Terrace Cafe Question from Oceania Newbie

espmass

I have not yet been on an Oceania ship and will be on the Riviera in February.  I see on the deck plan that the Terrace Cafe is on the same level as the pool.  While at the pool, is the Terrace Cafe a place we can go and sit to eat while in swim suits as long as we have covers on or do we need to change into clothing first?  Thank you.

I guess it depends upon your definition of “ covers”. I know they have turned back people trying to use their bathrobe as a cover. They also don’t want wet bottoms.

Waves is especially geared for people utilizing the pool, and immediately adjacent to it.

I agree they don’t want you leaving a trail of water on the floor or putting wet bottoms on the cushions.  That’s what Waves is for. 

For men, personally, even if dry, I would not wear flashy, bright, patterned swim trunks and flip flops into the Terrace.  But… dry plain dark blue swimming shorts with an untucked polo shirt (a smaller % of people would wear a t-shirt) with deck or tennis shoes won’t be out of place.  

9 hours ago, espmass said:

I have not yet been on an Oceania ship and will be on the Riviera in February.  I see on the deck plan that the Terrace Cafe is on the same level as the pool.  While at the pool, is the Terrace Cafe a place we can go and sit to eat while in swim suits as long as we have covers on or do we need to change into clothing first?  Thank you.

Go to Waves -even with cover-ups.

Thanks and I we plan to try both the Terrace Cafe and Waves.  Obviously we wouldn't go with wet swim suits.  We will plan for Waves while sitting at the pool and save the Terrace Cafe for when dressed. 

• Like 2

Some have posted here they find dress codes archaic, but that is not a universal feeling. Allow me to add another venue where swim suits and bathrobes are not allowed.

Daily, Oceania presents a very nice, almost elegant, Afternoon Tea in Horizons starting at 4:00 (16:00). Regular ship casual dress is allowed. However, despite announcements by the CD, and regular blurbs in the daily Currents, there are always some that feel that just their swimsuit or maybe a bathrobe is appropriate attire for Tea. It’s NOT and the staff is then forced to quickly usher those passengers out of Horizons. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, espmass said:

Thank you for the question.... as another Oceania first timer this is the type of info I appreciate along with the detailed info from pinotlover and Flatbush Flyer on this and other posts,  thank you!

• Like 4

Thanks for the welcome cbb.  We are so looking forward to trying Oceania.  And thanks pinotlover for the advice on tea.  I wouldn't ever consider going to an afternoon tea in a swim suit although, as you said, there are others who feel it's all right.  Marieps, I saw a pic posted somewhere of the surf and turf and it made my mouth water.  Thanks for all the information from everyone.

• Like 3

Another cruiser turned me onto asking for the black truffle sauce from the wagyu burger to be put onto the surf and turf sandwich as a variation (agree that the usual sauce — garlic? — is already pretty tasty).

Also, grilled lamb chops for breakfast in the GDR (and I hear also in Terrace but have not confirmed).

(PS, I didn’t think espmass was a wet bathing suit wearer and sorry if I offended, but as others have pointed out, when SOME people do try to wear robes into Terrace and Horizons, you just can’t assume anything…)

That's not the pic I remember seeing but that looks fabulous.  I had previously posted somewhere about how I plan to get through the next few cold Winter months reading and re-reading the Riviera sample menus.  Sad, huh?

15 minutes ago, espmass said:

That's not the pic I remember seeing but that looks fabulous.  I had previously posted somewhere about how I plan to get through the next few cold Winter months reading and re-reading the Riviera sample menus.  Sad, huh?

Not sad, just hopeful and keen.  I look for any food pics and I view over and over you tube videos of the cabins.  Nov 2019 was my last time on Oceania and I'm counting the days til the Dec 3rd cruise.  I think we are on the same cruise in Feb.

Clutj- your pic is better than mine.

4 hours ago, marieps said:

When you go to Waves, try the surf and turf.  Quite good, even with frozen lobster.  You can skip the bun if you prefer and focus on the protein.   The sauce is wonderful.

A double order of lobster is even better.  Skip the turf. 

• Like 3

My standard Waves Grill lunch order: Double surf, no turf, no bun, no fries, plus fresh (made-to-order ingredients) salad. Also, that way I have less guilt if I sometime later sample the “flavor of the day” Humphry Slocombe ice cream, recently added to Oceania, happily sampled on my March 2020 Caribbean cruise on Riviera and certainly not forgotten! 🍨

• Like 3

espmass--

one thing you learn early when you sail O is to leave your guilt behind....no use sailing on a wonderful ship with divine food and amazing staff/crew and feeling guilty about it.

Save it for when you get home.  I call my extra lbs  a 'souvenir'  

if you dine at Terraces, you can go to the Grill Station and the crew will grill a wide variety of meats for you. 

You can also go to the wok station and have them add broccoli, or onions, or pineapple, etc to whatever else is going on.  I have even had them wok a chicken breast and then gone to the salad bar and stocked up on carrots, broccoli, etc and brought it back to them to add.  The Wok Dude is wonderful.

that said, if you ever sail ATWs, you DO have to really watch the weight so join us on the track and at the salad bar! 

Your World Your Way....at Terraces!

Edited by cbb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All I can say is we are on Riviera right now, docked on a lovely 74 degree day in Rhodes, gorgeous. Food, oh yes, Waves is ready for you and thesurf and turf and burgers are just waiting for you. With less than 500 guests on board,, there was no availability in the Premiums tonight so the lucky diners are having a feeding frenzy. Ate in Red Ginger last night and it was even better than BC, aka Before COvid. Testing Polo tonight and Toscana tomorrow. 
start your diets now and you will be ready to sail by Spring. 
mauibabes

• Like 5

Love hearing about the food so I have really appreciated all the comments!  I can't say the food on a cruise has ever mattered to me before because we have only been on Princess, RCI, and Celebrity.  That's different now that we will be trying Oceania and I plan to try pretty much everything.  Luckily for me I am a total "gym rat" and start every morning even on cruises at the gym.  cbb, your comment about calling weight gained your "souvenir" is really funny and a great way to look at it.  Mauibabes, how nice to be in that port.  Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

With less than 500 guests on board,, there was no availability in the Premiums tonight so the lucky diners are having a feeding frenzy.

Translation please?  Are the Premiums the Specialty restaurants?  "no availability" with less than 500 people on board?  Does that mean that they are drastically reducing the number that can dine in Specialties?

• Haha 1

check Terraces port entrance when it opens for breakfast/lunch. 

On the R ships, pre-covid,  a staff member would be standing at a podium to check availability of the specialty restaurants for that night and could often find openings for dinner that night. 

Edited by cbb
  • Thanks 1