Booster shot wishful thinking

DanBoy

57 minutes ago, nutensteve said:

I know that vaccinations have to be completed at least 14 days prior to cruising and wondered if this applies to booster shots. We have a booster scheduled for 11/1 and we board on 11/6. I hope this isn't a problem. 

Boosters are NOT required, so when you get your booster doesn't matter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

If boosters are now necessary to maintain your waning protection, why don't they matter?

My concern was the timing of the booster being so close to my cruise date. I do not doubt the necessity of the shot itself. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nutensteve said:

My concern was the timing of the booster being so close to my cruise date. I do not doubt the necessity of the shot itself. 

Sorry nutensteve my response was to Cruiser Bruce, but a glitch in the reply to option swept in your comment instead. Agree, timing of boosters should be as critical as the initial paper coverage of the first shots, if the goal is effective prevention

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Sorry nutensteve my response was to Cruiser Bruce, but a glitch in the reply to option swept in your comment instead. Agree, timing of boosters should be as critical as the initial paper coverage of the first shots, if the goal is effective prevention

But as boosters are NOT required, no cruise line is going to look at your record and say " you can't come aboard because you only got the booster 6 days ago. If boosters become required, we will cross that bridge.

• Like 1

We will just make it within the timing. I managed to make appointments for Moderna boosters for myself and DW today for this Friday. Next Monday would have been 8 months, which is when I believe I heard that Moderna starts to lose some efficacy. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

But as boosters are NOT required, no cruise line is going to look at your record and say " you can't come aboard because you only got the booster 6 days ago. If boosters become required, we will cross that bridge.

The issue is whether cruise lines and/or CDC want just a piece of paper (proof of approved injections), or whether they want proof of actual proven up to date infection protection. This is a moving target. Only time and accumulating data will tell what is really at stake.

Remember during the past  noro-scares we were encouraged  to use hand-sanitizer all the time, mandatory at entry to all dining venues .Then they stopped when it was learned the hand sanitizers were actually promoting the growth of more opportunistic microbes?  

Science is always evolving. Cruise industry is apparently a current test case and all will benefit from what they learn over time.. I am glad to see they are now moving from rigid demands to more flexible responses as more is learned from actual experience.  That is hopeful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I'm not getting a booster shot.  I'm tired of shots.  In the last couple of months I've had 2 Pfizer shots; stronger flu shot for those over 65, and a Prevnar 13 shot (pheumococcal).  The only shot I want is a shot of libation in a shot glass

I view the Booster as just a stress reducer, just a little less to worry about as I bob about on the ocean.

WHAT - You are not getting the Shingles Vaccine. I have been through the shingles may years ago - and it was No Fun at all. I have been there - and done that - and I am most definitely not going there again - If one little shot can protect me - I am all in. Time to get the new Shingles vaccine.

I am toooo old to be getting these preventable things - I am finding (the hard way)  I do not recover nearly as quickly as I used to.

• Like 6

Stress inducer was getting the second pneumococal vaccine and a few days later experiencing three months of diplopia (double vision). -with no other explanation than the vaccine. Right before we were to depart on our long South American cruise. Did that give me double value on that cruise seeing everything twice?

I only caution, don't be  flippant about any "vaccine", particularly this experimental one never tried before. These need to be careful and highly personal medical decisions. With fully informed consent, which is virtually impossible when they are introduced for the first time and everyone suddenly becomes a participant in their beta testing.

We will know more in a few more years. But it is a world of unknowns for all concerned as we speak and as we would all love to get back to "normal" again.  Meanwhile respect caution, not unearned cheerleading, when it comes to any group medical recommendations. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, RuthC said:

For those who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, only those who are over age 65, or have other compromising conditions, are approved for the boosters. 

That is not true.  I am mid 40s, have no compromising conditions, and I am getting my booster on Nov 9. My only requirement was that my second Phizer shot was at least 6 months ago.  

14 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I view the Booster as just a stress reducer, just a little less to worry about as I bob about on the ocean.

WHAT - You are not getting the Shingles Vaccine. I have been through the shingles may years ago - and it was No Fun at all. I have been there - and done that - and I am most definitely not going there again - If one little shot can protect me - I am all in. Time to get the new Shingles vaccine.

I am toooo old to be getting these preventable things - I am finding (the hard way)  I do not recover nearly as quickly as I used to.

I got the Singles Vaccine eight years ago and had a bad reaction to it.  My friends told me there is a new one out (2 shots) but I'm not going to get it.  Once was enough.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

That is not true.  I am mid 40s, have no compromising conditions, and I am getting my booster on Nov 9. My only requirement was that my second Phizer shot was at least 6 months ago.  

Today, CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, M.D., M.P.H., endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) recommendation for a booster shot of COVID-19 vaccines in certain populations. The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authorizationexternal icon and CDC’s recommendation for use are important steps forward as we work to stay ahead of the virus and keep Americans safe.

For individuals who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a booster shot at 6 months or more after their initial series:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I got the Singles Vaccine eight years ago and had a bad reaction to it.  My friends told me there is a new one out (2 shots) but I'm not going to get it.  Once was enough.

The Shingles shot you got years ago is not effective unfortunately. I got a bad case of shingles 11 years ago, got the shingles shot, got shingles again 5 years later!! I still have nerve pain from the first bout. The new shingles vaccine is quite different from the first and way more effective. You do not want to get shingles. It is horrific. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I talked to our doctor last week about the new shingles shot. He gave me the following (rounded) numbers. Without vaccinations 6 chances in 100,000 people, with old shot 3 in 100,000, with new shot 1 in 100,000. But having had shingles once (early 30's - now Late 60's) And I do not heal nearly as fast, and I get even more...grumpy...when not feeling well. I am going to get the new shot. I have been there, and done that, and not gonna do it again.

But then - I had no reaction to the old shot - so there is that.

I do truly wish you the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Add two more potential therapeutics to the list of wishful thinking to help bring this current infection scare under better control. From the Wall Street Journal page 6 - Thur Oct 28, 2021:

(1) a short course of an antidepressant fluvoxamine, trade name *****; and (2) a Merck "covid-pill" being licensed for low and moderate income countries.  

Both these therapeutics are reported to offer results similar to the current injections - significantly reducing numbers requiring post-infection hospitalizations, including reduction in persistent post-infection symptom reports. 

*Offered for news value only; no endorsement intended for their use. Just keeping the future of cruising open to all emerging infection control options, as reported in relatively credible media resources. Disclosure - WSJ of course is interested in the business side of these potential therapeutic options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I talked to our doctor last week about the new shingles shot. He gave me the following (rounded) numbers. Without vaccinations 6 chances in 100,000 people, with old shot 3 in 100,000, with new shot 1 in 100,000. But having had shingles once (early 30's - now Late 60's) And I do not heal nearly as fast, and I get even more...grumpy...when not feeling well. I am going to get the new shot. I have been there, and done that, and not gonna do it again.

But then - I had no reaction to the old shot - so there is that.

I do truly wish you the best.

I’ve had the old shot and the new one and I’m the only one in my family who hasn’t had shingles,  Both my DD and DS had them in their thirties or forties. I am grateful for the new much improved vaccine.

• Like 2

Add two more potential therapeutics to the list of wishful thinking to help bring this current infection scare under better control. From the Wall Street Journal page 6 - Thur Oct 28, 2021:

(1) a short course of an antidepressant fluvoxamine, trade name *****; and (2) a Merck "covid-pill" being licensed for low and moderate income countries.  

Both these therapeutics are reported to offer results similar to the current injections - significantly reducing numbers requiring post-infection hospitalizations, including reduction in persistent post-infection symptom reports. 

*Offered for news value only; no endorsement intended for their use. Just keeping the future of cruising open to all emerging infection control options, as reported in relatively credible media resources. Disclosure - WSJ of course is interested in the business side of these potential therapeutic options.

Further to this,  while I’m glad therapeutics are being developed, the results still pale compared to vaccine efficacy.   From AP news.

In the group that took the drug, 11% needed hospitalization or an extended ER stay, compared to 16% of those on dummy pills.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

Yes Dan I agree with your wishful thinking on tests and masks.

While Hank and others have made compelling cases of why they cruise within these parameters here is why I am not willing at present.

We live in New Jersey and are fully vaccinated.

There are no mask requirements here.

We dine out a couple times weekly, very few patrons or even servers are masked.

We stay in hotels and otherwise live largely as in the past.

Unless we are ill or exposed to COVID there is no pressure or requirements to be tested.

So to go about our daily lives in the manner described then face all the rules and restrictions to take a cruise makes it not worth it at this time. And I don’t say this lightly after more than 60 cruises. Whereas if we did have these rules impacting our everyday lives we might be more inclined to accept them on a cruise.

I hope everyone can see my point, not necessarily agree with it,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

" Golden Age of Cruising" ??  If HAL, and all main lines, have to sail at 50%  or even 75% capacity, for an extended period,  the cost of cruises will have to be much higher!  And I don't see a luxury priced market for them.   So,  protocols/restrictions for travel  will have to change in the next few months.  (ie, masking in my area of N. Carolina is again optional)   People will have to work with deal with endemic risk as per Norolvirus on ships.   I do hope that HAL can survive long enough?   

• Like 1

For those who have been cruising recently, like HLitner and others, do you have to wear masks at all times other than when dining? I can not imagine social distancing in the Ocean Lounge on HAL, or in a bar on Seabourn...cruising is when we meet nice folks, strike up a conversation, and then perhaps go to dinner with them. Is there still room for spontaneity?  In other words, how has covid impacted the onboard "atmosphere"?

Thanks for your insights. My wife and I are booked on a cruise in October '22, and we hope things are more predictable then (even if that means getting used to an endemic situation).  

29 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

For those who have been cruising recently, like HLitner and others, do you have to wear masks at all times other than when dining? I can not imagine social distancing in the Ocean Lounge on HAL, or in a bar on Seabourn...cruising is when we meet nice folks, strike up a conversation, and then perhaps go to dinner with them. Is there still room for spontaneity?  In other words, how has covid impacted the onboard "atmosphere"?

Thanks for your insights. My wife and I are booked on a cruise in October '22, and we hope things are more predictable then (even if that means getting used to an endemic situation).  

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam in August and I will be on Koningsdam in 2 weeks. On Nieuw Amsterdam pretty much everyone wore masks when walking about the ship. I think they are not technically required in hallways but they are required in the restaurant, elevators, lounges, etc except when eating or drinking. BB Kings most people did not wear it at night as they were drinking and dancing. Lido everyone wore it walking around and no one wore it at their tables. It really did not impact the ability to interact with others. For the most part people were very happy to be there, friendly and interactive and respectful of wearing masks indoors. We had many great conversations with others in the elevator and in the lounge through the masks or without them when eating and drinking. You could still sit with other parties in the dining room. It absolutely did not diminish our experience one ounce (but living in WA we are also very used to the masks when going anywhere so I imagine others feel differently). 

• Like 1