Ovation of the Seas

tkwbear

I'm cruising this ship on Friday to Alaska. It has no scheduled stop in Ketchikan but it is docked there right now. The current itinerary is the same as mine, which includes a Sunday stop in Juneau.  Is the ship having issues or did they change the itinerary? Online it still shows Juneau.

3 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

I'm cruising this ship on Friday to Alaska. It has no scheduled stop in Ketchikan but it is docked there right now. The current itinerary is the same as mine, which includes a Sunday stop in Juneau.  Is the ship having issues or did they change the itinerary? Online it still shows Juneau.

I just looked at the rollcall for the current sailing.  They had an itinerary change due to weather that they were notified about on Friday.  This is the new itinerary:

《《NEW Itinerary》》

FRI 10/1 Seattle《-6pm》

SAT 10/2

SUN 10/3 Ketchikan 7am-4pm

MON 10/4 Juneau 11am-9pm

TUE 10/5 Skagway 7am-7pm

WED 10/6 (((Endicott Arm)))

THU 10/7 FRI 10/8 Seattle《8am-6pm》

• Like 1

Just got off a different line.  We dropped two ports this past week due to storms in the Pacific.  That began with us staying the night in Seattle at the start waiting for better seas before heading North causing up to lose Skagway then another storm impacted our return and we skipped Ketchikan coming South.

It's Alaska.  It happens.

• Like 1

Currently on the Ovation and we just sailed from Ketchikan.  Have been told by the Captain that it will be the normal itinerary next week unless the weather issue comes back up.  Supposedly, there are four low pressure fronts causing the current weather problem.

• Like 1

Have any of you tried Jamie's Italian on RCI? I usually sail Holland America, and I dislike their Italian restaurant, it reminds me of Chef Boyardee.

I love great Italian food, but Jamie is a Brit. How does that translate?

4 hours ago, tkwbear said:

Have any of you tried Jamie's Italian on RCI? I usually sail Holland America, and I dislike their Italian restaurant, it reminds me of Chef Boyardee.

We have eaten at Jamie's at least a half dozen times. I think it is pretty good, wife loves the chicken. I must say it is a downgraded Giovannis but still better than MDR. Never had a problem getting the Beef Tenderloin for two just for myself.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tkwbear said:

We have eaten at Jamies on Anthem a bunch of times.  I liked it better before they changed some of the recipes, like the eggplant parmesan, it is no longer breaded and fried.  They are changing up Jamies on some ships to a reimagined Giovannis Grill or Kitchen or something like that.  Haven't tried that yet.  We miss Portofino.  Never like Giovannis, hope the new restaurant is better.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, twangster said:

Just got off a different line.  We dropped two ports this past week due to storms in the Pacific.  That began with us staying the night in Seattle at the start waiting for better seas before heading North causing up to lose Skagway then another storm impacted our return and we skipped Ketchikan coming South.

It's Alaska.  It happens.

You were with my friends on the Majestic Princess.  😉 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GMoney said:

I’m currently on Ovation for 3 weeks 

25EC7E37-A8E4-4209-85C4-67AD5D1968D9.jpeg

That itinerary change shouldn't apply to this Friday. The weather will be better along the way. If you're on for three weeks, you lucked out in getting a change-up with Ketchikan. Congrats.

How have the crowds been aboard the ship? Steadily increasing each week or still at 35-40%

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

You are having good weather today and yesterday.

But, why did ship leave 2 hrs late  from Juneau? Even Celebrity left before your ship

No idea. The captain didn’t consult me. 🤣

3 minutes ago, grimaldi said:

That itinerary change shouldn't apply to this Friday. The weather will be better along the way. If you're on for three weeks, you lucked out in getting a change-up with Ketchikan. Congrats.

How have the crowds been aboard the ship? Steadily increasing each week or still at 35-40%

Increasing by about 500 each week. I’m hearing 3000 next week  but that’s unofficial. WJ is packed. Fortunately, I’m not impacted; I only go to 2 places - suite lounge and coastal kitchen. 🤣

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

Um okay.

Leaving late  2 hrs I would thought an announcement would have been made.

Sorry to have bothered you.

No bother. There was no announcement that I heard. It just had no impact on the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Increasing by about 500 each week. I’m hearing 3000 next week  but that’s unofficial. WJ is packed. Fortunately, I’m not impacted; I only go to 2 places - suite lounge and coastal kitchen. 🤣

Explains everything then

2 minutes ago, GMoney said:

I take it WJ isn't open for dinner yet? Must be packed to the gills in the theatre and Two70.

16 minutes ago, grimaldi said:

Great photograph -- beautiful weather. You hit the sweet-spot there. Was anything still open in Skagway in October or was it mostly closed for the season?

We totally lucked out. No rain in any port last week or this. I hiked and ran in Skagway, so I’m not sure what was available. White pass RR is running. I saw lots of passengers returning with packages, so I’m assuming some stores were open. Town is just very quiet. 

33 minutes ago, GMoney said:

We totally lucked out. No rain in any port last week or this. I hiked and ran in Skagway, so I’m not sure what was available. White pass RR is running. I saw lots of passengers returning with packages, so I’m assuming some stores were open. Town is just very quiet. 

Where'd you go hiking/running? Need ideas for next time I'm up there. I hit up AB Mountain, was an awesome workout but way too foggy to make it to the summit, unfortunately.

PXL_20210913_160748881.jpg

PXL_20210913_162135389.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210913_163209392.jpg

PXL_20210913_165051460.jpg

PXL_20210913_165212791.jpg

PXL_20210913_170904780.jpg

PXL_20210913_171617524.jpg

PXL_20210913_172634723.jpg

PXL_20210913_171807233.MP.jpg

PXL_20210913_174547615.jpg

PXL_20210913_180013466.jpg

PXL_20210913_180435586.jpg

PXL_20210913_180921239.jpg

PXL_20210913_174238881.jpg

PXL_20210913_171332176.MP.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

You are having good weather today and yesterday.

But, why did ship leave 2 hrs late  from Juneau? Even Celebrity left before your ship

I fell asleep early, so I wasn’t even aware it left late. We were still early getting into Skagway today. It was all aboard at 8:30, and we are an hour earlier than Seattle. Hopefully we do get to Sitka next week, as I haven’t been. 

Edited by crzndeb