New to MSC

BobW1701

I cruised, what seems like, eons ago on Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas. It was a four day Bahamas cruise. I had so much fun that I've been wanting to cruise again. So, I booked the seven day MSC Divina cruise leaving from Miami on Feb 6 and returning on the 13th. Stops in Cozumel, Ocho Rios, George Town, and MSC's private island. There are also two days at sea. I am leaving for Miami on Feb 5 staying near the airport so I don't have to worry about travel delays.

Questions:

How will I know what terminal this leaves out of? 

I paid for an outside view bella experience (stateroom 8208), but now MSC has me as guaranteed cabin and I can't get an answer on a cost refund. Anyone else have this type of experience?

I've read tons of information on this board and others about the Divina and MSC. I'm not a 'foodie,' but I do like my food hot. Should I stick with the buffet?

Any idea of when I can expect MSC to release shore excursions?

Thanks everyone,

BobW

You will not get any kind of a refund for your cabin which is now G0000.  You will probably be upgraded to a Bella balcony—no additional charge.  Bella is the most basic fare with no frills.  Bella is followed by fantastic@ followed by aurea—additional benefits with each level change.  Your experience, Bella, will follow you to whatever cabin you are finally assigned (unless it is YC).  Unfortunately this is MSC of late.  They seem to be closing off the Oceanview cabins.  They then choose where you end up.

Our cruise is in 26 days and we were made G0000 despite choosing our fantastica Oceanview cabin location specifically.  We were assigned a fantastica balcony cabin for 48 hours but are once again G0000.  Our TA says we will probably get our cabin assignment no later than a week before sailing!  It’s only 4 night followed by 18 in YC so not too worried.  Now, if it was any longer I would be bitting fingernails while beginning to eye toenails.

Good luck to you!  This pre-cruise nightmare is horrendous but we have thoroughly enjoyed every MSC cruise we’ve taken.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Is there some reason you think the MDR food won't be hot if it's supposed to be?

We had breakfast and lunch in the buffet (that's just what we do), but always had dinner in the MDR.  Both were just fine.

Just what I've read on the interweb. Some people have complained saying food wasn't hot when it was supposed to be. I have zero complaints (except they moved me to guaranteed cabin) so far. 

2 hours ago, BobW1701 said:

I cruised, what seems like, eons ago on Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas. It was a four day Bahamas cruise. I had so much fun that I've been wanting to cruise again. So, I booked the seven day MSC Divina cruise leaving from Miami on Feb 6 and returning on the 13th. Stops in Cozumel, Ocho Rios, George Town, and MSC's private island. There are also two days at sea. I am leaving for Miami on Feb 5 staying near the airport so I don't have to worry about travel delays.

Questions:

How will I know what terminal this leaves out of? 

I paid for an outside view bella experience (stateroom 8208), but now MSC has me as guaranteed cabin and I can't get an answer on a cost refund. Anyone else have this type of experience?

I've read tons of information on this board and others about the Divina and MSC. I'm not a 'foodie,' but I do like my food hot. Should I stick with the buffet?

Any idea of when I can expect MSC to release shore excursions?

Thanks everyone,

BobW

Sailed on the Divina for 31 days and never had a cold meal in the MDR, ate most meals there. I would not suggest eating in the buffet for every meal. The MDR food is great.  

If your driver, Uber or cab, doesn't know which pier to go to it will be marked at the signs entering the pier.

Love the Divina did the same cruise you are on a couple of years ago and it convinced us that MSC was our new cruise line of preference.

Good luck with MSC. It is what it is. You will get no answers and the one you get may not be correct. Go and enjoy what you have. As far as the food it is not close to other lines. Bland and full of fillers. Lots of chicken. It is all about the ship and their private island. The ship staff are working hard.

Relax and enjoy.

Know this from cruises this year. 

1 hour ago, colorado14 said:

Good luck with MSC. It is what it is. You will get no answers and the one you get may not be correct. Go and enjoy what you have. As far as the food it is not close to other lines. Bland and full of fillers. Lots of chicken. It is all about the ship and their private island. The ship staff are working hard.

Relax and enjoy.

LOL, what ship did you sail?

I just got off a week on the Meraviglia and did a 3 day a few weeks before that. I had lots of food but only one dish was chicken (and I eat chicken 3-4 times per week at home...I love it). I filled up on pastas, beef, and pork. Some veal too (but I know that is beef). Also lots of seafood.

The food was amazing - especially the pizza.

And "all about...their private island"? Really not sure where that came from. They have amazing itineraries around the world. But even just in the Caribbean they have deep southern routes that are great. They go to lots of places besides their island...which is *amazing* btw.

You really seem to have the wrong attitude about sailing MSC. Why not post *helpful* answers somewhere else?

• Like 2

Hi BobW-

MSC adheres to EU standards and the food standards are much stricter in every category than USA! Cooking temps, holding temps, and serving temps...as an example...

Many on this forum refer to 'bland', what they mean is it is not salty or full of MSG.

If you like Chilis, Buffalo Wild Wings, TGI Fridays, Senior Frogs, Dominos, Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, Red Robin, Shake Shack, etc...you will probably not be a fan of MSC food unless you want to try something different.

Food is subjective, many USA folks love typical chain and fast food...this is not the taste of MSC.

If you have traveled to Europe and were happy eating 'local', non-USA dishes or chains...then you know exactly what to expect.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, colorado14 said:

Relax and enjoy.

Wow, glad I didn't read your opinion and decided it to be true before I sailed on MSC.  We have sailed over 40 cruises on NCL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and MSC. MSC we just started sailing in 2017 and they quickly became our favorite cruise line! I think their food is better than most other cruiselines, especially Carnivals where they serve you fried chicken and meatloaf in the MDR. You definitely won't see that on MSC.

As far as their private island, it is the best I have ever been to but they go to a lot more places than their own island.  

OP, I say go with an open mind and you will have fun.

• Like 2

Good luck.  I booked originally back in Nov, 2019 for a Feb 2020 cruise.  After 2 reschedules and cancellations, we were booked on a 10/24 departure.  This cruise was rolled into a Salsa cruise for 7 days.  Room was changed after we accepted this change in itinerary, except we were not told.  

At every step of the way you receive an email with a PDF of your booking.  When I called to accept the 7 day, i did not get an email.  Waited a couple day to see if it showed and the window closed for refund FCC.  Checked website and room was changed. 

Now they tell me changing rooms will incur a fee, when on their website they advertise cruises booked thru September, allow you to change booking details up to 48 hours from departure.  

Never again and we have not even left port yet.  No matter how good the food and service is, if you cut my balcony in half, I'm done. In our Roll Call, there have been people booted out of YC to a balcony with no satisfaction so far.

1 hour ago, NorthFLCruiser said:

Good luck.  I booked originally back in Nov, 2019 for a Feb 2020 cruise.  After 2 reschedules and cancellations, we were booked on a 10/24 departure.  This cruise was rolled into a Salsa cruise for 7 days.  Room was changed after we accepted this change in itinerary, except we were not told.  

At every step of the way you receive an email with a PDF of your booking.  When I called to accept the 7 day, i did not get an email.  Waited a couple day to see if it showed and the window closed for refund FCC.  Checked website and room was changed. 

Now they tell me changing rooms will incur a fee, when on their website they advertise cruises booked thru September, allow you to change booking details up to 48 hours from departure.  

Never again and we have not even left port yet.  No matter how good the food and service is, if you cut my balcony in half, I'm done. In our Roll Call, there have been people booted out of YC to a balcony with no satisfaction so far.

So you’re going on the infamous Salsa cruise we’ve all been hearing about? 
I hope it goes well for you guys 

Oh, I'm definitely going with an open mind. I traveled to France and didn't eat at any "fast food" places. While I do enjoy some of the food you mentioned (except Senior Frogs which I've never tried) I can eat most food as long as it's not too spicy hot. Yes, I'm a spice wimp (read hot wings).  Pizza, however, I'm a fan. I'd love to try their specialty steak house so, I'm probably going to book that one night (maybe for sail away?)

I can say, I've never been to any of the places we're going so I'm really looking forward to it. Especially since visiting Hell is in my future.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

So you’re going on the infamous Salsa cruise we’ve all been hearing about? 
I hope it goes well for you guys 

After waiting 18 months to go, I can't change my plans 2 weeks out.  I'm going, but I can almost guarantee I won't be trying it again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobW1701 said:

While I do enjoy some of the food you mentioned (except Senior Frogs which I've never tried) I can eat most food as long as it's not too spicy hot.

Consider yourself blessed for not having the experience, unless you are partial to high priced weak drinks, noise, and wearing balloon hats!  Have a great cruise.  With your upbeat attitude, you will be fine on MSC!

Edited by JAGR