Best Wines? - Premium Drink Package

CruisinCorey2525

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I would have already expected them to have emailed you with your options.

That said, the wine list they provide for suite bar setups isn't very nice (see attached).  The value of a bottle of any of these wines is FAR less than that of a bottle of many of the spirits (also attached) they offer for your suite which can run upwards of $70 (the Woodford Double Oaked and the Remy VSOP).  Most would cost you $20 or less at home.  Which puts you in a position to negotiate.

Now that you've found a fuller online list of what is possible by the bottle, feel free to bargain with them over decent wine to replace the 2x 1L bottles of 'spirits'. 

Wine List - 5.1.24.pdf 173.52 kB · 1 download Premium Spirits List - 5.1.24.pdf 872.14 kB · 2 downloads

If they are really lucky they might get a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wines.  A bottle of that is worth at least $5.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I would have already expected them to have emailed you with your options.

That said, the wine list they provide for suite bar setups isn't very nice (see attached).  The value of a bottle of any of these wines is FAR less than that of a bottle of many of the spirits (also attached) they offer for your suite which can run upwards of $70 (the Woodford Double Oaked and the Remy VSOP).  Most would cost you $20 or less at home.  Which puts you in a position to negotiate.

Now that you've found a fuller online list of what is possible by the bottle, feel free to bargain with them over decent wine to replace the 2x 1L bottles of 'spirits'. 

Wine List - 5.1.24.pdf 173.52 kB · 2 downloads Premium Spirits List - 5.1.24.pdf 872.14 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you. That is very helpful.

I was hoping for a little higher quality but we will make it work.

15 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

Thank you. That is very helpful.

I was hoping for a little higher quality but we will make it work.

Don't just "make it work".  Offer to exchange the 2L of hooch for a couple of $50 or $60 home retail wines.  There's a Michele Chiarlo Barolo that works, and the Goldeneye pinot noir might work!

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Don't just "make it work".  Offer to exchange the 2L of hooch for a couple of $50 or $60 home retail wines.  There's a Michele Chiarlo Barolo that works, and the Goldeneye pinot noir might work!

Haven't stayed in a suite where I had that option, but honestly I'd make the liquor work, but I do drink spirits. Two bottles of the best wine on offer equivalent to the spirits on offer is about 10 glasses. 1L at 30ml per shot/drink would be 33 typical drinks in a bottle. And most of the equal priced wine isn't that great, unfortunately. If you don't want the spirits, I get trading for something you'd drink...

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Haven't stayed in a suite where I had that option, but honestly I'd make the liquor work, but I do drink spirits. Two bottles of the best wine on offer equivalent to the spirits on offer is about 10 glasses. 1L at 30ml per shot/drink would be 33 typical drinks in a bottle. And most of the equal priced wine isn't that great, unfortunately. If you don't want the spirits, I get trading for something you'd drink...

We drink spirits, too, but the nicer wines are NOT served by the glass, and there's the difference.  I'm OK with Woodford Reserve for bourbon, and I can get that 'for free' by the drink at any bar.  Not so with the wines I would enjoy, so that's where I start talking trade.  So no reason to have the Woodford in the cabin if I can get a bottle of the Chiarlo Tortoniano instead.

Edit:  And to be clear, some of the 'equal priced' wine can be quite nice.  I offer to make a trade that's equal retail value shoreside to shoreside. 

So if they're willing to come up with the Remy VSOP (which retails for about $73 shoreside) or Woodford Double Oaked ($72 shoreside), I don't feel the least bit bad about asking to trade each for a bottle of decent wine that goes for $65 shoreside (e,g., the Penner-Ash Willamette Pinot Noir).

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

We drink spirits, too, but the nicer wines are NOT served by the glass, and there's the difference.  I'm OK with Woodford Reserve for bourbon, and I can get that 'for free' by the drink at any bar.  Not so with the wines I would enjoy, so that's where I start talking trade.  So no reason to have the Woodford in the cabin if I can get a bottle of the Chiarlo Tortoniano instead.

Wasn’t thinking of that, so that makes sense. As long as you get something they don’t sell by the glass. 

Drink packages complicate basic math…

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Wasn’t thinking of that, so that makes sense. As long as you get something they don’t sell by the glass. 

Drink packages complicate basic math…

It surely does, especially if buying any of their 'elevated' wines.  Even with a 20% CC discount, it's almost always better to pay the upcharge for those by the glass than to buy a bottle.

• Like 1

@markeb

Will toss another tidbit out for amusement value.  Best I can tell, the smallest markup on any of the Macallan that they serve aboard is on the highest priced - the Macallan Oscuro.   Even at $105 a pour, that's only 169% of shoreside retail if you bought it by the bottle.  The $20 a pour they get for the 12 year comes to 241% of the shoreside bottle price.

I'm using typical prices for 700ml bottles and standard 44ml (1.5oz) USA sized shots for the comparison.

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

@markeb

Will toss another tidbit out for amusement value.  Best I can tell, the smallest markup on any of the Macallan that they serve aboard is on the highest priced - the Macallan Oscuro.   Even at $105 a pour, that's only 169% of shoreside retail if you bought it by the bottle.  The $20 a pour they get for the 12 year comes to 241% of the shoreside bottle price.

I'm using typical prices for 700ml bottles and standard 44ml (1.5oz) USA sized shots for the comparison.

Interesting. That's pretty typical of wine out in the real world. The most expensive wines are usually marked up the least (bottle prices). You can sell a Decoy Cabernet for $60+ a bottle, but you won't sell many bottle of Opus One for $1200 a bottle. Those are both ~3X markups.

I've never calculated their markup on spirits. It would be an interesting academic effort, in the right mood!

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Good idea. That is exactly what I will do.

I should be getting a call within the next couple weeks.Hopefully.

20 hours ago, mshaines said:

Did they upcharge outside of the MDR?  I'm not a pinot noir fan, at least without food.  I'm going to be very unhappy if I'm paying an upcharge for a drinkable glass of wine because the ship isn't properly stocked...  The COVID supply chain excuse is not ok anymore.  Considering HALs' 11-dollar limit package worked just fine on our K'dam cruise this summer, I am failing to understand why Celebrity seems SO intent on making wine so expensive.  

Did they upcharge outside of the MDR?  I'm not a pinot noir fan, at least without food.  I'm going to be very unhappy if I'm paying an upcharge for a drinkable glass of wine because the ship isn't properly stocked...  The COVID supply chain excuse is not ok anymore.  Considering HALs' 11-dollar limit package worked just fine on our K'dam cruise this summer, I am failing to understand why Celebrity seems SO intent on making wine so expensive.  

Within the premium package, we were able to order either an Oregon or a Chilean Pinot.  I cannot recall the brands, but they are not well known labels. Neither required a supplement. I generally ordered the Oregon. Without the package, the price, I believe was $17/glass. 

Edited by Karen450

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

Didn’t I see on a review that in the Princess MDR they offer you no name “Chardonnay” or “Cabernet” or am I mistaken?

That is for their basic package.  I pretty much stuck to the rose or Malbec.  It was a port intensive cruise so I did not upgrade.  Just about every cocktail fit under the basic package, including better spirits. This is their new option which could entice me back to Princess, especially on a newer ship: https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages?cid=pm_sea_bkws_ggl_cfl_com1_gen_rsa_princessplus&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADO-CYhCSQEhYQv7en9eDQiUmC7Vp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMPu4szviAMVa6VaBR0A0xQJEAAYASAAEgKfLPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Celebrity competed with such an offer? 

It was a challenge to find premium wines by the glass outside the main dining rooms.  Whispering Angel was available, but a premium Chardonnay was a tough find.  I generally stuck with Cattier, but had to make sure they didn’t pour Processo.  Does that sound a bit exhausting on vacation?  

14 minutes ago, Karen450 said:

It was a challenge to find premium wines by the glass outside the main dining rooms.  Whispering Angel was available, but a premium Chardonnay was a tough find.  I generally stuck with Cattier, but had to make sure they didn’t pour Processo.  Does that sound a bit exhausting on vacation?  

Just make sure the server doesn't have his hand wrapped around the label when pouring. Seen it happen. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Just make sure the server doesn't have his hand wrapped around the label when pouring. Seen it happen. 

Have had it happen many times.  Biggest thing is in the dining room.  They pour in that back bar room, bring you the glass.  

I just happen to know when it is not what I ordered...my taste buds got me through 12 years in the wine business.   When I call them on the carpet for it...they do apologize, then bring the new glass out carrying the correct bottle, pouring it for me there.  They know not to sub with me after that.  😉 

• Like 1

Currently sailing on Constellation in the Adriatic 🇮🇹 🇭🇷 🇲🇪.  Finding Decoy at any of the bars has been like searching for a needle in a haystack 👀🕵️🔍🍷. One night it’s in Cellar Masters, next night Martini bar, then in Reflection lounge.  Decoy has not been available in the dining room.  The head sommelier reports that the ships stores are void of Decoy because “there was an accident with a pallet”.  The Hotel Director told us that Celebrity, “cannot source enough Decoy for all 13 ships”.  Celebrity he said, is in the process of switching from Decoy Cab to Silver Ghost Cab.  We found the Silver Ghost in the Rendezvous lounge, but it is not stocked in the dining room on this ship.  I haven’t seen Elegance or Opulance cab anywhere.  No mention of Emmolo Merlot either.  I can’t speak about Luminae because we are not in a suite on this cruise.

image.thumb.jpeg.c671051ae317d309d454a7eff30b38f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f08ca0e35ce83614e280941ed128daea.jpeg

We decided to drink local yesterday 🍷🍷.  A local Vranac purchased ashore.  Bonus points if you can read the label 👏.

image.thumb.jpeg.1dffc46131860af1ead9a1506b3464cc.jpeg

I guess I’ll continue to bring my one bottle of Prisoner on board with me & hubs can bring my Santa Margarita PInot Grigio.

Decoy is ok (just paid $14 for a bottle of it to put in a pot roast). Silver Ghost is ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

Currently sailing on Constellation in the Adriatic 🇮🇹 🇭🇷 🇲🇪.  Finding Decoy at any of the bars has been like searching for a needle in a haystack 👀🕵️🔍🍷. One night it’s in Cellar Masters, next night Martini bar, then in Reflection lounge.  Decoy has not been available in the dining room.  The head sommelier reports that the ships stores are void of Decoy because “there was an accident with a pallet”.  The Hotel Director told us that Celebrity, “cannot source enough Decoy for all 13 ships”.  Celebrity he said, is in the process of switching from Decoy Cab to Silver Ghost Cab.  We found the Silver Ghost in the Rendezvous lounge, but it is not stocked in the dining room on this ship.  I haven’t seen Elegance or Opulance cab anywhere.  No mention of Emmolo Merlot either.  I can’t speak about Luminae because we are not in a suite on this cruise.

image.thumb.jpeg.c671051ae317d309d454a7eff30b38f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f08ca0e35ce83614e280941ed128daea.jpeg

We decided to drink local yesterday 🍷🍷.  A local Vranac purchased ashore.  Bonus points if you can read the label 👏.

I find it hard to believe they can't source enough Decoy.  Perhaps they can get the Silver Ghost at a better price. I live in Ontario Canada and just looked it up. Currently there are 9400 units of Decoy available for purchase. 

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Celebrity he said, is in the process of switching from Decoy Cab to Silver Ghost Cab.  We found the Silver Ghost in the Rendezvous lounge, but it is not stocked in the dining room on this ship.  I haven’t seen Elegance or Opulance cab anywhere.  No mention of Emmolo Merlot either.

Thanks for your live posting!  I've been enjoying it.  

This report is frustrating, though I will probably favor white on our Apex trip next month.  Guessing you are a red drinker @81Zoomie, but how is the rose and white selection (if you've noticed)?  I drank a fair amount of the Elegance Chardonnay last X Cruise.  Thinking I may bring the allowed two bottles, though that's annoying if you've paid for a pricey drink package.    

To the earlier prosecco discussion on this thread, if I want prosecco, I'll order it.   Don't give me prosecco and pretend it's champagne!  X wouldn't give you pinot grigio in lieu of chardonnay - why do the same with bubbles?!  

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Phonetically...

Bodeen (like American last name Bodine??)

Drachyeveetsa

What is a Vranac?  Never tasted one.

Funny.  There really is a winery called Bodine - in Kansas, of all places!

https://www.buzzfile.com/business/Bodine-Wine-Company-LLC-785-554-0053