Need advice - footwear for Norway & Iceland

Fergus

Hello!  We're doing a Norway cruise in mid-June, followed by a 4 day/3 night stop in Iceland.  Would you all be so kind as to give me some input on what types of footwear to pack?  We won't be doing any real hardcore hiking (husband will, my daughter and I prefer moderate activity) and he's on his own with planning his gear!  Having been to Alaska, I know we will need waterproof, but I would love some additional advice.

Thanks! 

Hi Fergus!

I'd look into waterproof hiking or trail running shoes, not boots.   Here at home, I have a combination of both.  When I travel, I usually take my trail runners as they work for regular walking around town to hopping on a trail if I want to.  Look at the website for REI (add the .com) for examples.  I don't know where you are in North Carolina, but I'm sure with the wonderful mountains and trails you have in the state you can find a store that offers them.  

• Like 1

We were in Iceland in December a few years ago and it was warmer and drier there than at home in Seattle. We were in Norway in March and I can't remember any rain and didn't take any particular shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we were in Iceland in late May a couple of years ago...  whether or not yo plan to hike, you will be walking on unpaved, dirt & rock pathways if you plan on doing any sightseeing at all...  to miss out on the waterfalls, geysers, rock formations, & fabulous beaches & cliffs would be a huge mistake in my opinion... I personally brought two pair of more rugged style boots to wear...  we did have snow in May 😉  when I came home I immediately bought a barefoot hiking boot with a vibram sole....that or trail runners with a vibrum as mentioned by slidergirl would be your best bet.   Bring a packable waterproof rain jacket for the waterfalls, you're gong to want to get up as close as possible, & if you're not waterproofed, you will get soaked, & I mean truly, completely soaked.   we both had broad brimmed hats & wore our rain hoods over them, it allowed us to see, because otherwise the force of the water will blur your vision 🙂

Enjoy, it's one of my favorite places in the world!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...