"Always included" - false advertising?

ak1004

1 hour ago, Morecruises1 said:

I still can't get the gratuities to show as paid on my account where this happened to.  Under "Already Booked"--->"View Vacation"--->Manage your vacation tab----->reservation details it still shows "Add Gratuities" and has a place for me to pay even when I paid extra for the "Retreat NRD" upgrade.  A call to Celebrity still can't get it fixed.  This is the worst service I have ever had with a cruise company EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

cruise.jpg

Give it a couple of days and check back.  It sometimes takes a day or two for everything to properly update.  The OBC is there, so everything should line up with a little time.

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Still, I am just at a loss to how anyone things "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee" cabins include anything extra? To me, it's clear, like all other nomenclatures on other cruise lines, you either book a cheap, no frills fare, or you take all the goodies.

I agree with you when you choose a "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee" cabin.  However, with this promotion, nothing says that simply adding in your CC number results in a "Simply Sail" cabin.  Nothing says "Simply Sail" until after you've paid your deposit.  There is no point where choose between "Always Included" and "Simply Sail."  It just happens silently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I agree with you when you choose a "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee" cabin.  However, with this promotion, nothing says that simply adding in your CC number results in a "Simply Sail" cabin.  Nothing says "Simply Sail" until after you've paid your deposit.  There is no point where choose between "Always Included" and "Simply Sail."  It just happens silently.

Exactly what happened to us and we booked within the 100% penalty time so we paid for a trip at a certain price only to learn afterward it did not include the perks we had been promised and then were stuck unless we want to cancel and get a FCC.  We booked a normal Retreat Sky Suite (Not simply sail or cruise only) only to have it change when we input our Captains Club number and we thought it was just a promotion to help us.  So our only way to get perks back was to call and after numerous hours and days now pay another $706 AFTER booking then also now to find out my tips are not showing included either at another $266 it is showing I owe.  

Edited by Morecruises1

9 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I get it.  That sounds like a glitch in the booking WEB site.  They should be specific.

I ended up getting $2,400 in OBC on a booking back in July.  I think it was an error.  But, Celebrity honored it.  I think they're still ramping up personnel in their WEB and sales dept after being dormant for so long.  Add to that, they're offering promos to get passengers on their ships (i.e. Simply Sail and Always Included rates) that were sprung before getting the booking infrastructure done.

But, I've found if there's an error, they'll fix it.  At least, that's true with me.

• Like 1

So here’s a question related to this thread that I’ve wondered recently,

If they are offering a Retreat Guarantee “Cruise Only” fare, they pick the cabin etc, wouldn’t this still include the Premium Drink Package and the Wifi as part of what’s included the Retreat experience itself, unlike say a Verandah Cruise Only (Simply Sail) which would not include any drinks wifi or gratuities because they aren’t part of the Verandah only experience? Did I make sense in asking this?

We we’re considering upgrading to this “Cruise Only Guarantee” for Retreat but it’s one of those things where I fear what the computer and fine print would yield AFTER the button was pressed and we can’t go back. 

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I have seen that on my bookings in the past, too.  I always ignore the "Add Gratuities"!  I think their booking WEB site needs a "going over" and refreshed.

Still, I am just at a loss to how anyone things "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee" cabins include anything extra? To me, it's clear, like all other nomenclatures on other cruise lines, you either book a cheap, no frills fare, or you take all the goodies.  Different names, but Celebrity calls theirs "Always Included", or, the fare where everything is always included.  It's not "cheap fares" have everything included.  It's not "fares that are nothing more than the ticket to get on the ship and nothing more" have all the perks included.  

"Guarantee"-Guaranteed a cabin, in the particular cabin type you're booking.

"Simply Sail"-You "simply" have a ticket that gets you on a ship to sail.  Nothing else is outlined to be included.

"Always Included"-all the perks are included in your fare, regardless of cabin type

I understand it and I'm not the most understanding person to begin with.

LOL - g you sound like you are very understanding (read: intelligent), to begin with!!!

I really like how you presented the options, as I can wholeheartedly agree with the analysis, but then again there are more than a few of us looking for the cheap and gotcha at any turn.

This is not to say that the website OR agent OR TA do not make mistakes in fares and providing related information, which needs correction if it is so egregious it defies logical logic... a few have presented such situations, too.

Thank you again and bon voyage

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It is obvious when you do, as they are listed on the last "lock it in" page.  However, it is not obvious when you don't have those perks unless you've affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare.

Again, the marketing throughout the booking process, including the page where the fare is quoted, shows over and over that suites have always have all these perks.  Frankly, even if you're paying attention, why wouldn't one then believe that they would be there unless one had affirmatively chosen a "cruise only" or "simply sail" fare?  Everything says it is.

If you look at a menu that says "all hamburgers come with fries," would you think you need to ask your server if the hamburger you just ordered came with fries?  If you presented a coupon for $2 off your hamburger and that coupon said nothing more than "$2 off," would you be unpleasantly surprised when your burger showed up without fries?  Would you be a bit ticked off when your server told you that the coupon price didn't include fries but that you could add them back for a buck?

We have a restaurant here that does just that!   The Hamburger and fries are $9.95 on the menu.  Monday's they run  a hamburger special (to use up the old meat from the weekend) for only $6.95.  But it doesn't include fries.  I don't eat there on Monday's. lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Morecruises1 said:

I still can't get the gratuities to show as paid on my account where this happened to.  Under "Already Booked"--->"View Vacation"--->Manage your vacation tab----->reservation details it still shows "Add Gratuities" and has a place for me to pay even when I paid extra for the "Retreat NRD" upgrade.  A call to Celebrity still can't get it fixed.  This is the worst service I have ever had with a cruise company EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

cruise.jpg

Have you made a formal request to your travel agent or Celebrity for a booking confirmation and/or invoice (PDF)?  That will show what you should have.

Celebrity website is known to be bad.

13 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

If they are offering a Retreat Guarantee “Cruise Only” fare, they pick the cabin etc, wouldn’t this still include the Premium Drink Package and the Wifi as part of what’s included the Retreat experience itself, unlike say a Verandah Cruise Only (Simply Sail) which would not include any drinks wifi or gratuities because they aren’t part of the Verandah only experience? Did I make sense in asking this?

We we’re considering upgrading to this “Cruise Only Guarantee” for Retreat but it’s one of those things where I fear what the computer and fine print would yield AFTER the button was pressed and we can’t go back. 

If that is your question I would call Celebrity AND get something in writing from Celebrity before booking anything or pressing any buttons!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

But, I've found if there's an error, they'll fix it.  At least, that's true with me.

Unfortunately, they've known about this particular issue for more than two weeks and have not fixed it on their website.  As far as fixing it in my case, the only solution I was presented with was to add back in the "Retreat" aspect of the booking at a substantial cost.

14 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

If they are offering a Retreat Guarantee “Cruise Only” fare, they pick the cabin etc, wouldn’t this still include the Premium Drink Package and the Wifi as part of what’s included the Retreat experience itself

No, it does not.  You would still have access to the Retreat Lounge and free drinks in there.  You would still have access to the Retreat Sundeck.  If you booked a Royal Suite or higher, I assume you still would have the amenities included there (liquor in the room and unlimited specialty dining), but I don't know that and would want to confirm that prior to completing the booking.

11 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We have a restaurant here that does just that!   The Hamburger and fries are $9.95 on the menu.  Monday's they run  a hamburger special (to use up the old meat from the weekend) for only $6.95.  But it doesn't include fries.  I don't eat there on Monday's. lol

LOL, only on Tuesdays when not used up on Monday's???

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Simply Sail fares do not include a drinks package, gratuities or WiFi in any level cabin. 

You should see this when selecting a Suite Guarantee: 

316684494_ScreenShot2021-10-28at10_30_22AM.thumb.png.6d551a134a65f4c6fc316b72c1ff068c.png313461022_ScreenShot2021-10-28at10_30_41AM.thumb.png.657c42e271bff5a4833f6a24bf1cb94f.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Unfortunately, they've known about this particular issue for more than two weeks and have not fixed it on their website.  As far as fixing it in my case, the only solution I was presented with was to add back in the "Retreat" aspect of the booking at a substantial cost.

No, it does not.  You would still have access to the Retreat Lounge and free drinks in there.  You would still have access to the Retreat Sundeck.  If you booked a Royal Suite or higher, I assume you still would have the amenities included there (liquor in the room and unlimited specialty dining), but I don't know that and would want to confirm that prior to completing the booking.

d - Did you receive a particularly good price vs published on your sailing?

Regardless, I long to sail in the retreat one day, soon, if spouse permits. LOL

bon voyage

This is what just happened to me yesterday morning and I’m still shaking my head.  Last month we booked Apex IV cabin for 2022, ten night British Isles.  Booked AI with extra $32.00 (Canadian) for Refundable deposit.  Booked online.  Everything just dandy, exactly as shown online.  I was happy.  Booked Flights by Celebrity.  Also good to go.

My DH and I decided to move our cabin across from starboard to port.  Same cabin category, same price on line, same everything just a different cabin number.  Called Celebrity yesterday morning at 9:00 am.  Only waited 20 minutes and a very nice young lady changed the cabin and repeated back to me the price and promo was the same.  I asked if she could email me a Booking Confirmation.  Disconnected our call, as I didn’t want to keep her on the phone when she could be helping others.

Within ten minutes I received the email.  It looked like nothing I’ve ever seen!  Now, I had a NRD deposit with a $20.00 per person discount?  My AI perks were priced out individually and then deleted.  And, it indicated that my cancellation penalty was $1500.00 should I cancel the booking! 

I called Celebrity (on hold 45 minutes)  and now I was really upset.  I tried to hold it together while I was told that it was I who booked NRD!  Long story short, I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone to get it sorted out.  Finally, the supervisor cancelled the entire booking, including flights and did an entirely new booking and was able to transfer my deposit from the cancelled booking.

I stayed on the line while they emailed the confirmation to me and it was correct.  Changing cabins took a total of almost three hours and I gained about 500 new gray hairs!

Please, if you need to adjust your booking for any reason make sure you see and accept the changes.  Do not hang up before you do!

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL - g you sound like you are very understanding (read: intelligent), to begin with!!!

I really like how you presented the options, as I can wholeheartedly agree with the analysis, but then again there are more than a few of us looking for the cheap and gotcha at any turn.

This is not to say that the website OR agent OR TA do not make mistakes in fares and providing related information, which needs correction if it is so egregious it defies logical logic... a few have presented such situations, too.

Thanks, Bo!  Not sure about my intelligence.  I know some who would disagree with you. 😉

I guess it's just not difficult for me to understand. I get it.

Then again, I've sailed just about all the big cruise lines and have booked through their WEB sites.  So, I know when I see the really cheap fares to double and triple check them to make sure I have no surprises before booking.  Some have tier own versions of AI (NCL being the example I offered).  They actually make you proactively remove some of the perks if you don't want to pay for them.  Even their "Always Free" costs you something.

To me, Celebrity's AI is easier for me to understand.  You book that fare, or you book the new frills fare, which they call "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee".  It makes sense to me.

Then again, I always scroll down to the bottom of the booking page, regardless of cruise line, to see the definitions and asterisk explanations.

We're (GF and me) are looking at a December cruise.  I was surprised to notice you can get a Retreat cabin without the perks.  They show an AI fare and a Simply Sail fare.  I know what both mean.  I even used me CC# to book.  Even there, it's pretty clear what the fare is and what the category does/doesn't include.  So, simple for me to do a compare and contrast.

If what I'm hearing from others in this thread that they are being booking an AI fare without getting the AI perks, that's a different story.  And, given the fare codes, Celebrity should be able to fix that on the PCC end.  But, I use a TA.  She takes care of all that for me.

I know EXACTLY what I'm paying and what I'm getting before my credit card is charged.  My TA makes certain of providing that to me before I pull the trigger.  She enters in all the relevant rate codes and gives me a bottom line number.  Many times, she'll even give me several iterations for the fares for different categories on the same cruise.

That said, make up your mind what you want.  Look at the fares for the category you want.  Make your mind up from that point forward.  The nomenclature for perks included and perks not included is pretty simple to figure out.  At the end of the day, it's still up to you when you book what category you want.

I'd even go so far as to ask the Celebrity PCC to email a quote to you outlining what it is you tell them you want to book with all the particulars, so there's no confusion on either end.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thanks, Bo!  Not sure about my intelligence.  I know some who would disagree with you. 😉

I guess it's just not difficult for me to understand. I get it.

Then again, I've sailed just about all the big cruise lines and have booked through their WEB sites.  So, I know when I see the really cheap fares to double and triple check them to make sure I have no surprises before booking.  Some have tier own versions of AI (NCL being the example I offered).  They actually make you proactively remove some of the perks if you don't want to pay for them.  Even their "Always Free" costs you something.

To me, Celebrity's AI is easier for me to understand.  You book that fare, or you book the new frills fare, which they call "Simply Sail" or "Guarantee".  It makes sense to me.

Then again, I always scroll down to the bottom of the booking page, regardless of cruise line, to see the definitions and asterisk explanations.

We're (GF and me) are looking at a December cruise.  I was surprised to notice you can get a Retreat cabin without the perks.  They show an AI fare and a Simply Sail fare.  I know what both mean.  I even used me CC# to book.  Even there, it's pretty clear what the fare is and what the category does/doesn't include.  So, simple for me to do a compare and contrast.

If what I'm hearing from others in this thread that they are being booking an AI fare without getting the AI perks, that's a different story.  And, given the fare codes, Celebrity should be able to fix that on the PCC end.  But, I use a TA.  She takes care of all that for me.

I know EXACTLY what I'm paying and what I'm getting before my credit card is charged.  My TA makes certain of providing that to me before I pull the trigger.  She enters in all the relevant rate codes and gives me a bottom line number.  Many times, she'll even give me several iterations for the fares for different categories on the same cruise.

That said, make up your mind what you want.  Look at the fares for the category you want.  Make your mind up from that point forward.  The nomenclature for perks included and perks not included is pretty simple to figure out.  At the end of the day, it's still up to you when you book what category you want.

I'd even go so far as to ask the Celebrity PCC to email a quote to you outlining what it is you tell them you want to book with all the particulars, so there's no confusion on either end.

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

Simply Sail fares do not include a drinks package, gratuities or WiFi in any level cabin. 

You should see this when selecting a Suite Guarantee: 

316684494_ScreenShot2021-10-28at10_30_22AM.thumb.png.6d551a134a65f4c6fc316b72c1ff068c.png313461022_ScreenShot2021-10-28at10_30_41AM.thumb.png.657c42e271bff5a4833f6a24bf1cb94f.png

I completely agree that you SHOULD see that.  But here's what you currently see if you do nothing more than enter your CC number during booking:

364653445_Screenshot(13).thumb.png.0e3ce2614d1513605764c5541c4aa4ad.png

Even if you choose something other than the guarantee, you wind up with a "cruise only" booking.

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I completely agree that you SHOULD see that.  But here's what you currently see if you do nothing more than enter your CC number during booking:

Even if you choose something other than the guarantee, you wind up with a "cruise only" booking.

Because entering your CC# is triggering the Loyalty rate, not the Simply Sale rate. Two totally different fare structures. 

Simply Sail is always a GTY. Loyalty is not. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

d - Did you receive a particularly good price vs published on your sailing?

The only published prices I saw were during the booking.  Until you get into the booking and select a broad room category (e.g., oceanview or Retreat), pretty much the only pricing you can get is the "from +" price broken down by by those broad room catgories.

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Because entering your CC# is triggering the Loyalty rate, not the Simply Sale rate. Two totally different fare structures.

Yes, and nothing says that the "Loyalty rate" booking is cruise only.

12 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I still can't believe that this topic gets this much discussion...it is what it is.  Either the bottom line suits your needs, or it doesn't.  That's really all that matters.  

You should "believe" it easily, "PTC DAWG."  You are either not understanding the situation ... or -- if you do understand it --you are taking a "don't-give-a-damn" attitude toward it, instead of a realistic, compassionate attitude.

People are discussing this topic "like crazy," because the Internet-site bug has existed for almost three weeks -- possibly longer.  We exposed it here on October 10 -- and reported it to two people at "X" -- but nothing has been done to correct it.  A great injustice has been done to a large number of people, especially those who have "lost" money, and a huge amount of time that has been wasted on the phone.

We feel sure that there are people who have booked cruises (with "Loyalty NRD"), thinking that they have the three AI features -- but who will not find out UNTIL THEY GET ON BOARD that they have NO beverage package, have NO Internet package, and have NOT yet paid the service charges!!!

Another reason that people are discussing this like crazy is that they and we feel certain that Celebrity employees are monitoring this board [and possibly even posting here], and caring CruiseCritic members want "X" to know that they are STEAMED about what has been happening -- which they want to have fixed "immediately, if not sooner."

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Give it a couple of days and check back.  It sometimes takes a day or two for everything to properly update.  The OBC is there, so everything should line up with a little time.

Mine shows the OBC and now shows an amount($228), but, the option to prepay gratuities is still there.  It originally had no dollar amount, just the capability to prepay gratuities.  Does this mean it is applied?  I am going to request a booking confirmation in a week or so as I just booked on Tuesday.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

364653445_Screenshot(13).thumb.png.0e3ce2614d1513605764c5541c4aa4ad.png

I wonder if this is something that’s cruise specific or browser related?

I can’t do a cut and paste right now, but just looked at a random 12/4 APEX cruise just putting in my CC#.  I see something similar, but there is a panel underneath the one you show that has the “Simply Sail” fare that states the perks are optional.

As far as employees of Celebrity perusing here, I’d say they aren’t.  Over the years there have been rumors, and rarely, even a cruise line respondent here at CC.  But, that was many years ago.

They barely have enough customer service people back to work, let alone having any one looking at the CC threads.