Covid on Iona

Cathygh

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you certain that Staysure would pay out anything to a non positive companion who elects to remain with their partner if they have to quarantine, since they would probably argue that YOU decided to cut your cruise 

To answer your question, no I can't be certain, but then remaining onboard if your partner tests positive is not an option is it?

And if it is, there's no claim.

If Its PO's decision to remove a passenger who tests negative I fail to see why any insurance company wouldn't pay out. If anyone finds themselves in this position I'd suggest that they ask PO for written evidence proving that the decision to do so was theirs alone which the passenger can then pass to their insurers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Son of Bare said:

If Its PO's decision to remove a passenger who tests negative I fail to see why any insurance company wouldn't pay out. If anyone finds themselves in this position I'd suggest that they ask PO for written evidence proving that the decision to do so was theirs alone which the passenger can then pass to their insurers.

I believe it was the Spanish authorities who insisted they remove the non  positive passenger

1 hour ago, Son of Bare said:

To answer your question, no I can't be certain, but then remaining onboard if your partner tests positive is not an option is it?

I thought that in Iona's case it was the Cadiz port authority that made the decision but, as in all medical disembarkations it's the couples decision as to whether the non ill partner also leaves the cruise or stays on board.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought that in Iona's case it was the Cadiz port authority that made the decision but, as in all medical disembarkation it's the couples decision as to whether the non ill partner also leaves the cruise or stays on board.

I don’t believe it was the couples decision. The Cadiz authority insisted they left. 

11 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I don’t believe it was the couples decision. The Cadiz authority insisted they left. 

I was referring to the partner that was not ill, although in this case it was Cadiz that insisted the passenger that tested positive be taken to a quarantine hotel, I doubt that they would have insisted their partner who had tested negative should also leave the cruise, but if the couple wanted to stay together they would have concurred.

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The main difference is that my means of transport home would be disappearing oven the horizon without me.  I've chosen not to fly anymore, so I simply wouldn't be on a hotel break in Spain in the first place! 

I'd fly home if there was no other choice, even if I found it stressful, but it would not be something I would really want to do. But it would cause significant problems for my friend who has a middle ear problem and flying gives her agonising ear ache. 

You are taking my post too literally. The point is that all holidays are affected by quarantine rules.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cleethorpes it is then. Fish and chips on the pier at Papa’s. Test positive and they dump you off the end of the pier to quarantine. 

They give you the choice of quarantine for 5 days in Grimsby, or 10 days in Fred's B&B in Cleethorpes. Most sensible people choose Fred's!

This is from Cruiselawnews website:

It appears crew and close contacts stay on board and quarantine. (They do on Royal Caribbean at least)

Fifteen Crew Members on Allure of the Seas Test Positive for COVID-19

By Jim Walker on October 12, 2021
POSTED IN DISEASE

Fifteen (15) crew members on the Allure of the Seas tested positive for COVID-19 last week. The crew members and an undetermined number of close contacts were required to quarantine on the ship.

This inside information was provided from a Royal Caribbean crew member on this ship who prefers to remain anonymous.

This Royal Caribbean cruise ship which departed from Port Canaveral on Monday, is currently sailing on a “Western Caribbean Perfect Day itinerary.

Royal Caribbean requires its crew members on this ship to be fully vaccinated. This is another example of “breakthrough infections’ of already vaccinated crew members which has occured regularly on cruise ships lately.

12 hours ago, Rebjon said:

P&O sold foreign cruises whilst keeping their customers in the dark that they would offload them AND their non positive partners to a quarantine hotel if they tested positive. This is what is indefensible.

Unless you have not read, listened, or watched anything about COVID in the last 18 months then you will know that it takes a certain amount of time between being infected and showing positive in a test. 

Therefore if someone has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, you cannot with certainty say they are (in your words) “non positive”. Only repeated testing over a period of time will confirm they are not infected.

As for “keeping their customers in the dark that they would offload them” then off course it wasn’t P&O that ‘offloaded them’ but the Spanish authorities who insisted they were offloaded; an important difference. 

And that is the issue of booking during a global pandemic - what the Spanish authorities (or the Portuguese, or Italian, or French, etc. etc.) might say they will do this morning might have changed by this afternoon or tomorrow. 

If you want certainly of what will happen to you if you or someone you are in close contact with is infected with COVID then I suggest that booking a cruise during a global pandemic isn’t a sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, Son of Bare said:

For all those people who are now frantically calling their insurance brokers and checking the small print of their policies, I can tell you that when my partner was evacuated alongside of me to spend 3 weeks in Norwegian hotel while I was being treated in a Norwegian hospital in 2019, our insurers Cover for You picked up the bill including every single penny of my partners expenses. 

This time around, for medical reasons, we've chosen to go with Staysure but would thoroughly recommend every aspect of the service provided to us by C4Y.

That’s good to know as that’s who my insurance is with!

18 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Interestingly I've taken a call from Cover For You an hour ago on behalf of my octogenarian aunt. They had taken the opportunity to speak directly to the underwriter and claims department.  Both said there would be no cover at all, neither quarantine or curtailment as the risk would be known by the purchaser

14 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That’s good to know as that’s who my insurance is with!

Sorry!!!!

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry!!!!

Argh! The perils of answering before I’d gone through all the many replies. My cruise isn’t until June but it’s 14 nights to the Med and I’m getting anxious! Husband really wants to wait before deciding what to do though.

11 hours ago, Son of Bare said:

Unfortunately, though, insurers pay out only for very clearly defined and limited specific events. If it’s not an insured event, as defined in the terms and conditions, no payment.

42 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Argh! The perils of answering before I’d gone through all the many replies. My cruise isn’t until June but it’s 14 nights to the Med and I’m getting anxious! Husband really wants to wait before deciding what to do though.

I think your husband is right.  You presumably only have a deposit paid at present and can move if necessary.  This situation currently affects those who have paid upfront the entire cost of their holidays or their balance at 90 days. 

The argument going forward is if the cruise companies can be persuaded to take a buyer beware approach for people making bookings and perhaps enter discussions with the insurance companies they deal with to get some sort of add on we can purchase to cover these events just for cruises.  The latter, of course, will depend on how many people it's actually happening to and that's the how long is a piece of string problem!

Nobody, including the cruise lines apparently, realised this disembarking might result in possible problems and more importantly, no one knows what action the cruise lines are taking to assist those affected and informed decisions cannot be taken until they tell us.

For my part I now know there could be a problem and am asking them the question and await answers. My advice for what it's worth would be to do the same as the more people who contact the cruise lines, the harder it is for them to ignore the question.  No pressure from one individual will result in an answer unfortunately, but possibly if a lot ask they may feel they should open up. 

It's an easy choice: ask the questions that are worrying you or decide its easier to relax and wait to see.  I

Edited by Megabear2
Missed words
  • Like 1

Now this is interesting!! From MSE insurance boards.

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC or refund for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.

Unquote

Perhaps we have clauses like this and haven't been aware!? 

I've asked my contact the million dollar question ...

Thank you once more for your extremely prompt reply.

During my research into insurance policies I have had a reply from a fellow cruiser who use another cruise line. He kindly pointed me to this clause in the terms and conditions of his cruise line:

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC or refund for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.

Unquote

Could you please advise if P&O and Cunard have a clause such as this as clearly it would remove my insurance worries.

I thank you once more for your help in this matter.

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've asked my contact the million dollar question ...

Thank you once more for your extremely prompt reply.

During my research into insurance policies I have had a reply from a fellow cruiser who use another cruise line. He kindly pointed me to this clause in the terms and conditions of his cruise line:

Unquote

Could you please advise if P&O and Cunard have a clause such as this as clearly it would remove my insurance worries.

I thank you once more for your help in this matter.

Covered here no?

On 10/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, funinhounslow said:

P&O terms and conditions, para 23:

In addition, any Guest who, in the opinion of P&O Cruises and/or the Master and/or a member of ship’s medical staff, demonstrates the symptoms of a viral illness (including but not limited to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) may be disembarked by P&O Cruises without any further liability

https://www.pocruises.com/legal-and-privacy/booking-terms-and-conditions

Well its certainly not the same as the Azamara one if that is the case! Where's the bit equivalent to "Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance."? 

53 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Azamara are not really in the same price league as P&O though are they?

You pays your money...

And the relevance of this when it comes to clarity is???

If you ended up in quarantine x 2 with no cover for one set of costs you could pay for that Azamara cruise plus quite a lot more!