The Daily for Sunday October 10, 2021

richwmn

Today is Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, and International Newspaper Carrier Day

The beginning is the most important part of the work. -- Plato

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Bacon Ranch Bubble-Up Bake

Drink of the Day - Verde Shots

Wine of the day - Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay California Vintner's Reserve 2015

Destination of the Day - Nafplion Greece

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Puerto Vallarta MX

Rhodes Island, Greece
Eurodam 00:00 - 18:00

San Diego
Koningsdam

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

1010Europe2.thumb.png.c7cc29e1e3e87cd5db7db2334d778575.png

1010Europe.thumb.png.de11e5dc7b1862ef45a50a465d527517.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Just lost my reply!  Thank you for the Daily Report.  We are currently on the NA and enjoying it thoroughly.  Cabo San Lucas was glorious yesterday, honestly.  Clear, beautiful, warm weather.  Turtles near the ship all day; plenty of tenders, no waiting around at all.  Started at 8:00 a. on time.  We were the only ship at anchor, so things were quiet and lovely.  The capt. had permission to sail close to the arches to see the sea lions as we departed.  We are so grateful to be sailing and happy to be on the NA.  Glad to wear our masks and behave.  Our best to everyone.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

It’s not often I’m up this early.  Happy Sunday, all, and thanks to Rich and everyone for all the news.  I guess 00:00 is noon, and that is exactly when we arrived in Rhodes.  The others have gone walking, but I turned around and came back to the ship after about 20 minutes.  It is warm, and we have a tour tomorrow, so I will save my energy for that.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  Columbus Day and Indigenous Peoples Day.  I thought that was tomorrow.  But we should honour our Indigenous People everyday.

A salute to newspaper carriers.

Great quote.

The dinner sounds good - looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are wonderful too.

We are celebrating our Thanksgiving Day dinner today - we'll have ham, scalloped potatoes, a veg and salad.  And apple dumplings for dessert.  Of course, there will be wine too.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.

Stay safe.

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Like 23

Thank you for the Sunday (and first double digit day of October) Daily, Rich.  I subbed as a paper carrier for someone else for a few weeks while he was on vacation, probably when I was about 13 o4 14.  A salute to this weekend's holidays.  I have not been to Nafplion.  Love the Plato quote.  I'll wait to see what @dfish has to say about the menu suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 19, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes10.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
smitty34877's family (DGD double broken lists plus covid family)
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
Quartzite Cruisers antivax neighbors
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers

Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne at sea
Bon Voyage Ancient Wander,  Sharon, and lazey1
Welcome home Mr. Boston
Crazy for Cats in PA
ger_77in Calgary
Columbus Day, Indigenous People’s Day, and Thanksgiving Weekend
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon from a sunny 66°F North East coast of England.

We have been to church this morning and I said prayers for all our friends on the care lists.

Many thanks for today's daily Rich and Roy for posting the care, celebrations and shout outs lists.

Interesting at least 13 states do not celebrate Columbus Day.

Indigenous American day recognising in particular the Indian tribes is important.

The newspaper delivery people do a tremendous job ensuring we all get our daily newspapers although these days most of us can see the news from the internet.

Interesting quote.

Nice food and drink.

Greece has many lovely ports but today's is one we have not visited.

Best wishes for all those sailing now or in the next few days.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

16338647159475189948666535404222.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  A salute to our indigenous people and newspaper carriers.  I thought Columbus Day was on the 11th like our Thanksgiving?  No matter - happy Columbus Day weekend to all our CC friends south of the border 🙂 

D36CFCA8-CE6B-4D11-8573-7BA53D8E1530.gif.e9de2fda0844a39f4b1abe7223c4e384.gif

LOL - that quote of Plato’s is so true.  If you don’t start, it doesn’t happen.  The meal suggestion sounds good but with a turkey in the fridge I think we will pass on the chicken today.  I think I will be preparing our Thanksgiving dinner today since tomorrow sounds like it will be much warmer and I will be able to work outside easier 😉 

I did get all my begonias dug up yesterday 😞 (hate saying good bye to all my plants) and have 6 trays of bulbs drying.  I’ll need to get a lot of energy to attack the dahlias.

BC93CBE0-D25F-4ED5-98E2-EAE9FBCED008.jpeg.a11915f4b291f4ed8bdcbbf3e1b4b019.jpeg

We’ve been to lots of places in Greece but not this port I don’t believe.

Great to see a 3rd BHB starting up.  I’ve really been enjoying the LIVE thread and all the posts by Ann & Colin.  Very informative, helpful and interesting!

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!

31CC7EC1-2EF3-4FC2-AAC0-A2308D9AEB61.jpeg.68b306e9d310a45a349091c817da2bcf.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists!  Morning Dailyite family.  It is a lovely morning here. I am off to the gym and then food shopping. I will check back in later. The meal sounds nummy!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay California Vintner's Reserve 2015

All vintages of this wine share the same excellent ratings, so pick up one you can find for a decent price. And you shouldn’t pay more than $15. I did find one online distributor selling the 2015 vintage for such a ridiculous price, I startled Bindi when I yelled “No way!” out loud. 
Winemaker Notes

#28 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Beautifully integrated tropical flavors such as pineapple, mango, and papaya with citrus notes that explode in your mouth. These flavors delicately intertwine with aromas of vanilla and honey to create depth and balance throughout. A hint of toasted oak and butter rounds out the long, lingering finish.

WS91 Wine Spectator: Plush, with loads of richness to the well-honed flavors of beeswax, baked pear and lemon tart. Minerally midpalate, presenting a fresh and zesty finish that finishes with pastry notes. Drink now through 2020.
WE91 Wine Enthusiast: A staple of California winemaking, this vintage is as good as ever—perfectly polished, with light aromas of toasted oak and crisp green apple, lemon-lime and tempting butter flavors, and a medium-bodied frame. The texture is silky smooth, and everything tastes harmonious and balanced. 
Editors’ Choice

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

I remember growing up in Chicago and Columbus Day was a day off from school.

HAL Navigator says we have 55 days 17 hours until sailing on the Koningsdam!

• Like 18

Good morning.  Great group of days.  When the pandemic began our local paper went to 5 days delivery and 2 days online.  I'm sure that has been hard on the carriers income.  The Plato quote is spot on.  Many don't begin.  Will skip the meal as we had chicken last night.  Have not been to Greece, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. Virtual hugs to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Verde Shots:

INGREDIENTS
2 oz Jose Cuervo Especial® Silver* 1 oz Verde (made of blended pineapple juice, cilantro, jalapeño & mint)
PREPARATION
Add pineapple juice, cilantro, jalapeño and mint in the blender and blend. Pour into shot glass. Pour Cuervo into another shot glass and chase with the mix.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.28.59 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday was forecast to be gray and rainy and it was beautiful out.  Today is supposed to be partly sunny and dry.  Let's see what happens.  

Some great celebrations today.  Many communities are turning away from celebrating Columbus Day due to his reputation of not being such a nice guy.  Indigenous Peoples Day is a day to celebrate.  When on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska we attended an EXC talk about the indigenous people of Alaska and the attempt to wipe out their culture and language.  

The wine today is a good one.  It is one of my go to white wines.  The drink sounds like one I would like.

Today's meal is one that probably tastes wonderful, but it certainly wouldn't work for anyone watching their diet.   I imagine it started out with something like this:  https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/chicken-bacon-ranch-bubble-up-bake/70e5c155-0012-46b5-ae98-5d198fb284fc

764286378_Chickenbaconranchbubbleup.jpg.86027e01a7a164bdc78237ed3a3df583.jpg

And, as recipes go, we tinker with them to improve them and come up with the following:

https://drizzlemeskinny.com/creamy-chicken-bacon-ranch-bubble-up/

1989845425_chickenbaconranchbubbleup2.jpg.48f9d6875596ffa86eca4b8a38148d7d.jpg

The above recipe cuts the calories and fat to levels that aren't lethal.  

This one falls between the two above calorie and fat content wise.  It is more towards the healthier end.   https://theskinnyishdish.com/loaded-chicken-bubble-up-bake/

1171037470_chickenranchbubbleup3.jpg.8262991315d41dfe516d62ca95b78228.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 10

Mea culpa

The main source I use for the 'holiday' list has today as Columbus Day / Indigenous People Day but also has a notation of '2nd Monday in October'.

Columbus Day is one of eleven federal holidays recognized nationwide by the United States Government. All non-essential federal government offices are closed on Columbus Day, and all federal employees are paid even if they receive the day off. Many private-sector employees will also receive paid time off or special holiday pay on Columbus Day.

Columbus day commemorates the arrival of the Christopher Columbus in the Americas. It is celebrated every second Monday of October, and has been a federal holiday since 1937.

The original day was October 12th, the day Columbus first set foot on North American Soil.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the recipes Debbie @dfish.  Thinking this could be a good recipe for leftover turkey 😉 

Speaking of turkey, just a reminder to everyone having it with fur babies that turkey is NOT good for pets.  it’s not like chicken.

BA7A0415-E117-4D2B-BEB5-983C6D4A1EE3.thumb.jpeg.aaab1226a07c263450cb6cdc1cb8567d.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from central Texas, where it will be warm today, but with preditions of a big thunderstorm this evening.

An interesting collectionof days.  I prefer to celebrate Indigenous People Day instead of Columbus Day..  Newspaper carriers deserve their own day.

Like Plato's quote that is very true.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.  Not sure what we'll be having today, as it depends on the take-out we order while in Austin visiting our DDs and their guys before heading to Quartzsite.

In 2019, the Veendam took us to Napfilon in the Peloponnese.  When we couldn''t rent a car, we walked around town and then took the Ho-Ho which took us up to the fort overlooking the town.

From our walk around town

DSC06383.thumb.JPG.3c7a1c04746625340992c28b1030f63c.JPG

DSC06384.thumb.JPG.692f4f29f9a2325fb52171f460e2ba14.JPG

DSC06385.thumb.JPG.b97327256173b8d71293d74a27bbe26c.JPG

DSC06389.thumb.JPG.5504d1729a7e5a5746bd6d3153ee395e.JPG

The fort from town and on the hillside.  We opted to skip going into the fort. Plus the view of town from the hilltop.

DSC06381.thumb.JPG.498eb88edd2842341731c3aca855bdd9.JPG

DSC06399.thumb.JPG.8a1211ffd9b7c35b3aa97037b9b3e54e.JPG

DSC06400.thumb.JPG.0bef38b09ee1052e36b3d246acf943af.JPG

Town as seen from the Ho-Ho

DSC06401.thumb.JPG.9f26aaa7c0cbb461ba4f5e61f6931428.JPG

DSC06404.thumb.JPG.33dd2a382710bc21a6f9743020aafea2.JPG

DSC06405.thumb.JPG.ae43f77381887618a12a609fdc716810.JPG

A smaller fort on the harbor

DSC06406.thumb.JPG.fa416b8072bded32d821c31bc1446f05.JPG

Napfilon is an interesting town.  There are also several places to visit outside of town including Corinth.

Lenda

DSC06386.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all.Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian friends.I will salute Indigenous peoples day.Our newspapers  went online a while ago but I will celebrate  carrier's  day.  The quote is a good one as well.

@dfish,Debbie,thanks for the interesting recipe and all of the variations. I think I will try the last one later today.I made the smothered pork chops last night to rave reviews  from DH.

Roy  @rafinmd,thank you so much for having my family on the care list.Everyone is now negative for Covid  and DGD is  doing well .She has many weeks to heal yet but no longer needs to be on the  Daily list.Once again ,we are very grateful to all  for so  very much during  a trying time.

@mamaofami,I was thinking of you all day and hope that you and Sam were managing well.

And Bon Voyage  to all the San Diego departure  folks .Exciting!

Terry

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, and International Newspaper Carrier Day

The beginning is the most important part of the work. -- Plato

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Bacon Ranch Bubble-Up Bake

Drink of the Day - Verde Shots

Wine of the day - Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay California Vintner's Reserve 2015

Destination of the Day - Nafplion Greece

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Puerto Vallarta MX

Rhodes Island, Greece
Eurodam 00:00 - 18:00

San Diego
Koningsdam

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

1010Europe2.thumb.png.c7cc29e1e3e87cd5db7db2334d778575.png

1010Europe.thumb.png.de11e5dc7b1862ef45a50a465d527517.png

Rich:  Rhank you for the DAILY 

Rich

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report.  I have been on a Pilgrimage to Medjugorje and have been away from the computer. Medjugorje was wonderful. 

• Like 12

Good Sunday morning, friends!  Our day off from exercise.  Thanks @richwmnfor your Daily report and the especially happy news about our third BHB sailing with passengers today.  And thanks to @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Nice to hear @smitty34877's family are improving.  Great to hear they're now negative and DGD is on her way to a full recovery.  

I don't remember Nafplion as one of our Greek stops.  Thanks Lenda for your photos!  It doesn't look familiar to me.

The recipes today look interesting.  I'm pretty sure the first one would not be on my radar but the second and third look very good.  Thanks Debbie!

I recalled Columbus Day was originally Oct. 12, then switched to the second Monday of October.  Thanks for the extra information Rich.  

Cheers to the newspaper carriers of the world!  Both my kids had that job as one of their first work experiences and were much appreciated by their customers.  I guess you can count me as a newspaper carrier too.  The Sunday newspapers were so large and heavy in the 1980's that we placed stacks of them in the trunk of the car, then DH drove and I would assist my daughter or son with delivering them to the front door of each house.  Good memories except for the Sunday the wind chill was at least 50 below zero Fahrenheit!  

Have a good day!

• Like 21

Blessed Sunday. Thank you Rich for your loyalty to our Daily family. 

Sending prayers out during my quiet time this morning. Thankful for our family and friends. Healing prayers for those in need.

Enjoying the voyage postings. Raising a glass tonight for all passengers on our BHB!

@Heartgrove, where did you grow up in the Chicago area? I grew up in Algonquin. 

Goodness @kazu it seems like you were just putting all those bulbs out. Hard to believe they are already being put into hibernation. 

image.png.9910876d9cc9c8e1e6dc8e8a1052c3c7.png

Have an awesome day! Blessings,  prayers and cheers.

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

I remember growing up in Chicago and Columbus Day was a day off from school.

I grew up in NE New Jersey. We also had a day off from school plus there was a big parade on Columbus Day.

• Like 11

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to our group of days. Plato's quote is so true. I will definitely try out the meal in the coming weeks.

More of the same here today with football added in this afternoon/evening. Yesterday was a great football day for us.

@mamaofamithinking of you and hoping you and Sam are managing well.

@rafinmdI hope enjoyed the symphony.

🥂 to all our friends who are sailing.

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃.

Wishing everyone a super Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 17