Question about Mariner Benefits

fkfad

So true.

I'll find out if a few weeks and if no one has posted anything definite here, I'll report back.

I mean, it's not like I'm going to refuse to sail if I don't get those Mariner points.  Not after the 10+ cancellations across 5 lines I've had in the past 18+ months!

In fact, I'm going to email my PCC and have him book a "free" B2B Alaska for next spring whether I get Mariner points or not! 😁

44 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

So true.

I'll find out if a few weeks and if no one has posted anything definite here, I'll report back.

I mean, it's not like I'm going to refuse to sail if I don't get those Mariner points.  Not after the 10+ cancellations across 5 lines I've had in the past 18+ months!

In fact, I'm going to email my PCC and have him book a "free" B2B Alaska for next spring whether I get Mariner points or not! 😁

Same here. I have quite a ways to go to 4* so I'm not concerned, just curious. I'll just be happy to be back at sea!

@OVgirl that’s nice to hear! How long was your sailing?

I appreciate everyone’s advice. I did call the Mariner Society and the current policy, as @Longstraw mentioned, is if you’re within 3 days of the next star AND your cruise is 21 days or longer, you can call MS and request the early upgrade to receive the benefits for the duration of the cruise. It has to go through an approval process, so ymmv. I was happy to hear this.

All the Best!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 5:32 AM, kazu said:

Yes, items purchased before your cruise such as shore excursions, specialty dining, beverage packages, etc all count towards your Mariner day status 🙂 

Anyone happen to know when the credit for such pre-cruise purchases post to your Mariner account?  Before the cruise or not until you are on board?

On 10/4/2021 at 8:11 PM, Crew News said:

$300 in onboard charges for one additional cruise day BUT at the end of the cruise, HAL rounds up to the next $300.

Do you mean that a charge of exactly $300 = 1 credit; but $301 yields 2 credits?  Would be generous of HAL to give 2.

I am on the 2023 GV South America+A+A and plan to purchase $~365 in S/E's in advance - currently just 2 credits shy of getting to next level (which will happen during the cruise, of course).  Would be nice to start out with the higher level.

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent info in this thread!

5 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

Anyone happen to know when the credit for such pre-cruise purchases post to your Mariner account?  Before the cruise or not until you are on board?

Do you mean that a charge of exactly $300 = 1 credit; but $301 yields 2 credits?  Would be generous of HAL to give 2.

I am on the 2023 GV South America+A+A and plan to purchase $~365 in S/E's in advance - currently just 2 credits shy of getting to next level (which will happen during the cruise, of course).  Would be nice to start out with the higher level.

I think I have read that on Grand cruises, you do receive your new level benefits on the cruise that you are currently on. Perhaps someone with experience with that situation can confirm?

2 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

all credits for a cruise happen AFTER the cruise is over and the Mariner Society reviews the spending. Pre-Cruise spending will not get you the additional level, however people have reported getting the next level with only one or two points being needed by calling the Mariner Society in advance.

As far as the amount needed. HAL states that 1 credit will be given for each $300 in spending. Many have reported, including myself, that HAL has been extremely generous in rounding to award the point, but the exact level is not known.

43 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

The Mariner credits appear AFTER your cruise - usually 7 - 10 days after IME.

43 minutes ago, LBCABob said:

I’m not sure where HAL rounds up but they are very generous at rounding up.  Not sure if $301 will get you 2 credits but I have experienced not needing to have the full $300 to get the additional point.

If you are only 2 credits away (which sea days will do) and have no cruises planned before your 2023 Grand, I would reach out to the Mariner Society to see if it is possible for your status to be updated after the first segment.

It has been done when people are on a B2B and only need the sea days - not sure what they do about the Grand where it is one booking but I would certainly ask.

If they say yes, get it in writing, print it off and bring it with you on board.

I was short 1 day for 4*. I contacted Mariner Society because technically after stepping on the ship I'd be 4*.  They said to go to Guest Services after boarding and they would give me 4* status for that whole cruise.

So contact them and explain and you could get the next level right away.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, Heartgrove said:

Yes, makes total sense. I was counting on spending days for the difference (easy to do) but now I am trying to see if we can squeeze another cruise in before the first of the two Europe cruises starting on September 28, 2022. That way I can be assured having the 4-star by then. The Pinnacle-class is nice having the Vista Suite for a fraction more than a Verandah but still getting the Suite Bonus. Actually just re-read the Mariner FAQ which states it may take 7-10 days to post.

Be cheaper to just pay for laundry.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

I was short 1 day for 4*. I contacted Mariner Society because technically after stepping on the ship I'd be 4*.  They said to go to Guest Services after boarding and they would give me 4* status for that whole cruise.

So contact them and explain and you could get the next level right away.

I thought the policy was your credit was AFTER the cruise.  I remember they made a big deal on a world cruise one time that they would roll your status up during the voyage if appropriate.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I thought the policy was your credit was AFTER the cruise.  I remember they made a big deal on a world cruise one time that they would roll your status up during the voyage if appropriate.

She just needed on sea day - arrangements such as this have been made on some B2B’s if all they need are sea days.

• Thanks 1