Crossing the Equator Ceremony/ Party

govanguy

yes, there is a ceremony (or something like that 🙂 ). It's fun to participate and it's pretty low key, or you can just watch. Participating or not, you will still get your "certificate" that you crossed the equator. Yes, you can kiss a fish (and then have it served for dinner ....just kidding). 

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto as to above comments.   For first-timers--weather permitting--fun experience in Pool Deck area.  Complete with Cpt. Neptune (most-often the Cruise Director or a Senior Officer) and his entourage of nymphs (Cast members who "volunteer" to participate).  Often, the most-traveled Guest (like 450 to 900+nights on Regent) is specifically honored by being on Neptune's arm.

All in good taste.  In the "olden days" while aboard either a Radisson (Regent's predecessor) or a Seabourn ship, these commemorations tended to go way, way overboard.  Like, the Captain being thrown into the swimming pool, together with vegetables. 

Trust me:  you will NOT witness such.  You will get your Diploma.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

In my experience the 'hazing' aspect is limited to a few staff members.  They get the full treatment, including dressing up in silly outfits, getting dowsed with spaghetti and then being thrown into the pool. But the passengers just stood back and watched.  I've been a shellback for about 10 years, watched it twice.

• Like 1

For those of us who became "Sons of Neptunus Rex" (a U.S. Navy "Shellback") over 40-50 years ago, and joined the "Royal Order of The Mystic Deep" those many years ago...I can assure everyone that the "experience and knowledge" gained back then, under the "wise tutelage and guidance of King Neptune and his court" was quite different (fortunately) than what "Wogs" will experience today on a Regent cruise!  I doubt that anyone on Regent will have the grand opportunity or privilege of meeting "the Queen" or "kissing the royal baby".   It's not even the same "teachable moment" that today's Navy sailors experience!...Today's right of passage is not nearly as "Rigorous or Comprehensive" as it was in the 60's & 70's.  🤪    Best Regards

• Like 1

Flossie:  

Believe spouse and self were with you on that particular Equator-crossing experience.  We were in a Lounge above the pool while enjoying a "dry" libation and staying out of harms way.  Cast members who had agreed to participate were with us as they suited-up in some crazy outfits pending pool-side appearance.  Heard a comment or two from the Cast as to their wish NOT to go into the pool.  Wishes respected.  Back they came after the event, still dry, to change back into more recognizable garb. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Due to the lack of current cruises I have gone to videos of past cruises by others.  I found one which has an equator crossing on the Voyager (January 2011 Hawaii & French Polynesia).  The video covers the entire trip so if you only want the ceremony you need to search though the video.  The video is at Getcruising.com - Ann's Cruise Video -then under select video yo look under Voyager and select the January 2011 one.