PCR Requirements Slackened?

ALD18

With the opening of the land crossings do you suspect the Federal Government will slacken or eliminate the PCR tests to reenter?  Possibly back to faster/easier/cheaper anitgen or no testing because of double dosed travelers?  Just wondering out loud:)

• Like 1

I read that the Canadian government is not dropping the testing requirement to come into/back into the country.  But it sounds like if you are vaccinated you may not need a test to get into the US.  Until everything is officially announced we won't really know.

That said, I'm HOPING that the testing requirements for Canadians coming home will be dropped.  I understand why they don't want to to drop it just yet for people coming in.  The PCR test to come back is expensive, especially for a family of 4 and in US funds. 

We have a cruise booked on Royal in March.  Currently they pay for the test before you get off the boat but when the CDC Do Not Sail Order expires in November I am sure they ar egoing to pass that cost off to the customer.

We are investigating a cruise in May and at present the return PCR test is included.  Issue though is timing if we wish to stay another day in disembarkment location.  Sounds like final day to get tested on ship is the day before you get off.  Dependent on what time you get it done could affect how long you can stay after the cruise.  Friends have a all inclusive booked in Mexico soon and cost of PCR test is not included.  They have to fork over $180 per person for the test.  Antigen was marginally cheaper, but cheaper none the less.  My concern is if we stay longer in European city after cruise, will exceed the 72 hours interval, how much and where can we get a PCR test in Europe.  Not a major issue, but a concern timing and financially wise none the less.

3 hours ago, ALD18 said:

With the opening of the land crossings do you suspect the Federal Government will slacken or eliminate the PCR tests to reenter?  Possibly back to faster/easier/cheaper anitgen or no testing because of double dosed travelers?  Just wondering out loud:)

It looks like the PCR test requirement will stay in place until the health authorities determine it is not necessary. Sure, it's expensive and inconvenient. I won't be going to Buffalo next month to see my Maple Leafs destroy the Sabres,  😪 because the savings from the cheaper ticket in Buffalo compared to Toronto is offset by the cost of the PCR test (almost). It will also add to the cost of our December AI. Oh well, that's just the cost of pandemic travel right now. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Graycruise said:

There are free PCR testing options if you can make it work with your travel plans.... https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/

I would have a solid backup plan as quite a number of the pharmacy and walk-in clinics in the US are no longer doing travel testing. 

9 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

I read that the Canadian government is not dropping the testing requirement to come into/back into the country.  But it sounds like if you are vaccinated you may not need a test to get into the US.  Until everything is officially announced we won't really know.

That said, I'm HOPING that the testing requirements for Canadians coming home will be dropped.  I understand why they don't want to to drop it just yet for people coming in.  The PCR test to come back is expensive, especially for a family of 4 and in US funds. 

We have a cruise booked on Royal in March.  Currently they pay for the test before you get off the boat but when the CDC Do Not Sail Order expires in November I am sure they ar egoing to pass that cost off to the customer.

The CDC has updated its website to reflect the fact that it now accepts mixed vaccines. However, there has been no similar change made to the testing requirement webpage, for either before or after November 8.

In an article posted today, the US National Law Review stated:

Notwithstanding the vaccination requirement, international travelers into the United States likely will be expected to comply with existing COVID-19 testing requirements before entry into the United States.

Neither the opinion expressed in the Review nor the lack of change to the CDC website are proof positive that change isn't coming. On the other hand, while I've heard some wishful thinking on CC, I've not seen or heard any suggestion from officials on either side of the border that the US is about to abandon this requirement. As the border opening involves far more countries than Canada, I would imagine that the US would take it one step at a time, first allowing tested, fully vaccinated travellers to enter, and if that results in no noticeable increase in cases, dropping the test requirement at a later date.

Now that I've finished reading the tea leaves, I'll pour myself another cuppa!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Graycruise said:

There are free PCR testing options if you can make it work with your travel plans.... https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/

Thank you for posting this.

I was listening to the radio on the way home from work and a travel 'expert' was talking about how there are free PCR options in the U.S.

Of course from what we know from research and our own experience it is difficult and requires you to stay over a few days before getting the test, etc.

7 hours ago, Graycruise said:

What a great travel website -- I'd never heard of it before, but I had a look now, and it seems to have a lot of relevant and interesting content for Canadian travellers.  Bookmarked it.   Thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ALD18 said:

We are investigating a cruise in May and at present the return PCR test is included.  Issue though is timing if we wish to stay another day in disembarkment location.  Sounds like final day to get tested on ship is the day before you get off.  Dependent on what time you get it done could affect how long you can stay after the cruise.  Friends have a all inclusive booked in Mexico soon and cost of PCR test is not included.  They have to fork over $180 per person for the test.  Antigen was marginally cheaper, but cheaper none the less.  My concern is if we stay longer in European city after cruise, will exceed the 72 hours interval, how much and where can we get a PCR test in Europe.  Not a major issue, but a concern timing and financially wise none the less.

We just returned from eight nights in France. It was easy getting the PCR test. We were in Nice and there was a Pharmacy very close to our hotel advertising it. They did the swab and paperwork and then we walked five minutes to drop it off at the lab. It cost €45 per person with results guaranteed in 12 hours.

My pre trip research showed there are scads of testing sites in Europe. Well, at least in larger tourist centres. 

We took a Manulife insurance policy that includes coverage for possible quarantine costs.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, ALD18 said:

Staying an extra day won't pose a problem. Look at the following example:

FRI 8:00 AM - Test

SAT 8:00 AM - Disembark (elapsed time, 24 hours)

SUN 8:00 AM - Flight (elapsed time, 48 hours)

MON 8:00 AM - Alternative Flight (elapsed time, 72 hours)

You can very easily stay an extra day and remain within your 72 hour window. In fact, depending on your test and flight times, you could possibly squeeze in two extra days.

• Like 1

You're spot on Fouremco in regards to how to "manipulate" your time after the cruise.  Part of the problem is, so to speak, is I don't believe you can have test on actual disembark day, you have to have it the day before getting off and not sure how late in day you can have it done.  Suspect it would be earlier rather than later in day to get your result.  That brings the first 24 hours pretty much while you are either on or just getting off ship.  Second # is the actual departure of your flight.  Apparently Canada PCR test is actual 72 hours, not calendar day.  So if you get tested and results at 12:00 on final cruise day your first 24 hours would be at noon on disembark day.  Not much time to do much.  Then you would have 48 additional hours for plane departure time.  It would need to depart by noon on second day on land.  Take into consideration airport arrival time you would basically get 1 full day at arrival city.  You would have to juggle how long you need/want to stay and make sure those time work for you.  That or get a PCR test on the 1st or 2nd day on land to extend those 72 hours.  Kind of complicated, but nothing that one can't work out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

It looks like the PCR test requirement will stay in place until the health authorities determine it is not necessary. Sure, it's expensive and inconvenient. I won't be going to Buffalo next month to see my Maple Leafs destroy the Sabres,  😪 because the savings from the cheaper ticket in Buffalo compared to Toronto is offset by the cost of the PCR test (almost). It will also add to the cost of our December AI. Oh well, that's just the cost of pandemic travel right now. 🤷‍♂️

Watching OUR LEAFS on TV vs travel to Buffalo is cheaper and safer...LOL.

51 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

You're spot on Fouremco in regards to how to "manipulate" your time after the cruise.  Part of the problem is, so to speak, is I don't believe you can have test on actual disembark day, you have to have it the day before getting off and not sure how late in day you can have it done.  Suspect it would be earlier rather than later in day to get your result.  That brings the first 24 hours pretty much while you are either on or just getting off ship.  Second # is the actual departure of your flight.  Apparently Canada PCR test is actual 72 hours, not calendar day.  So if you get tested and results at 12:00 on final cruise day your first 24 hours would be at noon on disembark day.  Not much time to do much.  Then you would have 48 additional hours for plane departure time.  It would need to depart by noon on second day on land.  Take into consideration airport arrival time you would basically get 1 full day at arrival city.  You would have to juggle how long you need/want to stay and make sure those time work for you.  That or get a PCR test on the 1st or 2nd day on land to extend those 72 hours.  Kind of complicated, but nothing that one can't work out.

It seems to vary by cruise line. Princess have decided to offer the free test to passengers immediately after disembarkation, on the pier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Staying an extra day won't pose a problem. Look at the following example:

FRI 8:00 AM - Test

SAT 8:00 AM - Disembark (elapsed time, 24 hours)

SUN 8:00 AM - Flight (elapsed time, 48 hours)

MON 8:00 AM - Alternative Flight (elapsed time, 72 hours)

You can very easily stay an extra day and remain within your 72 hour window. In fact, depending on your test and flight times, you could possibly squeeze in two extra days.

Do you time the 72 hrs from the time the test was taken, or the time you receive the results?  If it takes longer than 24 hrs to receive the results, I'm assuming one day is gone.  Concerns re Europe destination.  I think the 72 hrs is test timing dependent...so would have to test before 12 noon if we embark ship before 12 noon?  And some hrs. are lost with the time difference.  Confusing.

• Test Wed. 1st                 11 am
  • Results Thurs. 2nd         24 hrs
  • Flight Thurs. 2nd
  • Land Fri. 3rd                    48 hrs
  • Cruise leaves Sat. 4th    72 hrs

20 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Do you time the 72 hrs from the time the test was taken, or the time you receive the results?  If it takes longer than 24 hrs to receive the results, I'm assuming one day is gone.  Concerns re Europe destination.  I think the 72 hrs is test timing dependent...so would have to test before 12 noon if we embark ship before 12 noon?  And some hrs. are lost with the time difference.  Confusing.

• Test Wed. 1st                 11 am
  • Results Thurs. 2nd         24 hrs
  • Flight Thurs. 2nd
  • Land Fri. 3rd                    48 hrs
  • Cruise leaves Sat. 4th    72 hrs

The example I posted related to the requirements flying back to Canada at the conclusion of a cruise. The test must be taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of the flight. The time at which the results are made available may influence your travel arrangements but do not factor into the PCR test requirements.

The example you have provided is the reverse, it's a pre-cruise scenario and you haven't named either the country or the cruise line. For the sake of discussion, let's pretend that the cruise is from Italy and the line is Celebrity. Italy requires an antigen test within 72 hours of arrival, so you are ok on that front. But Celebrity, like most lines, require that you be tested within 2 days of embarkation, not 72 hours. Consequently, being tested on the 1st would not work. As most flights from Canada to Europe depart late in the day, however, there is no reason why you couldn't be tested early on the morning of the 2nd and have the results back long before your flight later in the day. That way, you would meet both sets of requirements.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Watching OUR LEAFS on TV vs travel to Buffalo is cheaper and safer...LOL.

Very true, but the chicken wings at home are not as good. Anchor Bar wings are worth the risk! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

Whole testing program, coming and going, is a pretty intricate web of details.  Some cruise lines are making it rather easy to meet all the requirements and footing the bill for the testing.  Others are passing the buck to the passengers to adhere to the lines rules.  You need to deal with all testing requirements down to the hour which makes it even harder to do.  But we can do it with a little patience and determination:)

Thanks and your guess is correct....Italy in June '22 (signature below gave me away...LOL).  I considered testing day of flight, but taking a chance we would have our results same day (none of the Air Canada listed locations are under 30 hrs in my area)..... some pharmacies 'guarantee' within 48 hrs?  Even the Toronto airport Switch Health is at best expedited to results in 6 hours and at a cost of $250 pp (our connection doesn't provide 6 hrs). With this timing it's possible we won't be able to take this cruise unless the requirement is dropped by then.  🤞