Electrical Power in your cabin

wgeddings

On 11/13/2021 at 4:07 PM, jimbo1683 said:

Not really sure what you mean by that. Every major hotel chain i have ever stayed in around the world uses this system - Hilton, IHG, Radisson, Accor etc.

I have stayed in many hotels in the US and Canada and never encountered the “put a card in the slot for electricity” other than on a cruise.  US and UK are probably just different.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 6:49 AM, wgeddings said:

We noticed a lot of people standing in line at guest services because "the electrical power in the cabin was not working".  I could not properly put the post with the pictures so I have linked a document to help you.  The power in your cabin IS probably working but you have to insert a card into a slot on the wall.  Also, I have a picture of what the power outlet in your cabin looks like and voltage information.  Note that if  you use a CPAP machine or other device that is on your bedside, the power outlet is normally across the cabin from your bedside table so you will need an extension cord. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GX0cj8QfdH6ScRgPgH5QlYYmLG3vPbUW/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108970385543689336339&rtpof=true&sd=true

I was told by my dr to never use an extension cord for my CPAP.  it also says that in the manual.  ?

55 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

I was told by my dr to never use an extension cord for my CPAP.  it also says that in the manual.  ?

I’m not a doctor and don’t know about your CPAP. I know I have a CPAP, my wife has.a CPAP and several friends have CPAP and we all commonly use extension cords.  If you go on a cruise and try to plug in your CPAP without an extension cord, you are going to have trouble because the bed is not usually close enough to the outlet.  

some extension cords are not rated for the power required by a CPAP so that might be your doctor’s concern but ask the doctor.  

7 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

I think the only danger you can find with extension cords is the fire hazard where you have the thing heat up melt and short out.  You need a tightly wound 50 metres one with a heavy power load exceeding the capacity of the wire thickness.  I cant see any problems with a short lead with wires that can take the relevant power load.

Regards John

Another possibility is if the cabin does require you to use a current cabin card is to ask guest services for a duplicate card. (You would of course time this for when there was no line.) Many cruise lines also have a dedicated phone number for housekeeping, so if you need to talk to your steward and don't want to troll the halls waiting for him/her you could put in a call for them.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 6:25 PM, wgeddings said:

I’m not a doctor and don’t know about your CPAP. I know I have a CPAP, my wife has.a CPAP and several friends have CPAP and we all commonly use extension cords.  If you go on a cruise and try to plug in your CPAP without an extension cord, you are going to have trouble because the bed is not usually close enough to the outlet.  

some extension cords are not rated for the power required by a CPAP so that might be your doctor’s concern but ask the doctor.  

I will 🙂  another thing.  Mine is a Dreamstation.  recalled.  But, haven't heard a peep about this lately. hopefully, I eventually get one 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:22 AM, john watson said:

I think the only danger you can find with extension cords is the fire hazard where you have the thing heat up melt and short out.  You need a tightly wound 50 metres one with a heavy power load exceeding the capacity of the wire thickness.  I cant see any problems with a short lead with wires that can take the relevant power load.

Regards John

Something to note is that the cruise line will normally provide you with a complimentary extension cord.  It is a heavy duty one.  MSC charged a deposit but that was returned at the end of the cruise when I left the cord in the cabin.  Carnival charged no deposit at all and the last 2 Carnival cruises, as we got to the room and saw our room steward, I requested an extension cord for my CPAP (and also a fan because I like to sleep colder than the rooms get) and both were brought quickly and with no questions.