Will Covid Vaccination Requirement be extended beyond Dec 31?

Cabernetlover

Just now, fluffybunny22 said:

I clicked the link that Princess provides for the supervised home tests and it says the FDA allowed a 3 month extension on the expiration date.

That's correct, but even with that three month extension, many of the Binax tests expire at the end of December. It's a crap shoot at this point in time. Maybe I would get a batch with an expiration date after January 2nd...but maybe I wouldn't. I even called Binax, and they couldn't guarantee that test I order for January 2nd would be valid. 

13 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

That's correct, but even with that three month extension, many of the Binax tests expire at the end of December. It's a crap shoot at this point in time. Maybe I would get a batch with an expiration date after January 2nd...but maybe I wouldn't. I even called Binax, and they couldn't guarantee that test I order for January 2nd would be valid. 

I used 1 of the 3 tests I have yesterday and there was no mention of an expiration date.   Looking at one of the remaining packs I see 2 dates but neither are clearly labeled.  Any idea how to verify the expiration date?

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I used 1 of the 3 tests I have yesterday and there was no mention of an expiration date.   Looking at one of the remaining packs I see 2 dates but neither are clearly labeled.  Any idea how to verify the expiration date?

Look up your lot number on the attached PDF from Abbott. Shows both the original and extended expiration dates.

Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dv70 said:

Look up your lot number on the attached PDF from Abbott. Shows both the original and extended expiration dates.

Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf 318.06 kB · 2 downloads

Very useful.  So the first date on the sticker, above the lot number, is the original exp date.  In our case 9/29/2021.  I used it yesterday and had no expiration problem so if they checked anything it was against the new date of 12/29/2021.  So all is good with our tests.

But it makes me wonder, what is the rationale in determining the exp date?  

19 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Which is why I already have ours for our 11/27 cruise.  But I'll still try to schedule a test at a CVS near Ft Lauderdale for 11/26.  

For those of us who have 2022 cruises it is an issue - I may wait until late December and see what expiration dates they have

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

For those of us who have 2022 cruises it is an issue - I may wait until late December and see what expiration dates they have

For 2022 have a March family cruise then just us in late October.  Who knows what's to come.  I ordered our BimaxNOW test on 9/23/2021.  I learned today that the original exp date on what I received was 9/29/2021.  In spite of the exp extension to 12/29/2021 I'm a bit ticked off that they would ship that late in the lot life cycle.  Optum probably knew about the extension but I sure didn't.  And suppose the test proctor didn't know and invalidated the test?

1 hour ago, CruisinChandler said:

The Princess CruiseHealth Protocols were updated today and everything’s been extended through Feb 28, 2022.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Thanks for sharing.  Most of this is old hat by now, but I was hoping they would cut us some slack with the mask thing.  Celebrity doesn't require them and they seem to be doing all right.  Then again, their passenger loads are generally lower...

I think they will maintain the vaccination requirement, but not sure the testing will be a requirement once the virus is under control...which seems to be heading that way.  I also think that the mask requirement will not last more than a few months into 2022 if I had to guess.  We already have 2 million people on every Saturday gathering in football stadiums and the numbers the last 4 weeks have steadily fallen.  Like most places, I think they will be encouraged if in a crowd but not required. 

On 10/12/2021 at 8:16 AM, Stevie17 said:

I ordered them for my cruise next week.  I got them yesterday.  The expiration date on the box is September 19, 2021.  The 3 month extension makes the expiration date December 19, 2021.  

I want to order them for my December cruise, but it doesn’t go until December 27th so I have to wait and see if they get a new shipment of tests.

• Like 1

Who knows, but I can tell you that my cabin was just moved for a cruise in April 2022 so that Princess could comply with CDC guidelines to quarantine passengers.

(They must be using part of the deck I was on for guest quarantine)  

I think they will be following CDC guidelines for awhile 

2 hours ago, Grover_ said:

I ordered them for my cruise next week.  I got them yesterday.  The expiration date on the box is September 19, 2021.  The 3 month extension makes the expiration date December 19, 2021.  

I want to order them for my December cruise, but it doesn’t go until December 27th so I have to wait and see if they get a new shipment of tests.

Ours shipped on 9/23 with an exp date of 9/29.  That's a little nuts if you don't know about the extension.  We didn't and no one mentioned it.  I used one of our kits as a test and it went fairly well.  But I have to use the others for the real thing in the wee hours of Thanksgiving Day.  If they are ruled invalid because of the date we are screwed.

Health Protocols for Cruises through February 28, 2022

/images/global/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/snippet-content/intro-vaccination-negative-test-tall-640.jpg

Health Protocols for Cruises through February 28, 2022

Guests must have the following:

• Received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination
  • Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Be required to wear a face mask in certain areas

My TA just sent me this link from Princess.   The requirements for vaccination and testing 2 days prior to departure are extended until February 28, 2022.    So it looks like I'm okay with a Jan. 6 departure.  Now I can start getting anxious about the testing requirement...always something, but one at a time please!

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/