PCR Requirements Slackened?

ALD18

On 10/18/2021 at 8:21 AM, ALD18 said:

With the opening of the land crossings do you suspect the Federal Government will slacken or eliminate the PCR tests to reenter?  Possibly back to faster/easier/cheaper anitgen or no testing because of double dosed travelers?  Just wondering out loud:)

I had kinda hoped that the Feds would reciprocate the US' decision to allow mixed doses by removing the PCR test nonsense. It doesn't look hopeful in the short term. Perhaps when Parliament resumes one of the opposition parties  will bring it to the floor. 

33 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I had kinda hoped that the Feds would reciprocate the US' decision to allow mixed doses by removing the PCR test nonsense. It doesn't look hopeful in the short term. Perhaps when Parliament resumes one of the opposition parties  will bring it to the floor. 

The test requirement is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. At best antigen tests may become acceptable. Possibly tests will not be needed for day trippers. But getting rid of a test requirement doesn't really make sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks and your guess is correct....Italy in June '22 (signature below gave me away...LOL).  I considered testing day of flight, but taking a chance we would have our results same day (none of the Air Canada listed locations are under 30 hrs in my area)..... some pharmacies 'guarantee' within 48 hrs?  Even the Toronto airport Switch Health is at best expedited to results in 6 hours and at a cost of $250 pp (our connection doesn't provide 6 hrs). With this timing it's possible we won't be able to take this cruise unless the requirement is dropped by then.  🤞

I have signature turned off, so I didn't see whatever it is that might give your destination away. Just a WAG. :classic_biggrin:

How long is your your connection time at Pearson? Switch Health offers a Rapid Antigen test with results in 30 minutes for only $60. I can understand 6 hours being unworkable, but only 1/2 hour? 

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I have signature turned off, so I didn't see whatever it is that might give your destination away. Just a WAG. :classic_biggrin:

How long is your your connection time at Pearson? Switch Health offers a Rapid Antigen test with results in 30 minutes for only $60. I can understand 6 hours being unworkable, but only 1/2 hour? 

I thought it had to be a PCR test for the ship and flight?  Yes, the RA test would be doable.  We have 3 hrs between flights.  This is confusing with the requirements different in each location.  Probably no point in researching this so far in advance....may change by next March (final payment).

31 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I thought it had to be a PCR test for the ship and flight?  Yes, the RA test would be doable.  We have 3 hrs between flights.  This is confusing with the requirements different in each location.  Probably no point in researching this so far in advance....may change by next March (final payment).

Antigen Test needed for flight into the U.S. (within 72 hours)

Antigen Test to board a cruise ship in the U.S. (within 48 hours)

PCR Test to get back into Canada (within 72 hours)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Antigen Test needed for flight into the U.S. (within 72 hours)

Antigen Test to board a cruise ship in the U.S. (within 48 hours)

PCR Test to get back into Canada (within 72 hours)

My flights this time are to Europe.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Currently, both the ship and Italy accept an antigen test. As you say, this might well change by next year, but at least you know now that there is a solution if they don't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I would hedge your bets by calling the airline (closer to the date) and asking whether the test is required from the point of origin or if it’s okay to take it between connections. 

You need a negative PCR test to return to Canada.  The test has to be done 72 hours before the departure of your first flight.  Connector flights are outside of the 72 hour window and have no affect on process.  As well the test time stamp is the 72 hour indicator, it is actual hour not calendar day.  So if your test is stamped at 10:00 a.m you have actual 72 hours to that 10:00 a.m on first departure time.  Anything after 10:00 on departure date is invalid.  I would suspect the clock would start on the actual test time, not results time. 

9 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I would hedge your bets by calling the airline (closer to the date) and asking whether the test is required from the point of origin or if it’s okay to take it between connections. 

Good point....BTW...I LOVE your signature....

Veni Vidi Velcro
I came; I saw; I stuck around

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

You need a negative PCR test to return to Canada.  The test has to be done 72 hours before the departure of your first flight.  Connector flights are outside of the 72 hour window and have no affect on process.  As well the test time stamp is the 72 hour indicator, it is actual hour not calendar day.  So if your test is stamped at 10:00 a.m you have actual 72 hours to that 10:00 a.m on first departure time.  Anything after 10:00 on departure date is invalid.  I would suspect the clock would start on the actual test time, not results time. 

Thanks....we're ok for return flight...PCR onboard ship, results on disembarking, leaving day after that.  Our concern was departure.   So you're saying the antigen test would have to be taken prior to our first flight...that might still work if the results are returned faster than the PCR test would be.  I'm thinking there are more than a few who will be caught up in this timing issue and may not cruise because of it.

If you are concerned about your "going to" location you will need to check your leaving airport and cruise requirements.  Going to US would require an antigen test, not PCR for admittance, 48 hours prior to entering.  Dependant on cruise line they mandate what type of and duration of test required.  For example RCL wants an antigen test 48 hours prior to check in and you pay for it.  As well the flight antigen would probably be sufficient for RCL as long as it was in the time window.  Norwegian does the test at port prior to you boarding and they pay for it.  RCL check in therefore much quicker process, but NCL would eliminate cost and possible test time expiring.  Another issue I discovered is testing before you get off ship has to be handled carefully dependant on your itinerary.  Most cruise lines will do antigen or PCR testing prior to getting off ship.  Some have qualifiers on when you can get the test on board.  Some state you can only get tested on the "last" at sea day.  So if you have a scheduled port of call the day before getting off ship you would possibly have to move the testing day back to your last sea day, and that could affect your 72 hour timing.  That could be a BIG issue you you have consecutive ports of call before getting off.  Don't image if the day before your disembarkation is a port of call they are going keep there testing centre open after hours, but they might, to appease those who get off ship for the whole day and getting results may be an issue.  All of the above is how I understand it is right now.  We have until May to continue to decipher the process and hope things become easier in the future.  Best of luck for your investigation:)

Edited by ALD18

53 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

If you are concerned about your "going to" location you will need to check your leaving airport and cruise requirements.  Going to US would require an antigen test, not PCR for admittance, 48 hours prior to entering.  Dependant on cruise line they mandate what type of and duration of test required.  For example RCL wants an antigen test 48 hours prior to check in and you pay for it.  As well the flight antigen would probably be sufficient for RCL as long as it was in the time window.  Norwegian does the test at port prior to you boarding and they pay for it.  RCL check in therefore much quicker process, but NCL would eliminate cost and possible test time expiring.  Another issue I discovered is testing before you get off ship has to be handled carefully dependant on your itinerary.  Most cruise lines will do antigen or PCR testing prior to getting off ship.  Some have qualifiers on when you can get the test on board.  Some state you can only get tested on the "last" at sea day.  So if you have a scheduled port of call the day before getting off ship you would possibly have to move the testing day back to your last sea day, and that could affect your 72 hour timing.  That could be a BIG issue you you have consecutive ports of call before getting off.  Don't image if the day before your disembarkation is a port of call they are going keep there testing centre open after hours, but they might, to appease those who get off ship for the whole day and getting results may be an issue.  All of the above is how I understand it is right now.  We have until May to continue to decipher the process and hope things become easier in the future.  Best of luck for your investigation:)

All you say is valid.  I have checked airline advice, country point of entry information, and Canadian vaccine requirements.  Test must be done 6/1 to receive results 6/2, since we're departing Toronto airport via Air Canada late 6/2, arriving Rome 6/3, cruise departs 6/4...timing is tight.  Seems it's a simple 72 hrs but it comes down to what time to take test to coordinate with arrival at dock and get under the 72 hr requirement.    Re departure...Celebrity, at the moment, provides the required PCR test day before disembarking, results late evening or early next morning.  We're ok with the timing for that test.  Moot point right now....staying positive....looking ahead to all this going away....🤞😉

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 hours ago, ALD18 said:

You need a negative PCR test to return to Canada.  The test has to be done 72 hours before the departure of your first flight.  Connector flights are outside of the 72 hour window and have no affect on process. 

In fact, the test has to be done within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last flight, not your first flight:

• If you have a connecting flight:
    • the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In fact, the test has to be done within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last flight, not your first flight:

• the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada

That covers our RETURN flight...test at cruise ship, return day after disembarking, all OK.  Wish it was the same on departure FROM Canada.

Just spoke with a person at our FIRST airport flight TO Europe.  Must have testing done BEFORE connecting in Toronto because final destination is International.   Hopefully the Antigen test (could get it later as it has a quicker result turnaround time) is authorized on departing Canada (not recognized ENTERING Canada, must be PCR or similar).  The Rome airport conducts its own Antigen test on passenger arrival (at least right now they do) despite having a Canadian test in hand.

15 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

That covers our RETURN flight...test at cruise ship, return day after disembarking, all OK.  Wish it was the same on departure FROM Canada.

Just spoke with a person at our FIRST airport flight TO Europe.  Must have testing done BEFORE connecting in Toronto because final destination is International.   Hopefully the Antigen test (could get it later as it has a quicker result turnaround time) is authorized on departing Canada (not recognized ENTERING Canada, must be PCR or similar).  The Rome airport conducts its own Antigen test on passenger arrival (at least right now they do) despite having a Canadian test in hand.

Just as I thought. Whether flying out or flying back, the test requirements apply only to the international leg of your flights. It's the same thing as needing to have your passport for the flight to Italy but not for your domestic flight to Toronto.

16 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Where is Switch Health at Pearson?  Last I heard it was out in the parking garage not in the terminal.  That was a couple of months back so it might have changed.

Indeed I was wrong on the connector flights.  Or it changed since I read it on weekend:)  It makes things even messier and complicated if you start to factor in delays or cancellations either on departure or connector flights.  You're stuck in a European airport due to a flight delay or cancellation and the 72 hour timer expires.  Now you're stuck with finding a PCR test centre, probably paying big $'s for it, possibly 12-24 hour result wait time, and then trying to reschedule another flight.  All while on the road.   Cringe just thinking about it:(

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Just as I thought. Whether flying out or flying back, the test requirements apply only to the international leg of your flights. It's the same thing as needing to have your passport for the flight to Italy but not for your domestic flight to Toronto.

Seems this answers my questions;  only full vaccination required to fly.  At Rome airport, they take their own test;  at the ship they also take their own test;  on disembarking X provides the PCR test.  Hope this is the latest info...websites are notorious for not updating...!  And by next year...we may be able to travel JUST with proof of vaccination.

From GoC Transportation:

Effective October 30, travellers will need to be fully vaccinated in order to board. Specifically, the vaccination requirement will apply to all travellers 12 years of age and older who are:

• Air passengers flying on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from airports in Canada

From Advice on arrival at Rome airport:

ENTRY TO ITALY:

Entry rules to Italy vary depending on what country you are traveling from. Guests will be required to present proof of either vaccination, negative COVID_19 test result or recovery certificate depending on their country of origin.

Travellers arriving on COVID-tested flights are required to take a molecular COVID-19 RT-PCR or antigen swab test on arrival.

From Celebrity Q&A re Rome Embarkation:

Guest testing requirements for cruises departing from Rome, Italy vary depending on your age and vaccine status.

VACCINATED GUESTS:

• On boarding day, guests will take a rapid antigen test during check-in at the terminal.
    • We will contact you via email approximately 14-18 days prior to sailing with instructions on how to register for the antigen test at the port. This will expedite the testing process at the port. Please ensure that you have provided us with your email address so we can share this important information with you.

11 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Where is Switch Health at Pearson?  Last I heard it was out in the parking garage not in the terminal.  That was a couple of months back so it might have changed.

That's the location provided on one of the sites I just visited....so many I've lost track...sorry.

6 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Think positive.  You can't control any flight delays or cancelations.  Your ride to the airport could have a flat tire and you miss your flight.  Positive thinking will result in positive results.

But...being a realist....staying positive won't positively avoid the flat tire.  Better to prepare for eventualities....LOL.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

You're stuck in a European airport due to a flight delay or cancellation and the 72 hour timer expires.

Flight delays were taken into consideration when the requirements were initiated.

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Seems this answers my questions;  only full vaccination required to fly.  At Rome airport, they take their own test;  at the ship they also take their own test;  on disembarking X provides the PCR test.  Hope this is the latest info...websites are notorious for not updating...!  And by next year...we may be able to travel JUST with proof of vaccination.

From GoC Transportation:

Effective October 30, travellers will need to be fully vaccinated in order to board. Specifically, the vaccination requirement will apply to all travellers 12 years of age and older who are:

• Air passengers flying on domestic, transborder or international flights departing from airports in Canada

From Advice on arrival at Rome airport:

ENTRY TO ITALY:

Entry rules to Italy vary depending on what country you are traveling from. Guests will be required to present proof of either vaccination, negative COVID_19 test result or recovery certificate depending on their country of origin.

Travellers arriving on COVID-tested flights are required to take a molecular COVID-19 RT-PCR or antigen swab test on arrival.

From Celebrity Q&A re Rome Embarkation:

Guest testing requirements for cruises departing from Rome, Italy vary depending on your age and vaccine status.

VACCINATED GUESTS:

• On boarding day, guests will take a rapid antigen test during check-in at the terminal.
    • We will contact you via email approximately 14-18 days prior to sailing with instructions on how to register for the antigen test at the port. This will expedite the testing process at the port. Please ensure that you have provided us with your email address so we can share this important information with you.

Can't wait to do this all over again next spring when everything has changed! :classic_biggrin:

Seriously, you've advanced by leaps and bounds with your planning and I'm sure that a lot of readers have benefitted from following your progress.

• Like 1