Disembarkation in Miami - how much time needed to get to airport?

mumcat

We will be disembarking our cruise in Miami and will be flying home to France the same day. I presume that there will be immigration formalities onboard before we are allowed to leave the ship? Does anyone know how long this should take? I don't want to miss an early afternoon flflight nor do I want to spend hours at the airport waiting for a late night flight. 

The 'formalities' occur at the port, not on the ship, as I remember (I'm a Canadian, so have to go through this too.) The older wisdom was to not book anything before noon, but Miami Airport is simply awful in my experience and now is probably much worse.  As well there can be slowdowns getting off the ship before it's cleared.  In one case no one could get off the ship before 9 a.m. because of a longshoremen's dispute.  But if that latter doesn't happen, you should be able to disembark as soon as the ship is cleared.  What time does it say you will arrive?

We have disembarked in Miami many, many times in our 70+ cruises, and recently we have run into long delays more often than not.  It usually had to do with not enough immigration officials on duty.  But it can also be for any number of reasons.  Once off the ship there is a que for taxis that is usually a mile long.  Miami is the one port that I don’t utilize Uber because of the total chaos outside the terminal.  It depends where your comfort level is, but I would definitely never book a flight departing before 2:00 p.m., especially an international flight.  You may get lucky and be getting into a taxi by 10:00 a.m.  But on our last couple of entries into Miami we had’t even been through immigration before then.

Miami is the worst.  I would not rely on the taxi stand.  You never know what the line will be like.  I strongly suggest scheduling a transfer to the airport with a local transfer company.  There are many of them.

I strongly second no flight before 2 PM.  We have a cruise ending in Miami and we could not get a convenient flight after 2.  We are staying overnight at the airport and leaving the next morning.  

No ship from Regent has yet arrived at the Miami port. You might have some luck looking at other lines here who have already have people experiencing how they are handling returning ships. Crystal? 

Getting to the airport will probably be the least of your time. On any given day though, there may be 10’s of thousands of people disembarking and heading for the airport. 

The airport is another matter, we were just there three weeks ago and I can only speak for the mess that is American Airlines. Even in the business class line, the check in process was extra slow and laborious due to all the document and app checking. Surprisingly, security at TSA precheck was up to snuff. I guess except for the sudden increased volume, their job hasn’t changed much!

I know that’s anecdotal. I would suggest leaving plenty of time!

Edited by Pudgesmom

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The 'formalities' occur at the port, not on the ship, as I remember (I'm a Canadian, so have to go through this too.) The older wisdom was to not book anything before noon, but Miami Airport is simply awful in my experience and now is probably much worse.  As well there can be slowdowns getting off the ship before it's cleared.  In one case no one could get off the ship before 9 a.m. because of a longshoremen's dispute.  But if that latter doesn't happen, you should be able to disembark as soon as the ship is cleared.  What time does it say you will arrive?

As far as I know , we will be arriving through the night or early morning.

The trials and tribulations of disembarking at Miami have been told, and retold (some by me) on several Threads going back at-least five years.  Will not dredge up BAD memories, of which there are a few--

Except one nail-biter a few years back as a cautionary tale.  Navigator's Miami-Amazon River-and back to Miami segment.  Ship was docked by 0700H.  We had arranged a private car transport to Miami Airport for a 1230H flight.  Had used FF miles for that return flight.  So, we were, basically, on our own.  

Wait and wait.  Color-coded baggage tags keyed to "assigned" departure time (ours was keyed to 0900H) meant NOTHING.   Everyone had to wait until the ship was "cleared by Port Authorities".  Not a good way to end a wonderful cruise.  Regent's hands were tied on this one.  Finally, departures (rushes) began about 1045H.  

Naturally, there was a mess-up with our private car.  No show.  Unable to communicate with the driver.  Fortunately, there were cabs available.  Explained our situation to the driver.  He had gone through this drill before.  Absolutely exceeded the speed limit while getting us to the airport; he had called ahead for "a buddy" to meet us and assist with the baggage and into the check-in Line; and get our luggage properly tagged.  That was a BIG help.  More-or-less organized chaos at the counters; as Navigator was the smallest passenger complement-wise ship disgorging passengers that morning.  There were at-least two other mega-liners doing the same, at about the same time.  Most-everyone, it seemed, ended up at the Airport--at about the same time.  

Bottom Line:  No time at the Lounge.  Straight through Security to boarding gate.  Boarding began about 10 minutes later.  That was cutting it way, way too close.  Somehow, our bags managed to get on the same plane.  Small miracle.  Because--it was an on-time departure.  

We return to Miami (hopefully) this mid-November after completing an Explorer TA.  Regent will be responsible this time around for our transportation to the Airport for a Regent-scheduled 1400H departure.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Does your cruise have a call at another U.S. port just prior to Miami, such as Puerto Rico or Key West? If so, immigration clearance will be handled there.

That being said, Miami is famous for delays at arrival, primarily because of baggage off-loading. However, depending on how early "early afternoon" is, you still could make an afternoon flight with plenty of breathing time.  

Reference Post #9:

I talked myself right out of even attempting another Miami Airport experience.  So--with Regent's approval, and at no-additional cost, we will now depart Florida a few hours later via Ft. Lauderdale Airport for a N/S return to SEATAC.  Our TA has arranged a private car transfer from the Pier.  

Should have done this earlier, as we have arrived at-and departed from-that alternative Airport on previous occasions.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Thank you for all of your replies. I went through Miami International several years ago and it was horrendous then. It sounds like things there have not improved! I take the point that we should not book any flight before 2pm. At the moment the earliest flight back to France is 5pm with another later in the evening so, we will have to prepare ourselves for a lot of time just hanging about!

For those with later flights out of Miami, Regent have previously offered the option an excursion on the HO-HO Bus in Miami (including luggage storage & a later transfer to the airport); complimentary if on a Regent booked flight.

The option will be offered on board by Destination Services when you are filling out your disembarkation details towards the end of the cruise.

Not particularly a luxury experience but it can serve to fill up the spare hours rather than a long wait at the airport.

I’’lol Post this question here rather than start a new thread as it is related to   Miami arrivals.  

When Explorer docks on Nov 15 after the transatlantic cruise, should we expect there would be unusual delays for embarking guests due to additional health/CDC inspections? Nov 15 will be Explorers first post Covid cruise out of Miami, so I am just wondering whether to expect delays at embarkation.  

thanks

1 minute ago, Sunprince said:

I’’lol Post this question here rather than start a new thread as it is related to   Miami arrivals.  

When Explorer docks on Nov 15 after the transatlantic cruise, should we expect there would be unusual delays for embarking guests due to additional health/CDC inspections? Nov 15 will be Explorers first post Covid cruise out of Miami, so I am just wondering whether to expect delays at embarkation.  

thanks

No- because the Explorer docks on Nov. 14. So the passengers. will be long gone when you arrive.

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

For those with later flights out of Miami, Regent have previously offered the option an excursion on the HO-HO Bus in Miami (including luggage storage & a later transfer to the airport); complimentary if on a Regent booked flight.

The option will be offered on board by Destination Services when you are filling out your disembarkation details towards the end of the cruise.

Not particularly a luxury experience but it can serve to fill up the spare hours rather than a long wait at the airport.

We booked through Regent Europe and for some reason, they do not offer flights so we'll be on our own to get to the airport . When we have  sail with Azamara they have usually offered free transport to the airport.