Carnival embarkation port arrival time - how strict?

Zhaan

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There is NO enforcement of arrival time in Port Canaveral. People with the earliest arrival time and boarding number have said they are behind 1000 people to get in and many have missed their boarding number. This is a failure on Carnival's side. They need to turn people away before they can even get in line to enter the terminal. Corral them back to the parking lot or away from the terminal entrance. 

Right now and there has been no change, it is the Wild West. Get there when you want, clog the lines, clog the terminal, and laugh at the people behind you.

This is not true. August 30 cruise on Magic we had 12-12:30 time. Arrived right before 12, there was no line and they let us on in. October 7 on Magic, arrived 11:50. Was a long line outside to go in, they were going to send us to the back of the line, then because it was just at noon, told us to go on in the terminal. I’m not sure what times the long line people had, but we went in at our arrival time.  Going again October 31 with the same time slot, so we shall see how that goes.

18 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

I know that as my vaccine attestation just showed up this past week for my cruise 1/8/2022.  But the part I highlighted in BOLD, was the poster I quoted stating health questionnaire.  I want that poster to respond that either things changed or that they meant vaccine and said health.

You are correct, it was the Vaccine not the health.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, Zhaan said:

We'll be driving to a Carnival cruise in January. It's going to be hard to get to the port at an exact time due to driving. We don't know our check-in time yet, but if we get there early or late (but before the final boarding), how strict are they in this COVID era about your arrival time? Can you still arrive earlier than your time or if we get there early will we have to kill time before going to the port?  Thanks!

Hi we sailed from Port Canaveral last month.  I was 15 minutes early and they didn't blink but there was some staff checking the paper that has your time on it.  If driving in give your self time to drop off bags and then get over to park and walk back across the street.  There was a roped snake line and I would guess maybe 200 or so people in it.  At the end of that line they did the covid check-in and really looked over the paper work and matched it all to a photo Id.   That was before security and they did turn people around.  Then after security we had to go to the old fashion desk check-in like it was a few years ago.  The terminal was pretty tight over all with people bunched up.  

3 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

This is not true. August 30 cruise on Magic we had 12-12:30 time. Arrived right before 12, there was no line and they let us on in. October 7 on Magic, arrived 11:50. Was a long line outside to go in, they were going to send us to the back of the line, then because it was just at noon, told us to go on in the terminal. I’m not sure what times the long line people had, but we went in at our arrival time.  Going again October 31 with the same time slot, so we shall see how that goes.

Sep 18 on Magic also, I arrived 15 mins early and was still not thru security when my group was called.  

Edited by mredandchis
date correction

You are falling to understand. Get there before the terminal doors open at day 10AM. There will be a ton of people there. Many of those people will have 1PM boarding times, but they let them in before people with 10:30AM boarding times. Because of the congestion, the boarding groups are being called, people in those groups are still stuck outside and not through security so the ones with 1PM arrival times are boarding because the terminal is vacant. If you don't think so, go read about it on other threads. The Platinum guy said he had 10:30 arrival, A02 boarding, was there at 10AM begging 1000+ people. By the time he got in, they were on boarding group A06 or something like that. Everyone in front of him had later arrival times. 

• Like 1

Sailing out of Galveston in November.   What are the boarding time options?  Will need to coordinate with several families.  I’m also a nervous Nelli  and tend to over think.  I’m driving from an hour North of Houston. 

12 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There is NO enforcement of arrival time in Port Canaveral. People with the earliest arrival time and boarding number have said they are behind 1000 people to get in and many have missed their boarding number. This is a failure on Carnival's side. They need to turn people away before they can even get in line to enter the terminal. Corral them back to the parking lot or away from the terminal entrance. 

Right now and there has been no change, it is the Wild West. Get there when you want, clog the lines, clog the terminal, and laugh at the people behind you.

Our experience on 10/09 was remarkably different -- we were required to wait outside before entering the building -- but to each his own.  

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Our experience on 10/09 was remarkably different -- we were required to wait outside before entering the building -- but to each his own.  

Then it has changed finally!!! July - September it was first in line first in the terminal. And when boarding groups were so light they just let everyone on.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Then it has changed finally!!! July - September it was first in line first in the terminal. And when boarding groups were so light they just let everyone on.

I have NO problem with the latter.  If traffic is light and lines are short inside the terminal, then I see no reason why they should hold people outside.  Let anyone in the next arrival group inside at that point; it's good customer service, and a nice break from the usual bureaucratic nightmare.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You are falling to understand. Get there before the terminal doors open at day 10AM. There will be a ton of people there. Many of those people will have 1PM boarding times, but they let them in before people with 10:30AM boarding times. Because of the congestion, the boarding groups are being called, people in those groups are still stuck outside and not through security so the ones with 1PM arrival times are boarding because the terminal is vacant. If you don't think so, go read about it on other threads. The Platinum guy said he had 10:30 arrival, A02 boarding, was there at 10AM begging 1000+ people. By the time he got in, they were on boarding group A06 or something like that. Everyone in front of him had later arrival times. 

Definitely NOT our experience on the 8/26 Magic cruise. We arrived at 10:00 (for 10:30 check-in time) and walked right in and started the check in process.  There was no congestion, no long lines.  Super easy.  And how in the heck is someone going to know 1000+ people in front of them all have a later check-in time??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I have NO problem with the latter.  If traffic is light and lines are short inside the terminal, then I see no reason why they should hold people outside.  Let anyone in the next arrival group inside at that point; it's good customer service, and a nice break from the usual bureaucratic nightmare.

Yes, but not when there are 200 people with current arrival times behind 800 people whose arrival time hasn't come up yet. So, when the later arrival times cram the entrance by not allowing people with the boarding groups to get in, there is no one to board so they let everyone on. They should have separate locations that people are herded to outside the terminal based on arrival times. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yes, but not when there are 200 people with current arrival times behind 800 people whose arrival time hasn't come up yet. So, when the later arrival times cram the entrance by not allowing people with the boarding groups to get in, there is no one to board so they let everyone on. They should have separate locations that people are herded to outside the terminal based on arrival times. 

Hmm, let me explain what we encountered after exiting the Lyft we took from our hotel.  This would have been at the drop-off area, bottom level of the Terminal 3 parking garage.    

First, we dropped our bags with the waiting ILA porters.  That part was routine.  

Then, at the bottom of the stairway leading up to the waiting area, there were separate lines with stanchions marked with different arrival times ("11:00" "11:30" "12:00" "12:30" etc.)    There weren't too many passengers there (maybe 10-20) and they allowed us through.

We climbed the stairs up to the terminal entrance proper, which is at Level 3 of the parking garage.  People parking their cars or hauling heavy luggage can take the parking deck elevator to this landing.  

We were stopped here, since we had arrived before our appointed time.  We were fine with that.  There were perhaps 30 people waiting outside with us on the landing.  The time was 11:10 am and we had an 11:30 arrival time.   Anyone who arrived with an "expired" arrival time was allowed inside immediately.  

After about ten minutes an employee asked us what our arrival time was, and then waved us inside, about ten minutes early. 

The reason was apparent once we got inside; the line we were directed to for document check had only 5 people waiting in front of us.  There were two lines -- we were directed to the farther one -- and about 20 "round-table" check stations.  The employees at the check stations raise a sign with the station number when they are ready for new passengers.  Pretty quickly we were at one of the stations, then over to the security scanners, then walking to the gangway. 

Second-fastest embark I've ever had, from terminal entrance to the ship's deck.  

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Izena said:

Sailing out of Galveston in November.   What are the boarding time options?  Will need to coordinate with several families.  I’m also a nervous Nelli  and tend to over think.  I’m driving from an hour North of Houston. 

Sailed Vista on Oct 2.  Don't recall earliest time but not being platinum the earliest we could pick was 11am.  We were let into the building around 10:50 so a little early.  There was a roped off line for 11:30 people so they were held back.  Only 5 minutes or so to the first station which was covid paperwork check. Then thru x-ray then desk check-in.  We sat down in waiting area by 11:15.  There were tons of people in that waiting area already.  I asked some folks in waiting area and they had 10am check-in time so don't know if that earliest or what.

Many years ago, boarding in Galveston is usually 11am and I'd time my arrival to be 10:30 so that I can walk thru check-in and right onto the ship with barely anyone in the waiting area but this new enforced check-in has people arriving really early.

well I just checked in for my Nov. 6 cruise on Mardi Gras. of course they had early check ins but we are staying at a hotel in Orlando and our shuttle isn't getting us till 10:45, so  picked the noon check-in. I was going to pick 11:30 but I wasn't sure if we would be there on time. I am super excited! only 14 days to go!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Izena said:

We were on the Breeze in late September and stayed at a hotel the night before we were driving from north Texas area.  Boarding times were maintained - with "early/late" lines, but it did not take long.  They let everyone into the terminal a bit early.  The check-in process for vaccination cards, etc. was quick - even with training going on.  Then, once inside the main terminal (waiting to board by sections listed on boarding pass) it went fairly quickly.   They boarded by suites, people who needed special services and then by the boarding groups on the boarding pass.   Everyone was so welcoming and happy to see cruisers and I was equally as happy to see staff.   However, I am not sure if the process was this quick b/c it was at a 70-75% capacity (or there about b/c I can't remember the exact percentage we were told).  HTH.   Happy cruising!!

21 hours ago, Wanderer2021 said:

well I just checked in for my Nov. 6 cruise on Mardi Gras. of course they had early check ins but we are staying at a hotel in Orlando and our shuttle isn't getting us till 10:45, so  picked the noon check-in. I was going to pick 11:30 but I wasn't sure if we would be there on time. I am super excited! only 14 days to go!

Can I ask what the latest option is for check in? Yes I'm one of those crazy people that would rather check in later and carry my own luggage to my room and not deal with crowds.

But I also don't want to show up too late.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, K_e_short said:

Can I ask what the latest option is for check in? Yes I'm one of those crazy people that would rather check in later and carry my own luggage to my room and not deal with crowds.

But I also don't want to show up too late.

You'll be given options depending on your particular ship and its departure schedule, but typically arrival times start at around 10:30 with the last option being around 2 pm.  Maybe 2:30.   

You can always show up AFTER your scheduled arrival time, too.  Our ship closed boarding at 3 pm and all passengers had to be onboard by then, and that's a common time for closing boarding...BUT I wouldn't push it too close.  😮  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

You'll be given options depending on your particular ship and its departure schedule, but typically arrival times start at around 10:30 with the last option being around 2 pm.  Maybe 2:30.   

You can always show up AFTER your scheduled arrival time, too.  Our ship closed boarding at 3 pm and all passengers had to be onboard by then, and that's a common time for closing boarding...BUT I wouldn't push it too close.  😮  

You are very helpful to lowering my stress level of my first cruise after Covid and flying in the same day.

2pm would be perfect.