. Some companies offer $500,000 to $1,000,000 as an incentive knowing they will seldom if ever have to pay out that amount. A higher allowance for medical along with

evacuation is a better measure.

If Covid is your main concern, you’ll do well to have insurance since the Celebrity Covid Assistance plan is scheduled to expire Oct. 31. Unless it is extended, passengers will be responsible for all expenses related to a Covid diagnosis. If that involves quarantine, know that the trip interruption portion of the policy is intended to reimburse you for the unused days of your cruise and for expenses to return home. Celebrity, as most other policies, pays up to 150% of the cost of your cruise.

Celebrity Cruise Care is a basic product underwritten by Arch Insurance, but you have to decide if it meets your needs based on your existing coverage. Comparison shopping at a website like insuremytrip.com is a way to see if you could get any better coverage for your $678.

Edited by Babr

Our credit card provides baggage delay, trip interruption, delay &  cancellation  coverage ( not cancel  for any reason but we won’t be cancelling unless for a  covered reason).  

We purchase a annual travel insurance policy that provides the medical and evacuation coverage.  We generally take 4-5 trips a year and find the annual plan a 

more cost effective option than insuring individual trips. 

Edited by jelayne
Correction

The Celebrity Cruise Care plan does cover various expenses due to Covid under the medical coverage, as I have read the added coverage. We are 70's and 80's so the Cruise Care, tho' not offering as much med or evac as we might want, is MUCH less expensive than third party insurance which cost is based on ages.  We also buy an annual med and evac policy to supplement. We've actually used the Cruise Care for additional expenses due to delays because of weather and mechanical airline problems. Very easy and relatively quick. 

6 minutes ago, 39august said:

The Celebrity Cruise Care plan does cover various expenses due to Covid under the medical coverage, as I have read the added coverage. We are 70's and 80's so the Cruise Care, tho' not offering as much med or evac as we might want, is MUCH less expensive than third party insurance which cost is based on ages.  We also buy an annual med and evac policy to supplement. We've actually used the Cruise Care for additional expenses due to delays because of weather and mechanical airline problems. Very easy and relatively quick. 

I did not see any added coverage relating to Covid. I think they treat it as any other illness. What did I miss?

I did see that they will advance funds to a hospital if it is necessary, something not all policies do.

As seniors (66 & 73), medical coverage (primary) and medical evacuation are essential. I like $100K minimum for medical and $250K minimum for medevac. Now I also require pre-existing conditions (asthmatic) and "cancel for any reason" must be considered (75% refund is fine). I use both insuremytrip dot com and squaremouth dot com as my go to research. I favor squaremouth choices over insuremytrip's. The cruise line's insurance option is never robust enough for my liking but to each their own. Making a claim can be a hassle so I look for a company with a Zero Complaint Policy and read reviews to see what claimants say about the claim process itself. (It can be arduous.)

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Our credit card provides baggage delay, trip interruption, delay &  cancellation  coverage ( not cancel  for any reason but we won’t be cancelling unless for a  covered reason).  

We purchase a annual travel insurance policy that provides the medical and evacuation coverage.  We generally take 4-5 trips a year and find the annual plan a 

more cost effective option than insuring individual trips. 

What company?

1 hour ago, hcat said:

What company?

We have used Allianz for about 5 years.  Unfortunately while they added coverage for Covid the Texas State Insurance Board had not approved the changes as of last month.  Unless they approve that change we will have to change insurance in November.  One of the benefits of a annual policy that we renew every year as that eliminates any pre existing condition exclusions.   

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have used Allianz for about 5 years.  Unfortunately while they added coverage for Covid the Texas State Insurance Board had not approved the changes as of last month. 

Ditto Colorado.  After original cruise cancelled, I rolled over (several times) an Allianz policy purchased before the pandemic hit, and Allianz and Colorado still can't get on the same page, either.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Ditto Colorado.  After original cruise cancelled, I rolled over (several times) an Allianz policy purchased before the pandemic hit, and Allianz and Colorado still can't get on the same page, either.

Sad isn’t it.  If Texas isn’t on board in a few weeks I think we will switch to a Geo Blue policy.  Steve at the Trip Insurance Store been great at responding to questions and educating us.

• 3 months later...