cruise cabin toilet question

Kitty Ellas Mom

10 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Ships drain pipes are moving with the ship...that means the "traps" will sometimes "dry out".   Pouring water down the floor drain and shower drain, and keeping the sink  plug closed  can help.  This DOES happen on ships from time to time....and it's more of a "sewer" odor than a "urine" smell.....perhaps someone had an accident in the cabin and they didn't get it cleaned properly??

The "sewer" smell can happen anywhere on the ship......hopefully, it won't happen on your next cruise.

May I suggest leaving the technical discussons, to the Chief, who has already responded.

Clearly the deck scuppers move with the ship, as they aren't on gimbals. The scupper trap are normally only affected by extreme ship's movement, as most of the drying is caused by the A/C.

• Like 1

I don't think they can use a bleach product on ships, there is too much stainless steel and bleach will corrode stainless steel. The smell you get is, as already been stated by others, the cleaning solution they can use, just spray a bit of deodorant in the bathroom and you can have you own sweet smell 😂

2 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

I don't think they can use a bleach product on ships, there is too much stainless steel and bleach will corrode stainless steel. The smell you get is, as already been stated by others, the cleaning solution they can use, just spray a bit of deodorant in the bathroom and you can have you own sweet smell 😂

While it is true that bleach will corrode stainless steel, the studies I've seen use a 1:10 bleach dilution (which results in an 800ppm solution, and the stainless had to be submerged in the bleach continuously for 6-8 weeks to show corrosion.  This solution is 4 times as strong as the recommended sanitizing solution from the CDC (200ppm).  Bleach is almost universally used as a sanitizing agent onboard ships, in the galleys, where stainless steel predominates.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Following this discussion with interest ! 

I'm currently on Sky Princess, but cannot see a drain in the bathroom area. Do newer ships have a different system?

By the way, no smell !

They are typically a gutter type at the door, or a round one under the toilet.

8 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

As the Chief mentioned, we regularly - and often - use diluted chlorine bleach in galley and pantry areas. But chlorine bleach can cause major damage to furnishings and soft goods in cabins and public areas.

Instead most cruise lines use a Canadian product that contains activated hydrogen peroxide to clean cabins and public areas. Sold as Virox and Vican (among other brand names) it has all the benefits of chlorine bleach, is unfortunately very costly, does not damage furnishings and soft goods, neutralizes all the viruses, but unfortunately must air-dry to be completely effective. As mentioned, one version of this cleaner leaves a milky residue and has a smell resembling vomit. The other leaves no visible residue and has a slight urine smell. A very similar product is marketed to the public as “Oxy-Clean”. Oxy-clean is less powerful, less costly, and less effective in treating viruses. But it does not leave a residue and does not leave any objectionable odor behind.

Edited by BruceMuzz