Toronto airport delays on return to Canada

archer_310

15 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Definitely hoping that will be the case as my conditional approval expires in April 2022.  I can only imagine the huge backlog of new applications and renewal interviews they would have to plow through if they decided to re-interview already conditionally-approved re-applicants.

Yes, and compounded by the Afghanistan and southern border refugee crisis. I would think that someone they have previously vetted and approved would stand a decent chance of being placed on the approval list.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, OVgirl said:

I had initially booked a non-stop return flight from FLL to YOW on Air Canada with HAL Flightease. But then AC cancelled it and now connecting through Toronto as well. We have a 2.5 hour connection. I didn't think that would be a problem but now I'm not sure.

Maybe we'll get lucky and AC will reinstate the non-stop flight.

@Fouremco  and OVgirl (it wouldn’t tag),   Not only are there no direct flights from FLL to YOW, Air Canada just cancelled the direct flights YOW to FLL and are connecting them through YYZ, YUL, and Tampa.   At least for the beginning of December.   I only found out because I called Air Canada to make sure HAL had arranged for assistance at the airport and the AC agent told me it’s been changed.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evilmuffin said:

@Fouremco  and OVgirl (it wouldn’t tag),   Not only are there no direct flights from FLL to YOW, Air Canada just cancelled the direct flights YOW to FLL and are connecting them through YYZ, YUL, and Tampa.   At least for the beginning of December.   I only found out because I called Air Canada to make sure HAL had arranged for assistance at the airport and the AC agent told me it’s been changed.   

Thanks for the heads up! I just double checked and our March flight to FLL is still direct, so I'm hoping that will stay.  🤞  But I noticed for the return flight that they've added a new option through YUL that wasn't there when I booked. Even without the Toronto issue, I may change as it departs a little later and gives us a bit more of a leisurely morning.

Now tagged: @OVgirl 

20 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I also checked Air Canada and they do have a couple flights that connect in Tampa.  That doesn't seem like a bad idea because you would end up doing immigration in Ottawa.

Another option I'll have to look at. 👍

2 hours ago, OVgirl said:

I also checked Air Canada and they do have a couple flights that connect in Tampa.  That doesn't seem like a bad idea because you would end up doing immigration in Ottawa.

I’d rather stay away from all american airlines right now.   They have been experiencing alot of issues including big problems with angry passengers.   Not that it won’t happen on an Air Canada flight, but so far it seems less likely.    I have wheelchair assistance so I can just sit and wait in the line.   

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, Fouremco said:

My understanding is that all airlines must verify that a passenger has submitted the requisite information using the ArriveCAN and has the receipt to prove it. Like having to ensure that passengers have a passport, required visas, etc., I believe that all international airlines cooperate willingly, as failure to do so means that their landing rights in Canada would be cancelled.

What are the options to 'submit the requisite information using the ArriveCAN' IF the the passeneger does NOT have a 'Smartphone', (like me)? ☹️

1 hour ago, GeriatricNurse said:

What are the options to 'submit the requisite information using the ArriveCAN' IF the the passeneger does NOT have a 'Smartphone', (like me)? ☹️

Here's info I found regarding your question....

"If you don't have a compatible smartphone, you can submit your information through the browser version of ArriveCAN on any computer. This can include a public computer at a library, an internet café or a hotel.

These places will also often have a printer, allowing you to print out your ArriveCAN receipt. Upon arrival, a Canadian Border Services officer will ask to see your ArriveCAN receipt. If you're not carrying a smartphone or other device, be sure to have a printout of our ArriveCAN receipt ready.

Alternatively, the government also suggests asking a friend or a family member who does have a compatible device to fill out the information for you and email you the receipt. You'll still have to find a printer to print the receipt if you choose this option."

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, Fouremco said:

Once those doors are opened for passengers with connecting flights, there is no reason why NEXUS members could not also deplane.

The only thing that goes through my mind is, will luggage for connecting flights or Nexus guests be off loaded in time for connections.  Who knows where it has been placed below.  The ground crew might be able to off load connecting flights, if they were loaded last but they would have no way of knowing who the Nexus flyer is and where their bag lays in the stack. 

It would suck to get clearance off the plane immediately with Nexus, only to have to wait for the luggage to be unloaded 1-4 hours later while waiting at the carousel. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

On 10/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, Fouremco said:

We were unable to get a direct flight to Ottawa from Fort Lauderdale following our upcoming cruise and have to connect in Toronto. The more I read about the zoo there, the more I'm tempted to spend debarkation night in Fort Lauderdale and take a direct flight which is available the following day.

Is MIA an option or MCO?  It is not a fun drive though to Orlando though, but might be bette than sitting in Toronto.  Waiting overnight in Fort Lauderdale might be the best option in reality.

Your 72 hour PCR test on board should work for a flight two days later; test done Saturday and flight on Monday morning. Hope it works out.

5 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

3 hours ago, xcell said:

Here's info I found regarding your question....

"If you don't have a compatible smartphone, you can submit your information through the browser version of ArriveCAN on any computer. This can include a public computer at a library, an internet café or a hotel.

These places will also often have a printer, allowing you to print out your ArriveCAN receipt. Upon arrival, a Canadian Border Services officer will ask to see your ArriveCAN receipt. If you're not carrying a smartphone or other device, be sure to have a printout of our ArriveCAN receipt ready.

Alternatively, the government also suggests asking a friend or a family member who does have a compatible device to fill out the information for you and email you the receipt. You'll still have to find a printer to print the receipt if you choose this option."

@GeriatricNurse, if you don't have a smartphone, do you have a laptop, tablet (iPad etc.) or even an iPod that you could take on a cruise? Those are all viable options. If you don't have any device that can run the ArriveCAN app, then you'll need to plan how to access a computer on board or at a location ashore once you've disembarked. For a Celebrity cruise, the iLounge has everything you'll need.

I strongly recommend that you go online at home now to create an ArriveCAN account and start entering your information. You should be able to enter everything other that your flight information in advance. Get familiar with it now so that when you are aboard you won't experience any difficulty finishing information, submitting your information and printing your receipt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The only thing that goes through my mind is, will luggage for connecting flights or Nexus guests be off loaded in time for connections.  Who knows where it has been placed below.  The ground crew might be able to off load connecting flights, if they were loaded last but they would have no way of knowing who the Nexus flyer is and where their bag lays in the stack. 

It would suck to get clearance off the plane immediately with Nexus, only to have to wait for the luggage to be unloaded 1-4 hours later while waiting at the carousel. 

The baggage handlers start offloading all of the baggage as soon as the plane has pulled up to the gate and shut down, not when passengers are allowed to deplane. If there's a delay getting passengers off, their bags will be waiting for them at the carousel instead of the other way around.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Is MIA an option or MCO?  It is not a fun drive though to Orlando though, but might be bette than sitting in Toronto.  Waiting overnight in Fort Lauderdale might be the best option in reality.

Your 72 hour PCR test on board should work for a flight two days later; test done Saturday and flight on Monday morning. Hope it works out.

MIA is always an option, and we have done that in the past, but there's nothing this time around better than what we have out of FLL. As for MCO, I'd rather sit on the plane in Toronto than go through the process of having to rent a car and drive to Orlando. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

Pre-Covid it was always best (and usually cheaper) to book flights well in advance. I am loathe to do that now as Canadian airlines are cancelling or re-scheduling flights all over the place.  My upcoming cruise is in late March; returning in early April.  On my travel days there is currently no direct AC flights YOW-FLL either way.  What there is is a lot of flights using both Montreal and Toronto.  I cannot for a moment believe that AC will actually operate so many flights each day between FLL and either of those 2 airports.  I think what they’ve done is “schedule” a bunch of options to see which ones get the most “traction”.  Then cancel the other ones.  So if you’re one of the unlucky passengers, you either get out on a different flight (earlier or later) or even the following day.  That’s why I’m not booking flights yet even if I end up having to pay more by waiting.  Not an ideal situation.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

MIA is always an option, and we have done that in the past, but there's nothing this time around better than what we have out of FLL. As for MCO, I'd rather sit on the plane in Toronto than go through the process of having to rent a car and drive to Orlando. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

It is a tough call but I’ve done the drive from Disney to FLL and it sucks.  I’d take my chances in Toronto like you would. 

If the price is right, I like to fly into FLL, rent a car and drive it MIA and then drop it off. There's a shuttle from the MIA to cruise port for those with car rentals and it's free (or it was, it has been 2 years since my last cruise).

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@GeriatricNurse, if you don't have a smartphone, do you have a laptop, tablet (iPad etc.) or even an iPod that you could take on a cruise? Those are all viable options. If you don't have any device that can run the ArriveCAN app, then you'll need to plan how to access a computer on board or at a location ashore once you've disembarked. For a Celebrity cruise, the iLounge has everything you'll need.

I strongly recommend that you go online at home now to create an ArriveCAN account and start entering your information. You should be able to enter everything other that your flight information in advance. Get familiar with it now so that when you are aboard you won't experience any difficulty finishing information, submitting your information and printing your receipt.

Thank you for your post related to my concern.

I value your advice & suggestions that you give on this site!

Yes, I do have a tablet which I will take with me.

Today, I created an ArriveCAN account and will enter all the information that it will allow me to do before departure from home.

Thank you so very much for this post! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Thank you for your post related to my concern.

I value your advice & suggestions that you give on this site!

Yes, I do have a tablet which I will take with me.

Today, I created an ArriveCAN account and will enter all the information that it will allow me to do before departure from home.

Thank you so very much for this post! 

You are very welcome. There are many new twists and turns on the way to the ship these days, and I don't know what we would do without CC. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I was on Oasis class ships with Royal Caribbean and they have an option to purchase computer use for one hour for 10 bucks so you could pick your seats and print your boarding pass on your last day prior to departure.

I think the computers were in the library . You could check with guest services on your ship.

• Like 1

We landed last night (Monday Oct 25) at approx. 8:15pm and went through Terminal 1 at Pearson - the usual scenario being parked at probably the last possible gate and had to walk miles to get to customs, then do the automated declaration process with the terminal and then the custom agent. The custom agent didn't even look at the arrivecan receipt. It took probably about 75 mins from time landing to actually getting out of the airport.

We came from Rome via Lisbon. Two weeks ago we landed in Rome and were probably out of the airport in less than 30 mins. 

• Like 1

Even heading to the US from Toronto is a wait, we left Monday, Ottawa to Toronto to Orlando and our flight from TO was delayed a good 90+ minutes. We were told because of US customs. I would believe that, the lines were nuts but we have Nexus so easy and short for us. I have direct flights booked for March break, I hope they happen! We fly home Sunday but will be landing in Montreal, hoping for a better time. And no delay. 

14 hours ago, phoenix_joy said:

We came from Rome via Lisbon. Two weeks ago we landed in Rome and were probably out of the airport in less than 30 mins. 

Great!  asking someone with experience flying in and out of Rome.  I checked Air Canada's info site and it indicated any passenger arriving in Rome would have a covid test (nasal swab?) done by them upon arrival, and submit proof of covid vaccination.  True?  and when flying out of Rome, I'm assuming the airline checks your proof of covid vaccination and PCR test done on the ship before boarding?

Edited by Oceangoer2

11 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

Even heading to the US from Toronto is a wait, we left Monday, Ottawa to Toronto to Orlando and our flight from TO was delayed a good 90+ minutes. We were told because of US customs. I would believe that, the lines were nuts but we have Nexus so easy and short for us. I have direct flights booked for March break, I hope they happen! We fly home Sunday but will be landing in Montreal, hoping for a better time. And no delay. 

I thought there was preclearance for US customs in Ottawa…why did you have to go through it in Toronto?