First Night Coastal Kitchen reservation unavailable for suite guest

e050377

On our recent cruise we were in a Grand Suite.  We boarded and headed to Coastal Kitchen for lunch around noon. We were seated and as we ordered our server asked us about dinner reservations.  We had already booked Giovannis and Chops, so we told him the nights and times we would like for CK.  He came back and said we were set for all the nights except the first night.  They were already full for reservations.  They offered us a discounted rate at any of the specialty restaurants, but we already had that planned.  In the end we just shuffled plans.  I'm just wondering if that is normal?  When we booked through Royal they talked us up to the suite because CK would be our restaurant

9 minutes ago, e050377 said:

On our recent cruise we were in a Grand Suite.  We boarded and headed to Coastal Kitchen for lunch around noon. We were seated and as we ordered our server asked us about dinner reservations.  We had already booked Giovannis and Chops, so we told him the nights and times we would like for CK.  He came back and said we were set for all the nights except the first night.  They were already full for reservations.  They offered us a discounted rate at any of the specialty restaurants, but we already had that planned.  In the end we just shuffled plans.  I'm just wondering if that is normal?  When we booked through Royal they talked us up to the suite because CK would be our restaurant

That's just not right.  CK is publicized as one of the full-suite perks!

9 minutes ago, e050377 said:

Did you get an email from concierge pre cruise.

That is when you can make your CK reservations

• Like 2

We booked week of, so I did not email with the concierge prior.  I guess I just thought CK would have room for us because it's our assigned dining room.  I also wasn't worried because our on board time was noon. I figured we'd be early enough to make our reservations.  We just rearranged our plans, so it's really not a big deal.  It's just something we will keep in mind when booking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e050377 said:

We booked week of, so I did not email with the concierge prior.  I guess I just thought CK would have room for us because it's our assigned dining room.  I also wasn't worried because our on board time was noon. I figured we'd be early enough to make our reservations.  We just rearranged our plans, so it's really not a big deal.  It's just something we will keep in mind when booking.

Even for a full suite, your assigned dining room is still the MDR. You just have included access to CK as well.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

Even for a full suite, your assigned dining room is still the MDR. You just have included access to CK as well.

I was just typing the same thing! 

I also agree with @WeMissSeaView Limited Capacity due to Social Distancing in all venues

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I'm glad to hear this, b/c I'm cruising with friends who are in a Crown Loft suite, while I'm in steerage.  We do have our reservations linked, but I wondered if that would be a problem for us to be assigned a table in the MDR.  

(They're planning on using CK for breakfast and lunch, with dinner in the MDR most nights.)

35 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm glad to hear this, b/c I'm cruising with friends who are in a Crown Loft suite, while I'm in steerage.  We do have our reservations linked, but I wondered if that would be a problem for us to be assigned a table in the MDR.  

(They're planning on using CK for breakfast and lunch, with dinner in the MDR most nights.)

Pre-Covid we were able to have my stepson join us in CK one night for dinner. I didn't ask for more than the one night but they had room and accommodated us...
It can't hurt to have them ask CK if there is any availability for a night or so 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LilBlackDress said:

Pre-Covid we were able to have my stepson join us in CK one night for dinner. I didn't ask for more than the one night but they had room and accommodated us...
It can't hurt to have them ask CK if there is any availability for a night or so 

Since they have the Crown Loft, we might end up doing dinner from the MDR in their suite sometimes, too.

Lots of options. 

• Like 2

We were told CK was our dining room from the guy doing reservations in CK. He offered us a discount for a specialty restaurant.  We were not told we could go to the main dining room as we talked about that.  In the end we just moved our already booked specialty restaurant vs paying for another night.  The problem sounded like they had taken a lot of junior suite reservations from back to back cruisers.  I'm just wondering if that's a common first night thing.  

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Did you get an email from concierge pre cruise.

That is when you can make your CK reservations

That is what I do as well.  But that was preCovid cruising.  

Perhaps different now?  Seems I saw where someone said they can't do that now.  Let us know how yours turns out.  I know you have one coming up soon.  

I hope I can still do it for upcoming Harmony.  😮 

12 hours ago, dunedinmaiden said:

That's just not right.  CK is publicized as one of the full-suite perks!

First night is the most popular.  Not a formal night, and it's the beloved "steak night".  Always a packed house.  

And now, with social distancing on tables, they cannot accommodate everyone in all suites.  

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Perhaps different now?  Seems I saw where someone said they can't do that now.  Let us know how yours turns out.  I know you have one coming up soon.  

On our Oasis cruise last week we did get a precruise email and made our Coastal reservations for every night in advance no problem. 
I think the OP said they booked last minute so that might be the problem. Also every suite was full on our sailing so Coastal was quite busy. I think the suites are sailing full even though the rest of the ship is only 1/3 full. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RosieRoo said:

On our Oasis cruise last week we did get a precruise email and made our Coastal reservations for every night in advance no problem. 
I think the OP said they booked last minute so that might be the problem. Also every suite was full on our sailing so Coastal was quite busy. I think the suites are sailing full even though the rest of the ship is only 1/3 full. 

Thanks!  That is good to know.  I hope it is the same for SL concierge on Harmony.  🙂  

1 hour ago, e050377 said:

We were told CK was our dining room from the guy doing reservations in CK. He offered us a discount for a specialty restaurant.  We were not told we could go to the main dining room as we talked about that.  In the end we just moved our already booked specialty restaurant vs paying for another night.  The problem sounded like they had taken a lot of junior suite reservations from back to back cruisers.  I'm just wondering if that's a common first night thing.  

What ship did you sail?  

1 hour ago, e050377 said:

Depends on ship. Most Oasis ships have an awesome filet on night 1.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Not in a suite until January.

Board Allure in a week. Not expecting much

• Like 1

FWIW, CK was never designed to serve every suite, every night. Originally only had two menus anyway. They figured suite guests would mix it up with CK, specialty dining, and Dynamic Dining. 

And then they dropped DD and created 7 menus. And 2 or 3 are very popular. Expect crowds on those nights.

And CK venue is still about the same. Maybe 100 seats pre Covid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not in a suite until January.

Board Allure in a week. Not expecting much

We are in CLS B2B Harmony end of November.   Or so it is still on right now.  No guarantees on anything any more.  😉  

Will post if all goes well with that.  

Have a fantabulous cruise on Allure!  We don't sail on her until May of next year.  OS on that one....anniversary cruise delayed from last year...my one and only L&S.  

• Like 2