Questions from a tentative first time cruiser on Viking

Astromaid

I have cruised several lines, Carnival, Royal, Norwegian, Uncruise, and I am interested in trying Viking. I just saw the Cruise on Saturn, leaving from New York City and going to Iceland in 2023. I am asking for suggestions on what I need to be aware of with Viking. I understand that they require full payment a year out, which is a big pill to swallow. I am not sure I am interested in their air add on. What I have read is that you lose a lot of control on your flight selection and have fewer options. Especially flying into New York City, I always choose to fly in early and with so many flights I do not see a problem with a delayed flight. Flying back I am not as concerned with delays. So I feel my better choice is to book my own flights. If I am missing a consideration about this, please let me know. We are thinking of booking a deluxe veranda, I like the soft drinks renewed every day in the refrigerator, the coffee maker and the binoculars. Is there anything I should be aware of before booking? I normally book direct with the cruise line, I have never used a TA. Any advantages/disadvantages? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

40 minutes ago, Astromaid said:

I have cruised several lines, Carnival, Royal, Norwegian, Uncruise, and I am interested in trying Viking. I just saw the Cruise on Saturn, leaving from New York City and going to Iceland in 2023. I am asking for suggestions on what I need to be aware of with Viking. I understand that they require full payment a year out, which is a big pill to swallow. I am not sure I am interested in their air add on. What I have read is that you lose a lot of control on your flight selection and have fewer options. Especially flying into New York City, I always choose to fly in early and with so many flights I do not see a problem with a delayed flight. Flying back I am not as concerned with delays. So I feel my better choice is to book my own flights. If I am missing a consideration about this, please let me know. We are thinking of booking a deluxe veranda, I like the soft drinks renewed every day in the refrigerator, the coffee maker and the binoculars. Is there anything I should be aware of before booking? I normally book direct with the cruise line, I have never used a TA. Any advantages/disadvantages? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

I generally agree with you about Viking Air. The only times we have used their Air when it is included or is a deal. When we have done it we have paid for the Plus service so we have some input into the flights. This allowed us to use our preferred airline and therefore we were able to upgrade ourselves. This isn’t always possible as it depends on what fare class Viking purchased. Also be aware if you want to fly in early or stay longer (which I would consider doing if going back to Iceland) you will have to pay a deviation fee.  We have also done this as we were unwilling to risk missing the embarkation. Bear in mind that if you don’t book air through Viking and want their transfers to/from ship it will cost $49 pp each way. 

We usually book Vs as we have a pair of binoculars, room service coffee is just fine with us, and we have no trouble getting unopened cans of soda or mixers during lunch from the waiter or a bar to refill our refrigerator. For the cost savings, I don’t mind toting them myself!

The advantage IMHO of using a travel agent is that if you find one (like we have) who provides the maximum shipboard credit that Viking allows it will cover your daily service charge and leave some money for drinks or other expenses. FYI- Viking allows $150 per person for cruises of 7 nights or less, $300pp for 8-14 nights and $500pp for cruises 15 nights or longer.  So if your TA isn’t offering this, I would keep looking. 

Be sure and read the thread titled, Tips for New Viking Cruisers.  It has lots of good info. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astromaid said:

I am not sure I am interested in their air add on. What I have read is that you lose a lot of control on your flight selection and have fewer options. Especially flying into New York City, I always choose to fly in early and with so many flights I do not see a problem with a delayed flight. Flying back I am not as concerned with delays. So I feel my better choice is to book my own flights. If I am missing a consideration about this, please let me know. 

Flying into KEF from JFK should be an easy hop.  Several airlines to choose from.  The "transfers" issue is a non-starter, IMO.  If coming in a day or two early (and I would spend several days extra on either end), you merely take the FlyBus from KEF into town.  It's what 90+% of folks do.  Easy transfer, and you can get transport from the airport to most hotels, usually with a quick transfer at the Reykjavik bus terminal.  And then a taxi to the port, which is very close to downtown.

We are thinking of booking a deluxe veranda, I like the soft drinks renewed every day in the refrigerator, the coffee maker and the binoculars. 

Just two FYIs:  The coffee maker is a Krups Nespresso machine, so don't expect anything like the drip machine you may have at home.  You'll get a small concentrated espresso-like coffee dose - which you may or may not like.  Also, the binoculars are of a compact design and are relatively cheap in quality, IMO.  Better to buy and bring your own - I never used them.  (And of note - the binocs are hidden away in the flip-top container of the desk.)

I normally book direct with the cruise line, I have never used a TA. Any advantages/disadvantages? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

I have yet to cruise on a luxury or premium line where it was more advantageous to book directly with the cruiseline than with a quality agent.  The cruiselines WANT you to book direct to cut out the agencies and agency commissions.  Find a good agent (NOT just an order taker) and you will neve look back.

• Like 1

Another useful info tool is the search bar at the top of the page.  Use it like Google for Cruise Critic and you will be amazed at the tonnage of info you can find.  Most of your questions are the same as we all had and discussed so click away.  You will be amazed at how much better Viking does it than your previous cruises.🍸

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Another useful info tool is the search bar at the top of the page.  Use it like Google for Cruise Critic and you will be amazed at the tonnage of info you can find.  Most of your questions are the same as we all had and discussed so click away.  You will be amazed at how much better Viking does it than your previous cruises.🍸

Some tips for using the CC search - 

Go to the Tips for New Viking Cruisers thread - 

Click in the search area in the blue bar, select "This forum" and click on "all of my search words."

The cabin category also influences when you can book excursions and alternative restaurants - suites first, then PV, then DV, and then V.  However, the V category can not book alternative restaurants before boarding.

Check out Viking's page on what they are and what they are not to make sure the Viking style of cruising is for you.

The Viking Difference (vikingcruises.com)

Also check out YouTube for video tours of the ships.

2 hours ago, Astromaid said:

Viking has a good product and during a very difficult time have had an excellent experience with Viking Customer Relations.  We don't sail with Carnival, Royal, Norwegian or Uncruise, but do sail with Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and Viking.  

Yes, full payment a year out is a big pill to swallow, but that's just the way it goes with Viking.  If you book another cruise on board, you will get better terms.

Book your own air so that you have control of you flights.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, Clay Clayton said:

The advantage IMHO of using a travel agent is that if you find one (like we have) who provides the maximum shipboard credit that Viking allows it will cover your daily service charge and leave some money for drinks or other expenses. FYI- Viking allows $150 per person for cruises of 7 nights or less, $300pp for 8-14 nights and $500pp for cruises 15 nights or longer.  So if your TA isn’t offering this, I would keep looking. 

Hi Clay,

It is my understanding we are not allowed to share TA info on this site.  I tried to message you regarding your TA, though that feature is disabled. If you would be so kind as to message me your TA's info I would be grateful. My DH and I are going on a 15 day cruise with Viking and have zero credit. 🤔 We may need to check our options. 

Thanks much, 

Julie

1 hour ago, Buckwheel said:

Hi Clay,

It is my understanding we are not allowed to share TA info on this site.  I tried to message you regarding your TA, though that feature is disabled. If you would be so kind as to message me your TA's info I would be grateful. My DH and I are going on a 15 day cruise with Viking and have zero credit. 🤔 We may need to check our options. 

Thanks much, 

Julie

No one can message on CC-they have that feature turned off 😢

Feel free to email if you like:

BigNCBear at aol dot com

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

No one can message on CC-they have that feature turned off 😢

Feel free to email if you like:

BigNCBear at aol dot com

Aha! And I thought I was being singled out. 🧐 I sent you an email. 

Thanks much, 

Julie

@Astromaid, once you have booked your cruise, check out this tread for information about tours in Iceland:  Excursions and how you liked or disliked them.  It all about the shorex in Iceland even though it does not say so in the title.

As for thoughts on booking, most of the people here aren't as happy with AIrPlus as I am; working with them is not for everyone. When I book, I always take the Viking Air offer because I know that I can drop it later if I find a better deal on my own. For those who are not familiar with flying, for those who don't want to want to upgrade with points, for those who feel more comfortable letting Viking arrange their flights, AirPlus is a viable alternative, even if things are rough right now because of Covid. I have happily used them multiple times over the past 10 years -- and I was really happy to have used them for flights to Japan for our April, 2021 cruise, because when Viking cancelled the cruise 5 months prior to sailing I wasn't left to deal with getting refunds for flights to Japan or even worse, being stuck with thousands of dollars of vouchers for an airline that I might never be able to use.

• Like 4

Like Peregrina, when we book, I have always taken the air offered knowing that I can always drop it, and always do - but it gives me a chance to see if I can do better price wise and schedule wise. 

I think Viking Air is great opportuniy  if you are flying  from a major hub city , or have a variety of carrier options from your home airport , but if you are flying from a smaller regional airport, especially in the midwest, many of the preferred flights are not available in their "contracts".  

I do agree that the "peace of mind" is worth a lot, especially in these covid times, or for those who prefer  to simply let some one else do the planning.   

• Like 2

Astromaid, are you looking at the June or August?  We’re planning on doing Aug 30. We are not using Viking Air on that one but are using it on our December Hawaii trip. Paid 100 pp to arrive one day early and 50 pp to choose my airline. 

Since we had the December booked, we were given final payment date in 6 months for our October one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astromaid said:

lovemycruisetoo, I am looking at the June cruise.  It hits two mile markers for us, my 70th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. How can I pass on that!

You have chosen wisely. (It was my 70th birthday present as well--and make up cruise for a missed 2020 anniversary cruise. 😉)

Check out Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022.

It really should be dated 2021 but typos happen. It is a long thread, much of which is irrelevant at this point, but it does cover some essential such as weather (cold and wet) and what to pack. Just do a lot of skimming.