Ovation of the Seas

tkwbear

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Hey Vince, were you on Majestic Princess?  And if so, was that the reason they gave you for delaying your sail away?

Who is Vince?

Majestic Princess on 9/26 had a delayed departure due to a storm in the Pacific.  They delayed the departure so they could follow the storm up the coast as it moved inland.  Captain didn't want to sail in 10m seas.  

Just now, twangster said:

Who is Vince?

Majestic Princess on 9/26 had a delayed departure due to a storm in the Pacific.  They delayed the departure so they could follow the storm up the coast as it moved inland.  Captain didn't want to sail in 10m seas.  

My apologies.  I thought you were someone else.  

Majestic had a COVID-related death on board that occurred the night before they arrived in Seattle.  The ship had to be USCG and CDC cleared to sail again.  I guess they didn't mention that part regarding the delay in sailing.  Oh well.  Probably better that the passengers didn't know that.  

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

My apologies.  I thought you were someone else.  

Majestic had a COVID-related death on board that occurred the night before they arrived in Seattle.  The ship had to be USCG and CDC cleared to sail again.  I guess they didn't mention that part regarding the delay in sailing.  Oh well.  Probably better that the passengers didn't know that.  

We knew.   I don't sensationalize COVID news on cruise ships.   At the time they were hundreds of daily COVID deaths occurring in the US.  One on a cruise ship isn't news.  

The storm was legitimate.  

The night of the 26th:

IMG_0512.thumb.jpeg.f137ca34ee31433b02042256da59cc74.jpeg

The next morning as we prepared to sail:

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.d0d40e009257e000be27f5920409bee0.jpeg

As it was it was a spirited ride following the storm. 

Then another storm was approaching on our way back and we had to skip Ketchikan to get ahead of it.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

We knew.   I don't sensationalize COVID news on cruise ships.   At the time they were hundreds of daily COVID deaths occurring in the US.  One on a cruise ship isn't news. 

I'm not sensationalizing it nor saying it was news.   I'm just saying it was part of the season you didn't sail.  

Anyways, too far off topic.  Have a splendid day.  

5 hours ago, modem9 said:

We were also on the Oct 1 sailing.  We did the Fish & Ships 3 times.  Service was VERY slow all 3 times even though there were very few ordering.  I thought the fish was just adequate, not at all what I expected considering that was 1 of only 3 items they were making.  The chicken strips was actually quite tasty and I switched to those.  Never tried the sandwich, it didn't look interesting.  They were out of the candy bars.

I think RCCL needs to reconsider this venue.  I LOVE fish and chips and was so glad they had a dedicated venue for them.  The reality was quite disappointing.

I'm impressed you were able to tolerate it 3 times. The fish had the consistency of lobster, not fish. It tasted awful. I had tried to order the popcorn shrimp and the candy bar but they were out of both. It was really cold in there, and what I ate I had to do standing up.

I usually eat fish on cruises a lot, but it's good on Holland America. I had a seafood linguini in the Windjammer which was good - except for the fish, which was hard and tasteless. In the Solarium Bistro and Jamie's, both waiters steered me away from the fish dishes. Maybe they were just clearing out the freezers, I can't imagine that it's always that bad.

I agree that overall, the fish dishes were disappointing.  At the Fish & Ships, I had just fish the first time, half fish, half chicken the second and only chicken the third.  I gave up on the fish but the chicken was actually quite tasty.

But I was also disappointed somewhat in the Dog House.  The servers there (both times) didn't seem to know what to do or where things were.  While the dogs were ok, it was very irritating that the sauerkaut had meat in it.  I am already getting a dog, I just wanted kraut on it, not more dog.  On top of that, the hot dog was beef but the extra meat in the sauerkraut was pork.  Just stupid.

Ovation has left Seattle. I found this.

Ovation Of The Seas current location is at North America West Coast (coordinates 48.35170 N / -124.16095 W) cruising en route to YUKON ANCH. The AIS position was reported 3 minutes ago.251DCCC4-1269-41AE-BA36-6015A53C0E17.thumb.png.e129015da71a7ce288442e4f75df52e6.png

I think Yukon Anchorage is pretty much straight across from Seattle in the sound.  The ship is probably up in the strait dumping sewage especially given the loops that it is making.  Then it will turn back toward Seattle and anchor over by Blake Island.

edit: it might also be making fresh water or something given how shallow the anchorages are.

edit2:  MarineTraffic says that it actually left a couple of days ago and will not get to its anchorage until tomorrow.  It is not apparent that it has been anchored anywhere for the last couple of days.  Maybe they were anchored just off Pier 91.

Edited by pretzlaff

16 minutes ago, pretzlaff said:

I think Yukon Anchorage is pretty much straight across from Seattle in the sound.  The ship is probably up in the strait dumping sewage especially given the loops that it is making.  Then it will turn back toward Seattle and anchor over by Blake Island.

edit: it might also be making fresh water or something given how shallow the anchorages are.

edit2:  MarineTraffic says that it actually left a couple of days ago and will not get to its anchorage until tomorrow.  It is not apparent that it has been anchored anywhere for the last couple of days.  Maybe they were anchored just off Pier 91.

Yesterday it showed the Ovation anchored in the sound.

Where it is anchored is Yukon Anchorage.  It is a government managed anchorage for ships that are sitting around for a while.  It is free/cheap and protected from the weather coming in from the Pacific.  It could be there for a while.

Too bad that they do not have 'cruises' where they tender you aboard and you spend a week at anchor.

1 hour ago, pretzlaff said:

Where it is anchored is Yukon Anchorage.  It is a government managed anchorage for ships that are sitting around for a while.  It is free/cheap and protected from the weather coming in from the Pacific.  It could be there for a while.

Too bad that they do not have 'cruises' where they tender you aboard and you spend a week at anchor.

So that is the area just a bit north of Blake Island?

I think that it is typically more west of Blake Island.  That way there is wind protection from all sides except the north.  The worst winds up there are oddly out of the east when a low passes south of the area.  Maybe they are north of the island because they are so big, or they need more anchor chain out/ swing area because they are so tall and have a ton of sail effect.  I don't really know.  I did, tho, watch all episodes of Gilligan's Island.

• Like 1

The anchorage at Manchester / Yukon bay is administered by the coast guard in seattle

the residents and politicians in Manchester have complained to the coast guard about noise and light pollution from the larger ships.

coast guard has designated five slots to anchor in the bay and north of Blake island.

so my guess is the coast guard has the ovation anchor in the slot north of Blake island to minimize the light and sound reaching Manchester 

even though RCL may want the protection from wind that would be better in the bay.

you can search for”more ships find home in Yukon harbor”  an article in the kitsap sun newspaper for more info

On 10/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, pretzlaff said:

Dumping sewage? I don't think so.

10 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I've found the text on this page is often worthless. If you click on the green dot, that's where the ship is.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9697753

That web site limits ship info to when it's within land AIS range - while it shows sat AIS ship locations, you don't seem to be able to get the details without a subscription. Cruisemapper does.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, modem9 said:

I think RCCL needs to reconsider this venue. 

A Johnny Rockets would go great there. .   I didnt partake in the Fish and Ships as I had read to many bad reviews.  No one hardly ate there the whole week.   The crew looked very bored.   Funny story about Ovation and a total case of assuming and lack of research on my part, I got the UDP for my cruise and JRs and Hibachi was a big part of the reason.   Ovation has neither LOL.  🙄

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

The Ovation pulled up anchor today and is shown as heading for the Elliot Bay East anchorage in Seattle 

but she is currently out in the straits west of port angeles.

what’s up with that?

maybe she will “racetrack” several loops up there again before returning to Seattle?

Found this on the West Seattle Blog tonight;  

Royal Caribbean International’s the Ovation of Seas will continue to spend more time around Puget Sound in the coming winter months under minimal operations. Currently, she is anchored in Yukon Harbor in Kitsap County, where the U.S. Coast Guard determines the berthing locations. She’ll spend approximately one week at anchor before heading out to coastal and international waters. She’ll then return to Pier 66 for the day on Friday, Nov. 12 for provisioning, bunkering, and crew movements. Then it’s back to Yukon Harbor and other movements out to sea before coming back to Pier 66 on Monday, Dec. 13 for more operations during the day. While in our waters, Ovation of the Seas utilizes marine gas oil (MGO), a low-sulfur fuel. In between these locations, it will be very possible to continue to see the Ovation of the Seas throughout our area.

The Ovation of the Seas should have been commencing a shortened Summer season cruising from Sydney, Australia from 13 December 2021 to 31 March 2022.  My family were booked on 2 cruises during this time.  Royal Caribbean cancelled the whole season because our inept Government could not be bothered to participate in talks to get cruising up and running by December 2021.  Royal Caribbean got sick and tired of waiting for a decision from our Government so they cancelled the whole season.

We now won't see the Ovation of the Seas down under until October 2022 if we are lucky.