How does the muster thing go now?

For those of us that have cruised a lot (28 times) I think it's imprinted in our brains as to how it's supposed to work. Of course in my situation, my DH is a retired US Navy Captain and he pays attention to all the safety things onboard.  New cruisers, not so much.

Edited by BND

I think more people would care and pay more attention to the muster drill if shipwrecks were more prevalent.  I can think of only one incident in fairly recent times that passengers have had to use life jackets (Costa Concordia, 2012) and most people have forgotten. Since the incident was attributed to an incompetent and derelict captain, most have treated it as an isolated case not likely to ever reoccur. 

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I think more people would care and pay more attention to the muster drill if shipwrecks were more prevalent.  I can think of only one incident in fairly recent times that passengers have had to use life jackets (Costa Concordia, 2012) and most people have forgotten. Since the incident was attributed to an incompetent and derelict captain, most have treated it as an isolated case not likely to ever reoccur. 

Viking Ocean.

30 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Viking Ocean.

23 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

You mean Viking Sky 2019?  That makes two, out of how many cruise ships sailing since 2012? 

Viking Sky didn't wreck.  She was adrift, but she didn't wreck.

35 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

The ship was near shore and could have stranded. People were already being evacuated by helicopter and they were really close to having to evacuate using life boats. 

Every ship *could* need to use the lifeboats. But almost none - including the Viking Sky - do. This was not a case where the muster drill was needed, even though it’s a good idea. 

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Every ship *could* need to use the lifeboats. But almost none - including the Viking Sky - do. This was not a case where the muster drill was needed, even though it’s a good idea. 

Actually, it was a case where the muster was needed.  Remember, the muster is not about getting into the boats, it is about accountability.  In this case, as with most cases where passengers are sent to muster, this got the passengers into known locations, and counted to ensure everyone is found.  For every time that passengers need to be evacuated from their muster stations, there are 60 or more instances where they went to muster, and then were sent back to normal activities, even a case like the Star Princess.  Just because the passengers did not go into the boats, does not mean the muster is "not needed".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Make SURE they scan your SeaPass when you visit the Muster Station. Ship can't leave until EVERYONE's card has been scanned. 

We went straight there when we boarded (before we went to the room) and they checked us off the paper list, but still needed to go back later to get cards scanned.

If using the app to watch the safety information,  does each person in a stateroom need to do so on their own device (or their own account) or can all the occupants watch on one device/account at the same time? I think that this would work if your party watched it together on the stateroom TV, but I'm less sure about the app.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated. 

Thanks.

11 hours ago, mirgloin said:

If using the app to watch the safety information,  does each person in a stateroom need to do so on their own device (or their own account) or can all the occupants watch on one device/account at the same time?

When using the app, each person had to watch under their account for the system to acknowledge passing that part of the process.

• Thanks 1