Suites with/without the Retreat Sundeck. Trying to decide between them - ??

cindivan

We are getting ready to book a cruise in the Med next fall, preferably more Greece, Turkey, and Croatia vs Italy and Spain.   We love Italy and Spain, but want to see new places.  After our third cruise being canceled and each time getting 25% more FCC, and not having a lot of time to take multiple trips, we decided to use it all one cruise and get a suite.  We have much more experience with RC and their ships, so any help the Celebrity experts can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The itineraries we that are more interesting to us, and that work with when we can travel are ships that have not been revolutionized - Reflection and Constellation.   We wanted to do a 9-10 day, but we could also do the Infinity 7 day cruise (which has been revolutionized).  We love having a suite sundeck when we have cruised RC and not having to fight for chairs, so I'm wondering how much the suite experience will be not as great as it could be if we do a ship that doesn't have the Retreat Sundeck and possibly others things I don't know about.  The cruises we are looking at have 2-4 days at sea.  We could possibly do the Beyond or Edge, but would have to really require some arm-twisting on my part since those dates are not great for us to travel regarding work. 

Any advice? Thanks!

Edited by cindivan

Don't want to pop your Infinity bubble, but like Constellation, no Revolution yet!

Much depends upon how much deck space you want to yourself and what you're willing to pay.  There are some anomalous cabins on all ships that provide you from a bit to a ton of extra outdoor space for your cabin that could make up for a lack of quieter deck space in the Retreat area.

If that would interest you, we have some suggestions.

If you haven't experienced it, then you're not missing anything, right?  😀

The ships that have had the deck added look like an afterthought to me.  People complain about lack of shade and the only water feature (if it has one) is a hot tub.  Unless you're sailing the newest ships, I don't think access to this space will make much difference in how much you'll enjoy your cruise unless you're an extreme sun worshiper.  If i were going all that way and a real suites-only sundeck experience was important to me, I'd look to book the Edge or Apex.

I have sailed Reflection and Constellation and like them both for different reasons.  The Connie is older and smaller.  I sailed her on my first X cruise, so I will always have a fondness for her.  It's a beautiful ship.  The Reflection is larger and newer (it was the newest ship before Edge class was introduced). 

There is generally more to do on S-Class ships like Reflection, and they have more specialty restaurants.  Staying in a suite, your dining room will be Luminae, which I think is better than the specialty restaurants, but some people prefer to mix it up with visits to those.  Reflection is the largest of the S-Class ships and has more suites than the other S-Class or M-Class, which I think affects the overall experience because everything is generally busier.  Pros and cons to either, really, but that really has more to do with what you're looking for in a cruise experience.

• Like 1

Ship means a lot less on a European cruise than a Caribbean cruise , on European you normally spend less time on the ship , longer excursion etc,  as for retreat I could care less about the retreat unless you are talking about edge class that includes a small pool. Perks are great on all celebrity cruises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Don't want to pop your Infinity bubble, but like Constellation, no Revolution yet!

Much depends upon how much deck space you want to yourself and what you're willing to pay.  There are some anomalous cabins on all ships that provide you from a bit to a ton of extra outdoor space for your cabin that could make up for a lack of quieter deck space in the Retreat area.

If that would interest you, we have some suggestions.

Oops!  Thanks for the info. 

We are traveling with another couple that has also booked several cruises that have been canceled but they started off with a less expensive cabin originally so our cabin will most likely be the place we hang out if it’s just the 4 of us.   

I think it will be between Connie and Reflection. Any specific cabin or area recommendations?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

If you haven't experienced it, then you're not missing anything, right?  😀

The ships that have had the deck added look like an afterthought to me.  People complain about lack of shade and the only water feature (if it has one) is a hot tub.  Unless you're sailing the newest ships, I don't think access to this space will make much difference in how much you'll enjoy your cruise unless you're an extreme sun worshiper.  If i were going all that way and a real suites-only sundeck experience was important to me, I'd look to book the Edge or Apex.

I have sailed Reflection and Constellation and like them both for different reasons.  The Connie is older and smaller.  I sailed her on my first X cruise, so I will always have a fondness for her.  It's a beautiful ship.  The Reflection is larger and newer (it was the newest ship before Edge class was introduced). 

There is generally more to do on S-Class ships like Reflection, and they have more specialty restaurants.  Staying in a suite, your dining room will be Luminae, which I think is better than the specialty restaurants, but some people prefer to mix it up with visits to those.  Reflection is the largest of the S-Class ships and has more suites than the other S-Class or M-Class, which I think affects the overall experience because everything is generally busier.  Pros and cons to either, really, but that really has more to do with what you're looking for in a cruise experience.

Thanks for that explanation. I totally understand about sentiment with certain ships. The Allure was the first Oasis class ship on RC we sailed and it feels like home when I get back there regardless of how many sister ships I have sailed. 

great info to share with the other couple with whom we are cruising and we can all make a better informed decision. 

thanks!

16 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Thanks for that explanation. I totally understand about sentiment with certain ships. The Allure was the first Oasis class ship on RC we sailed and it feels like home when I get back there regardless of how many sister ships I have sailed. 

great info to share with the other couple with whom we are cruising and we can all make a better informed decision. 

thanks!

Just a reminder that if you are in a suite and your friends aren't,  you'll be assigned different  dining rooms. Suite guests dine in Luminae. Guests in regular cabins dine in the MDR. Aqua class guests dine in Blu. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Oops!  Thanks for the info. 

We are traveling with another couple that has also booked several cruises that have been canceled but they started off with a less expensive cabin originally so our cabin will most likely be the place we hang out if it’s just the 4 of us.   

I think it will be between Connie and Reflection. Any specific cabin or area recommendations?  Thanks!

I have no idea what they are calling them now, but if you can score any of the corner aft cabins on Infinity, you'll enjoy them.  It's a bit more quiet on Deck 7 and 8 as there's the Sunset just above you if you are Deck 9.  The far corners have by far the biggest veranda space this side of a Royal Suite!  I do not know if these are still being called Family View or have been reclassified to a suite yet.  In any case, you will need a TA that works with Celebrity and knows how to book one of these cabins for just two.  I would only recommend trying after school returns to session.  These cabins are 'technically' held for 5 people, though I don't personally know anyone would would try that!

On S class (e.g., Reflection, have a look at any of the similarly located aft Sky Suites.  Not as big a veranda as the aft corners on the Infinity/Constellation, but bigger than average.

We have traveled in the corners of Constellation MANY times, and love those cabins.  We had a sail away party from Barcelona one year using our cabin in the far corner, and we had ~15 there quite comfortably!

• Like 2

Just now, mom says said:

Just a reminder that if you are in a suite and your friends aren't,  you'll be assigned different  dining rooms. Suite guests dine in Luminae. Guests in regular cabins dine in the MDR. Aqua class guests dine in Blu. 

if you would like your guest to join you in Luminae speak with the matre’d and occupancy permitting you may be allowed to pay an up charge to have your friends dine with you.  Our experience is that the up charges will be applied to your onboard account and not theirs. 

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

No one in a suite is 'assigned' to dine at Luminae.  In a suite, you can still reserve early or late MDR seating, just like the old days, or 'select' if you aren't sure when you want to show up.  Luminae is strictly an option that is made available to all suite guests.  As DaKahuna notes, it is also sometimes possible to bring guests along for an extra charge.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

A few points to consider. If you book a suite you will have access to the suite lounge and restaurant. Your friends will not. With cruising restrictions at present I think it would be harder for your friends to gain access to Luminae than usual. The cost for them joining you is similar to a speciality restaurant. If you choose to dine with them elsewhere in the ship you are then loosing one of your major suite perks...

Most Celebrity cruises now come with a drinks package so the suite lounge free drinks perk is of less value. 

With none of the ships you mention having a suite deck area there is no gain there...

If you do book a suite your butler will arrange some snacks etc if you invite your friends for sail aways.

Personally if cruising with friends we would opt for the same category as them and use the saved money to spend on speciality restaurants or perhaps a cabana to share with them on a sea day. If I am not mistaken on M class balcony partitions can be opened between most veranda cabins...perhaps someone could confirm this. 

Given the choice of ships you have we would go for Reflection. The S ships just have a greater variety of restaurants etc. 

I second the vote for S-Class or Edge Class ships. After sailing Infinity, and more recently Millennium, our personal decision is to avoid M-Class ships going forward if possible. We just felt "bored" on those ships since there is quite a bit less to do. We found Reflection and Edge to be worlds apart from M-Class. But to us, the ship experience is just as important as destinations regardless of itinerary.

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

A few points to consider. If you book a suite you will have access to the suite lounge and restaurant. Your friends will not. With cruising restrictions at present I think it would be harder for your friends to gain access to Luminae than usual. The cost for them joining you is similar to a speciality restaurant. If you choose to dine with them elsewhere in the ship you are then loosing one of your major suite perks...

Most Celebrity cruises now come with a drinks package so the suite lounge free drinks perk is of less value. 

With none of the ships you mention having a suite deck area there is no gain there...

If you do book a suite your butler will arrange some snacks etc if you invite your friends for sail aways.

Personally if cruising with friends we would opt for the same category as them and use the saved money to spend on speciality restaurants or perhaps a cabana to share with them on a sea day. If I am not mistaken on M class balcony partitions can be opened between most veranda cabins...perhaps someone could confirm this. 

Given the choice of ships you have we would go for Reflection. The S ships just have a greater variety of restaurants etc. 

Very few of the M class balcony partitions can be opened.  I believe you are thinking of S class where this generally the rule.

I would never sail with friends in a different class.  Too much chaos around dinner.  If your friends don't want to book a suite, I would suggest booking adjoining 1As on the hump on Reflection.  Your cabin attendant can open the partition between them, and you can do happy hour out there if you wish.  Since the Reflection has not been redone, it probably still has decent tables and chairs on the verandas and those are larger than ordinary ones.  Plenty of room for 4 people.  You can spend your savings from not booking a suite on specialty restaurants.  There are very few specialty restaurants to choose from on M class.  Alternatively, if you could get one of those corner aft cabins on the Constellation (M class), you would have plenty of room to entertain your friends as well.  They have huge verandas, and as they have not been redone, also decent furniture.

Thank you to everyone for your detailed and well-thought explanation. 

Our friends have decided they are not ready to book (even though they have 8K in cruise credit that expires end of 2022), so we have gone with something that wouldn't have been their top of their list and told them if they want to do something else and cabins are available we will look to switch be with them.  Time is hard to get off for these long trips so I get it.

DH and I are doing the Beyond 9 night Italian Rivera and France.  So excited to be on such a new ship in a suite.  

Thanks again for all your advice!

• Like 2