Why hasn't the Breakaway left on its cruise from NY yet?

Nancy8250

1 minute ago, Nancy8250 said:

The breakaway was scheduled to leave Port NY at 4:00 and it is still there, just wondering why?

According to a number of reports, computer problems in the terminal processing paperwork delaying the boarding process.  They hope to be underway about 6 P.M.

She is still at the dock but it looks like the engines have fired up.  Here is a link to the webcam to watch sail away if interested. I sure do wish everyone on this sailing the BEST vacation possible. It's been a nail-biter getting to this point...

https://www.portnywebcam.com/

image.png.a36c0413f55ded26c78b3c3f4af3d1b7.png

2 minutes ago, bombarc said:

I want to take this cruise in October. I am under the impression that if you d not have the Bermuda Travel Authorization papers - you cannot board the ship.  

Bermuda has officials at the terminal helping with travel authorization papers for those that did not complete or had issues with uploading the documents

• Like 1

Well, we were worried about what might happen if most people didn’t take care of the Bermuda TA. I’m wondering how many people did not get the information. I saw through the web cam link above that she is still there. At least I know what is in store for next week. Hope they keep the pool open. Hopefully NCL sends out more information. 

She's looking pretty all dressed up in her fancy lights... Sailing out of NYC in the dark will be spectacular!! I always set my alarm at an Ungodly early time just to be awake for sail into NYC to see her all lite up. Still in port @ 7:45

image.png.ea81c8f34a4564813a1083523c9a0878.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, bombarc said:

I want to take this cruise in October. I am under the impression that if you d not have the Bermuda Travel Authorization papers - you cannot board the ship.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The cruise line sends out detailed instructions to all passengers (you probably have got them already,,, many times). Unfortunately some folks don't take the time to read and understand what they need to do. There are some who come to cruise ship forums to take "popular opinion polls" on what they should do (contrary to what the cruise line says in their direction). 

We have been on three cruises since the restart. Each had its own requirements. Each had a different set of protocols. We followed the directions and have never had problems check-in and boarding at the terminal. Each cruise was fantastic. 

• Like 4

I have two cruises booked so far for 2022, first one in March out of Galveston (*Eastern Carribean itinerary) with sisters and niece, nephews and 1 significant other, the other is August with just myself and husband out of NY (which is my favorite port to leave from).  I cry everytime we pass the Statue of Liberty.  I hope the folks on this cruise get out of port soon and on their way.

22 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Wonder if NCL will issue some people onboard credit.
When Celebrity had a mixup with testing/paperwork for a cruise out of Port Everglades they issued each cabin either $100 or $200. I can’t recall the exact amount. 

That would be great but why would they issue obc?  This delay does not seem to be due to NCL.  I hope that they give OBC if we leave late on the 10/10 cruise!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Wonder if NCL will issue some people onboard credit.
When Celebrity had a mixup with testing/paperwork for a cruise out of Port Everglades they issued each cabin either $100 or $200. I can’t recall the exact amount. 

NCL is not known for offering any compensation. 

On the first Alaska cruise of the Encore, Eurofins really screwed up the port testing causing people to wait in line outside in the sun for hours and causing a protracted delay in departure. The cruise line offered a free glass of wine with dinner (to the vast majority of passengers who had the drinks package). 

A couple of years ago, we were on a Royal cruise to Bermuda. About 2 days before cruise, the itinerary was changed to go to New England and Canada because of a hurricane. RCCL actually gave a 50% of cruise fare OBC to every passenger.  Lots of specialty dining, shopping, and drinking on that cruise. 

If you’re not familiar with the Bermuda requirements, it’s quite different from other islands.  You need a PCR test four days before the cruise, and upload that and apply for and receive an explicit authorization for each passenger from Bermuda before boarding.  That’s in addition to another PCR swab at the pier along with the normal Eurofins antigen testing. NCL emailed about it once. And emailed about Eurofins three times, each one of those follow up emails NOT mentioning the first Bermuda pre-test. Also people who called guest services the first few days after the emails were sent were getting very wrong information — that the pier test was covering Bermuda’s requirements (because Eurofins was taking that second PCR swab along with their normal antigen — but that’s only one of Bermuda’s requirements!).  And you literally can’t find anything about this on NCL’s website, despite the fact that they were still selling the sailing as of this morning!

Point being — yes people had to read the emails, but without Cruise critic or the face place, I can see how a LOT of people would have no clue what to do, or miss some of the steps along the way. 

edited to add: we’re on next week’s sailing, but as long as we get on the ship, I don't care how late we leave!!

Edited by psac
  • Like 2

As I watch the webcam waiting for the ship to move, I can’t help but to feel so jealous of all those on board.  Wish it was me.  We left NYC at night once when we were delayed and it got darker earlier because of the time of year, and yes it is so beautiful!  NYC is in my opinion the coolest place to cruise out of.

• Like 4