Circumnavigation of Australia Cruise

mertziek

Has anyone done this?  If so, what are pros and cons?  We are looking at 2023.  If you can’t do the circumnavigation cruise, has anyone combined Northern and Southern routes to essentially do the circumnavigation of Australia that way?  If yes, advantages to booking it that way as B2B cruise.  TIA

Whenever they offer a Collector's Voyage where they combine B2B cruises, there is some cost-savings built in as opposed to booking each segment separately.

Have you seen this posted somewhere for 2023 already and if so, when is it being offered and on which ship?  It's definitely something we'd consider doing depending on the timing.  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mertziek said:

Has anyone done this?  If so, what are pros and cons?  We are looking at 2023.  If you can’t do the circumnavigation cruise, has anyone combined Northern and Southern routes to essentially do the circumnavigation of Australia that way?  If yes, advantages to booking it that way as B2B cruise.  TIA

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Whenever they offer a Collector's Voyage where they combine B2B cruises, there is some cost-savings built in as opposed to booking each segment separately.

Have you seen this posted somewhere for 2023 already and if so, when is it being offered and on which ship?  It's definitely something we'd consider doing depending on the timing.  Thanks!

We did this cruise and loved it. It was two segments at the time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Not seeing anything for 2023 yet.  But the 2022 on Noordam is very appealing to us.

5 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Not seeing anything for 2023 yet.  But the 2022 on Noordam is very appealing to us.

We have friends onboard Nieuw Amsterdam doing the repo through the Canal ... she's going to check with the future cruise desk to see if they have any info.  I'll post back here if I hear anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zelker said:

We have friends onboard Nieuw Amsterdam doing the repo through the Canal ... she's going to check with the future cruise desk to see if they have any info.  I'll post back here if I hear anything.

Thanks.  I’m waiting to hear back from a Holland America PCC but not hearing a lot of good about them.  😩🤭

• Like 1

I did the circumnavigation a few years ago.  I first did the TP from Vancouver to Sydney and then the circumnavigation. If I remember correctly, you could do segments of the circumnavigation.  I recall Australians getting on in Perth.  I stayed in Australia afterwards to go to Uluru (Ayer's Rock), King's Canyon and Alice Springs and then went back to Darwin. The port stop at Darwin is not long enough to really see anything of the Northern Territory.  I flew home from Darwin stopping in Shanghai for several days en route.   I thought it was a good way to see  much of Australia around the coast. I really enjoyed the entire trip.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ottawa traveller said:

I did the circumnavigation a few years ago.  I first did the TP from Vancouver to Sydney and then the circumnavigation. If I remember correctly, you could do segments of the circumnavigation.  I recall Australians getting on in Perth.  I stayed in Australia afterwards to go to Uluru (Ayer's Rock), King's Canyon and Alice Springs and then went back to Darwin. The port stop at Darwin is not long enough to really see anything of the Northern Territory.  I flew home from Darwin stopping in Shanghai for several days en route.   I thought it was a good way to see  much of Australia around the coast. I really enjoyed the entire trip.

Likewise, we did the 52 day TP from Seattle and circumnavigation followed by a 14 day New Zealand cruise (flew back from Auckland) Sept. De. 2016 aboard the Maasdam. We enjoyed every moment.

I haven't looked at the 2023 offering but you should have a great time.

Be well.

Bob 

• Like 1

We did the first circumnavigation that HAL did and it was great! We had the greatest Aussie CD who really made it enjoyable with so many fun. Each day, in the daily program (whatever it was called back then), we had Aussie language lessons. Someone with whom we traveled did it again later and said it didn't have the same vibe as the first one did, but I'm sure it'll be great. Sometimes, when we've been there, done that, we have the same reaction. Right now, I just want to do anywhere AGAIN and don't care much where that may be.

• Like 1

We haven't done the circumnavigation but have cruised from Sydney to Adelaide and Sydney to Darwin on separate cruises.  Even though we live in Australia we still enjoy seeing our country.  There may be quite a few sea days depending on the number of ports because Australia is a big country.  The only downside is that you don't get to see a lot that's more inland while on the cruise.  I don't mind where I go, I just want to cruise again!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mertziek said:

Similar to a couple of other posters, we were on the 2016 TP from Seattle, around Oz, then the Kiwi leg. It still ranks as a top contender for our best ever cruise. Every port was graced with extraordinarily helpful locals, great public transit if you wanted to explore on your own and always great usage of the oceanfront by each city.

I have nothing to critique about the trip, other than it was not really feasible to see anything in the Australian interior (without missing great stuff on the coasts) unless you stopped in Sydney post-cruise and took on some land travel.

Especially if you have not visited Australia, it's a wonderful way to get a flavour for such a vast country. We are very hopeful that the area will reopen in 2023. 🍺🥌

• Like 2