How is Carnival Handling Muster?

On the Miracle they had people in the boarding area when we first got on the ship, sending people directly to their muster stations.  Once 12-15 people were they they went through a very brief demonstration of how to don a life vest, told us about the emergency signal, and took our cabin numbers.  That was it.  A quick 1-2 minute muster.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

On the Miracle they had people in the boarding area when we first got on the ship, sending people directly to their muster stations.  Once 12-15 people were they they went through a very brief demonstration of how to don a life vest, told us about the emergency signal, and took our cabin numbers.  That was it.  A quick 1-2 minute muster.

We plan on just doing it right away. The sooner done the sooner we are officially on vacation.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Good to know!  Thanks for sharing!

6 minutes ago, lovingretirement said:

Good to know!  Thanks for sharing!

Every cruise so far has had many stragglers that couldn't be bothered to complete this simple muster check-off detail. Their 

S&S cards are disabled and repeated announcements made. I believe it even caused at least one cruise to be delayed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mondello said:

Every cruise so far has had many stragglers that couldn't be bothered to complete this simple muster check-off detail. Their 

S&S cards are disabled and repeated announcements made. I believe it even caused at least one cruise to be delayed.

Well, to tell the truth it didn't seem that Carnival did as much as they should have to make sure everyone knew about this in advance.  I knew of the change because of reading it here, but for those who had never cruised before it's very possible they simply didn't know what a "mustard drill" was an that they were supposed to be involved.  In my most humble of opinions Carnival should have done a much better job of communicating this.

My understanding is the S&S card is shutoff at 1PM until your muster drill is done and locked after two drinks. 

I just want to know if you can do the video parts while waiting on the terminal. That would pass some time or even working up the long gangway.

31 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

My understanding is the S&S card is shutoff at 1PM until your muster drill is done and locked after two drinks. 

I just want to know if you can do the video parts while waiting on the terminal. That would pass some time or even working up the long gangway.

Video part? Wow...we missed that last week. However, when we got done our "muster drill"...all I could say to my wife was....God help us if there is an actual emergency. After we checked in, grabbed some lunch, we tossed our stuff in our cabin, and headed to "the muster drill"...2 other folks were there...a crew member "demonstrated how to put on the life vest"....with input from another crew member. Done. took maybe 2 minutes. Just before sail away the CD made the general announcement that was made in past drills...about the horns that go off etc. Was, quick, easy...but.....guess there was the video on the tv in the cabin....

Edited by bar1068
misspelled words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

However, when we got done our "muster drill"...all I could say to my wife was....God help us if there is an actual emergency.

I mean, it's common sense...buckle 2 clips on the jacket, and follow crew instruction...Do we need a 30 minute demonstration of that?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Video part? Wow...we missed that last week. However, when we got done our "muster drill"...all I could say to my wife was....God help us if there is an actual emergency. After we checked in, grabbed some lunch, we tossed our stuff in our cabin, and headed to "the muster drill"...2 other folks were there...a crew member "demonstrated how to put on the life vest"....with input from another crew member. Done. took maybe 2 minutes. Just before sail away the CD made the general announcement that was made in past drills...about the horns that go off etc. Was, quick, easy...but.....guess there was the video on the tv in the cabin....

Yes, you nailed it. "God help us if there is a real emergency".

Does anyone believe that if the pandemic was totally ended they would go back to real muster drills now that passengers have experienced the faux muster drills? 

Just now, ontheweb said:

Yes, you nailed it. "God help us if there is a real emergency".

Does anyone believe that if the pandemic was totally ended they would go back to real muster drills now that passengers have experienced the faux muster drills? 

The only real different now is you aren't gathered with 800 other people at a set time. The content is identical

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Pretty much the same thing on the Panorama September 11th - 8th 2021. Not difference, we had 5 people and the crew member began the presentation. Short & sweet as nwcruiselover said … just a few minutes. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

2 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

The only real different now is you aren't gathered with 800 other people at a set time. The content is identical

Agreed.  Find your muster station.  If there is an emergency, go there.  If you need meds, grab them and your life vest.  Anyone who has snorkeled can figure out how to put on the life vest.  Why make it harder than it needs to be?  I have been advocating for this for years, and the cruise lines finally fixed it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

No, you have missed something very important. As our favorite chief ship engineer @chengkp75has  pointed out several times, the muster drill is more for the crew. It is the only time they get to "herd" (his term passengers.

Do you really think taking a few passengers at a time is the same thing?

On Royal we were sent an email reminder to first watch the muster drill video (which we did at our hotel before we arrived at the terminal) and after completing that then come to our muster stations.

There were questions you had to answer about the content of the video you just saw, I am assuming to prove you watched and understood the instructions.

After this we went to our muster station, listened to a 2-3 min briefing, received our stickers proving we were there, had our names checked off and we were on our way.

Edited by GTO-Girl

In the pre-covid traditional muster drills, we spent a lot of time just standing there waiting for everyone to show up.  Once the actual drill started, it didn’t last longer than 5 minutes or so. This was so much better and kept people from crowding together.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

Well, to tell the truth it didn't seem that Carnival did as much as they should have to make sure everyone knew about this in advance.  I knew of the change because of reading it here, but for those who had never cruised before it's very possible they simply didn't know what a "mustard drill" was an that they were supposed to be involved.  In my most humble of opinions Carnival should have done a much better job of communicating this.

I will tell you that the onboard info/announcements were significantly better last week on Horizon than they were a month earlier on Sunrise, admittedly only on her 4th cruise back then.  Last week, frequent announcements were made of exactly how/when/how easy. I trust that made a meaningful difference regarding early compliance.

1 hour ago, mondello said:

I heard there was to be a video component to the muster drill that guests would watch in their cabin. However, seems to have gone by the wayside, haven't heard of any ships using the video?

I saw YouTube videos where they had to watch the 2-3 short videos, then go to Muster to finish it all. I think the one above where you have to go to Muster on MG to get the life jackets is even better. I think it would be better and easier to have people go to Muster to get their S&S cards. This way there are no drinks or room access until you do it. Go to your Muster, get it done, then get your S&S cards and lifejackets handed to you so you can enjoy the cruise. This way you go to your cabin right after to drop them off and get on your way.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bar1068 said:

However, when we got done our "muster drill"...all I could say to my wife was....God help us if there is an actual emergency. 

While not an incorrect statement. The outcome is really no different than before. Few ever paid attention or can even really hear exactly what was being said

Someone from CC complained to JH that “most” people want to go back to the old muster drill and stop with the faux drill. 🤦‍♀️ Please stop speaking for all of us. The new drill is good the way it is as there is absolutely no reason that we all need to be packed on the decks to hear the same thing we can inside. It’s not hard to put on a life jacket and you can go find your muster station in your own time.

I know Royal was doing this just before the pandemic, they were using IPads to answer questions after a quick briefing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1