Jewel of the Seas - I don't like the sound of this!

Reading that Jewel of the Seas tested all passengers and crew shortly before the cruise ended in Cyprus  (80 per cent UK passengers)

11 positive passengers from approx 1,000

Who as a result would all then need to quarantine in Cyprus rather than do the normal and fly home to do a 2 day test on return to UK

Far better to get home and quarantine after day two test if positive than have to quarantine abroad

My planned tactics when cruising abroad again were to avoid any excursions that required tests and not join any bubbles or groups on board etc that could mean we need to test if someone else tests positive from excursion testing etc 

To avoid any overseas tests to be needed and minimise the chance of overseas quarantine

But if boats are going to start randomly testing everyone near the end that's not good in terms of just cruising and coming home with minimal risk of overseas quarantine

Wonder why they tested everyone ?

Cruise line decision or Cyprus Government decision?

Ps apparently all 9 dancers on the boat are also now in quarantine 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Reading that Jewel of the Seas tested all passengers and crew shortly before the cruise ended in Cyprus  (80 per cent UK passengers)

11 positive passengers from approx 1,000

Who as a result would all then need to quarantine in Cyprus rather than do the normal and fly home to do a 2 day test on return to UK

Far better to get home and quarantine after day two test if positive than have to quarantine abroad

My planned tactics when cruising abroad again were to avoid any excursions that required tests and not join any bubbles or groups on board etc that could mean we need to test if someone else tests positive from excursion testing etc 

To avoid any overseas tests to be needed and minimise the chance of overseas quarantine

But if boats are going to start randomly testing everyone near the end that's not good in terms of just cruising and coming home with minimal risk of overseas quarantine

Wonder why they tested everyone ?

Cruise line decision or Cyprus Government decision?

Ps apparently all 9 dancers on the boat are also now in quarantine 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/

I don’t think I will do any overseas trips for a while for that reason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t think I will do any overseas trips for a while for that reason.

Maybe I’m not understanding but why wouldn’t people who’ve tested positive be quarantined immediately. All 11 could have hopped on airplanes and gotten countless  others sick.  This should be the practice on every sailing. Crew members should be tested weekly since they’re coming in contact with countless people who’ve been off ship coming into contact with countless people.  I understand you don’t want to be caught sick in a foreign country but the alternative is traveling home sick and spreading. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Maybe I’m not understanding but why wouldn’t people who’ve tested positive be quarantined immediately. All 11 could have hopped on airplanes and gotten countless  others sick.  This should be the practice on every sailing. Crew members should be tested weekly since they’re coming in contact with countless people who’ve been off ship coming into contact with countless people.  I understand you don’t want to be caught sick in a foreign country but the alternative is traveling home sick and spreading. 

You would think they would be quarantined straight away.

A couple of weeks in a unfamiliar country,no thanks.

If the cruise was coming to an end maybe they had to test all passengers before they boarded their flights back home.        I believe the cruise lines are testing all crew on a weekly basis. 

It's good they caught the positive cases before they hoped on a plane and spread even more.

If you are not comfortable with the protocols then don't go abroad and board a ship.

Also, it is my understanding that passengers testing positive at the end of cruise will quarantine in a hotel, not on the ship.

• Like 2

It's a requirement by the Cypriot authorities that all passengers need to be tested on the final day of the cruise before the ship gets back to it's embarkation port. Same requirement was in place in Greece this season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If the cruise was coming to an end maybe they had to test all passengers before they boarded their flights back home.        I believe the cruise lines are testing all crew on a weekly basis. 

It's good they caught the positive cases before they hoped on a plane and spread even more.

If you are not comfortable with the protocols then don't go abroad and board a ship.

Also, it is my understanding that passengers testing positive at the end of cruise will quarantine in a hotel, not on the ship.

The airline is responsible for the flight protocol and entry requirements of your destination not the cruise line. For Jewel they just follow Cyprus government requests to re-enter the country.

Standard for all cruises in Europe that I’ve been on. Tested the day before disembarking. 

Those who are positive are taken to isolate in a hotel/villa -RCI pay for all food, drink and reschedule your flights home.

I disembarked Jewel on Saturday and witnessed 5 ambulances coming up to the ship to take the positive guests away. 

There were a group of Russian guests whose names were called to go back to their cabins immediately

Edited by little britain
  • Like 3

It is part of the protocol for sailing at present.    We sailed on Jewel on 9 October, and we had to do a Covid test before we could get on the ship at the port, after flying into Cyprus from the UK.    We were informed, that if anyone tested positive at that point, they would've been flown straight home again.   We then had to take another Covid test on the ship on Friday before we were due to disembark in Cyprus on the Saturday to fly home,  we only heard one couple being told to return to their cabin immediately (we presumed they'd tested positive), but they are tested again and if they test positive a second time,  they are not allowed to leave their cabin, and once back at port, they are taken to a quarantine hotel or villa to isolate until they are able to fly home.     Royal Caribbean are in constant contact with them daily.    There have been reports from people who have had to quarantine both posted on Cruise Critic and on social media.

All precautions are taken onboard the ship.   The Windjammer is serviced by crew members, and if you forget your mask, a crew member or officer will remind you or give you another to use.   

We felt very safe on our week onboard, and it was good to get back cruising again.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:12 AM, Saab4444 said:

The airline is responsible for the flight protocol and entry requirements of your destination not the cruise line. For Jewel they just follow Cyprus government requests to re-enter the country.

11 hours ago, dadatsea said:

Good news .. Jewel is passing Gibraltar at 18 knots..so she"s headed out to the Atlantic

You may want to re-check your location source - she's headed to Gibraltar, but still 3 days away from reaching the Atlantic.