Just Booked Our First Disney Cruise

leo72976

I just finished booking our very first Disney cruise ever.  We are experienced cruisers having sailed around 45 times with other cruise lines all over the world.  We are huge Disney fanatics and even got married at WDW.  I don’t know why but I had butterflies about booking this for my wife and I but the deal was too good to pass up.  We are saying on Disney Wonder on 10/31.  Do they do anything special for Halloween sailings?  Are we crazy for doing this without kids?  I’m just so nervous!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leo72976 said:

I just finished booking our very first Disney cruise ever.  We are experienced cruisers having sailed around 45 times with other cruise lines all over the world.  We are huge Disney fanatics and even got married at WDW.  I don’t know why but I had butterflies about booking this for my wife and I but the deal was too good to pass up.  We are saying on Disney Wonder on 10/31.  Do they do anything special for Halloween sailings?  Are we crazy for doing this without kids?  I’m just so nervous!!!

Generally, all cruises during October are Halloween on the High Seas cruises.  There's usually a Halloween night (pre-COVID) with trick or treating, and costume contests and other activities, but I'm not sure how they are handling that now.  The atrium would be pretty crowded on those nights, and I would think they don't want to do that now.

• Like 1

My wife and I sailed on the Wonder 8 years ago, no kids. The itinerary and schedule fit perfectly for a family event we were attending in Houston (Wonder was sailing out of Galveston at that time).

First off, Disney does a great job on their adults only areas. The staff are not afraid to tell the kids to leave (politely of course). I found the food to be excellent. Our favorite spot for breakfast was the aft dining room (not sure what it's called now since its been changed). They seat you, but food was served buffet style. My least favorite spot was the buffet. Also note that the buffet doesn't serve dinner as a buffet at night. Its a served dinner.

Go for it and have fun. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, leo72976 said:

"... Do they do anything special for Halloween sailings?  Are we crazy for doing this without kids?  I’m just so nervous!!!"

Leo - First of all re: Halloween sailings - there are a number of Facebook groups for the various Disney Wonder sailings coming up this month. They are all Halloween (HOTHS - Halloween On The High Seas) themed cruises. There are changes this year due to COVID ... such as no Trick-or-Treating ... change to fireworks scheduling ... Pirate Night, etc. You can read all about these on the above-mentioned Facebook group pages. Second - You are NOT crazy for sailing without kids ... there have been many adults sailing childless on Disney simply because the love the Disney vibe or the great onboard food and service. In fact, the Disney Wonder cruise that is going through the canal later this year will be pretty much child-free as it will only allow fully-vaccinated passengers - no exceptions made for those under the age of 12 who cannot (presently) get vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 6:52 PM, leo72976 said:

You will love it!! We have done 3 Disney sailings for our anniversary without kids and quite a few with kids. We love it both ways! 

• Like 1

Just got off board, believe it or not, it seemed like there were way fewer kids on board than normal due to the covid testing requirements (and school, probably).  Still a lot, but not nearly as much as normal.  Serenity Bay seemed about normal capacity while there were a lot more vacant chairs at the family beaches.  So, lots of adults go without children and more so right now.

Currently it's Halloween on the High Seas.  It's definitely toned down from prior years, but they do a few small shows outside and you can see the characters in their Halloween costumes.  Fireworks are currently "Ever After", a somewhat toned down firework show.  The decorations are nice and the "Halloween tree" is still up in the atrium for great photos.

• Like 1