The Daily for Saturday October 23, 2021

richwmn

53 minutes ago, swmissouritravelers said:

Good morning, everyone.

I came across "The Daily" quite by accident.  Love it!  My question is....how do I place it on my "follow" list?  I can "follow" an individual day but haven't figured out how to follow the thread.  Your help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Welcome! Several continents, and numerous time zones represented, so it is a very busy thread. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, swmissouritravelers said:

Good morning, everyone.

I came across "The Daily" quite by accident.  Love it!  My question is....how do I place it on my "follow" list?  I can "follow" an individual day but haven't figured out how to follow the thread.  Your help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Wow!  You come on here as a first time poster with a simple question and get no help from us.  That isn't your fault and certainly isn't the way things work around here.  I was hoping there was a way to follow Rich but I looked in his profile and couldn't even see a way to do that.  As others have said, it's a very busy thread each day and Rich usually starts it off between 6 and 7 AM Eastern Time which I think is 5 to 6 AM your time.  Sorry we can't offer any real help.

Welcome aboard.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

I had a fitful night last night.   It was my back being bad.   I finally got up and put one of those lidocaine patches on it.  That did the trick.  

Make a Difference Day should be huge.   And it does go hand in hand with today's quote.   It reminds me of what my sister told me when she was working.  She tried to make every encounter with her staff leave them feeling better than they did to start.   We never know how important that is.  And, it doesn't take much on our part in many, many cases.  Just a warm smile or hello.  

I have a video conference today from 11:00 to 3:00.   Most of the speakers are ones I want to hear.  It would be better in person, but was switched to virtual due to the Delta surge.  The good part about the conference being virtual is that I can attend in my pajamas.  

Salmon is one of my favorites and it is so good for us.  I can eat it several times a week.  I have a recipe for salmon that is marinated in bourbon and orange juice.  Mmmmmm.

Here is a basic broiled salmon recipe with a lot of great information about salmon and cooking it in general:  https://www.primaverakitchen.com/quick-easy-broiled-salmon-recipe/

1694667994_broiledsalmon2.thumb.jpg.d76fcb63c2ab528c843b7a4f22409644.jpg

Here is one that is a little more involved - more spices and herbs.  There are also suggestions on easy variations so it isn't the same old, same old all the time.   https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/broiled-salmon-fillets/

broiled-salmon-11.thumb.jpg.d669106938ecc70d4fa64c756f078118.jpg

And here is another one with some great ideas for variations.  This one also talks about doneness.   For safety, it is recommended that you cook salmon to 145 degrees.  Unless the salmon has been deep frozen before hand, you do want to cook it well done.  You can get tape worms from salmon.  

https://www.cookingclassy.com/broiled-salmon/

broiled-salmon-15-600x900.thumb.jpg.bffa23a6d54738974a31cbad8d02ec21.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!

I don't usually comment on the food posts, but salmon is a favorite of ours.

When America's Test Kitchen was on Holland America, they featured salmon frequently, and we attended so as to "perfect" our home skills.  A little crispy on the outside and medium soft on the inside with a mustard/dill/wine/ etc topping is a true delight!  We treated ourselves to fresh vacuum packed salmon for the last 2 years at home while we were not spending and dining on our BHBs.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were back in Bacelona in 2002 on the Noordam III.  These are some pictures of Park Guell designed by Antoni Gaudi.  It is named for Gaudi's patron, Eusebi Guell.  In the name, park is in English as Gaudi admired the English city gardens.

The entrance to the park.  The flat area in one pictture is on top of the area above the columns.  As the park followed nature, there are no straight lines in the park.

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.ebe24fe08cf607316793f784fe43b392.JPG

Gaudi's famous lizaard guarding the entrance steps.

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.7c834eda4567486bd06207657458e902.JPG

The flat area

PICT0003.thumb.JPG.17386b7c62538305ddd3c1a59a5bc8b8.JPG

Looking down at the city and the buildings flanking the entrance.

PICT0005.thumb.JPG.b6de819b4ea9b311b8809b02c0303220.JPG

PICT0006.thumb.JPG.30066294de7f19d95d8d4d013972ade8.JPG

Noordam III from a long distance.

PICT0021.thumb.JPG.7962064e164933409a787ed958a3689f.JPG

We tried to revisit the park  in 2019 when we were on the Veendam.  At the park, we were told all that day's tickets were sold.  We needed to have purchased tickets online at least the day before.  We just looked arund the area near the park then took a city bus back toward town.  

We were glad we had seen Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia on early visits when there were not as many tourists.

Lenda

Always nice to see your pics!  I was there on the Noordam in 2003, my first HAL cruise.  I preferred

the S class which I thought was a big improvement over the N's.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

In 2017 I had a great vacation. It started with a Med cruise from Rome to Barcelona, followed by time in Spain, and Portugal, then a cruise from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale with a group of friends. Rather than try to pick some pictures, here is a link to what I posted about Barcelona at the time

http://www.wa70.com/trip/barcelona.html

Excellent review Rich.

Graham.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, swmissouritravelers said:

Good morning, everyone.

Welcome aboard the Daily! You'll love it here. As @kazu mentions,  each of Rich's posts are separate, posts every morning just like clock work! Some of us have been around for years, so this is the happening place! 

See you later.

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Thank Heaven for cardbordeaux. 🤣

I was just about to say that!  We'll be in a real pickle if they run out of cardboard - can you imagine going in and coming out with a bag o wine!?!   LOL

@swmissouritravelersWelcome to the Daily!  You'll find we're a friendly bunch, always ready to help with praise, information, or just moral support, whatever you need.  

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I was just about to say that!  We'll be in a real pickle if they run out of cardboard - can you imagine going in and coming out with a bag o wine!?!   LOL

@swmissouritravelersWelcome to the Daily!  You'll find we're a friendly bunch, always ready to help with praise, information, or just moral support, whatever you need.  

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

Gerry, the bag of wine beats coming out empty-handed.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, highscar said:

OH No!.  Just on CNN. Shortage of wine bottles. 😥

Good thing we like Australian cardbordeaux 🙂  but I have a feeling we better stock up 😉

3 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Thank Heaven for cardbordeaux. 🤣

My words exactly.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I was just about to say that!  We'll be in a real pickle if they run out of cardboard - can you imagine going in and coming out with a bag o wine!?! 

I’ll take one for the team and doing whatever it takes. 😉 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, highscar said:

OH No!.  Just on CNN. Shortage of wine bottles. 😥

Funny you say that, we were just at our locally owned wine store and the proprietor said the same thing , and cork too!  She said that champagne would be in short supply this holiday season, just an fyi.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Funny you say that, we were just at our locally owned wine store and the proprietor said the same thing , and cork too!  She said that champagne would be in short supply this holiday season, just an fyi.

Oh goodness.  Hope my sweet husband has Prosecco available.  Better hit the market tomorrow!

• Like 8

Usually when we get to Quartzsite, the hummingbirds start buzzing me wondering where their feeders are.  That did not happen this year, and I didn't see any around.  Yesterday, I finally got the four feeders filled and set up outside.

Happily,  this afternoon when I came out to read and enjoy the good weather, the first thing I noticed was a hummingbird at one of the feeders.  😀

I managed to get my planned project completed.  The dead branches were removed from the mesquite tree with the smaller ones in the garbage can.  The larger branches are piled up waiting to be hauled to the burn pile the other side of town.  The local fire department burns the pile when it gets too big and uses it as a training exercise.

Unfortunately, the tree has gotten top heavy and needs extensive cutting back. That is a job for our local guys who are better equipped for the job; so I hope we see them soon.

Lenda

• Like 14

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I love the quote of the day! 

I like salmon, but rarely have it.  I grew up with beef, pork and chicken grown on our place so never had the opportunity to learn how to cook salmon, and at the price of it don't want to mess it up!  Maybe I will venture out of my comfort zone and try preparing some!

@rafinmd  Thank you for the shout out!  Getting my A1C down was a goal I wanted to reach as it is something positive that I can do for myself and to share with my Grandson who is a Type 1 Diabetic, (his A1C was down to, not as much as we want but better!)

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you for the kinds words on the A1C!

@JazzyVThank you for the kind words, loosing weight is an ongoing process here.  The kind words help encourage me to keep on the path!

Hope everyone is able to get out and enjoy this nice fall weather, we worked out side and did yard clean up today, now taking a break and enjoying looking at all your cruise pictures everyone has been sharing!  Look forward to seeing more pictures!

Take Care

Denise

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Other than champagne, a lot of countries now use screw tops.  (Like Australia) and there’s not a thing wrong with that.

Sadly, champagne doesn’t come in cardbordeaux 😉 😂

Best stock up now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5