Do you carry your passport off the ship?

My son lost his cruise card in Barcelona. In order to be allowed back inside the cruise terminal, I had to show his passport at the entrance. Otherwise we would’ve not been allowed to proceed further. Thankfully I had it in my possession.

I asked the security officer upon getting back on the ship if he recommended leaving the passport onboard and he said no. ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry your passport with you. It does you no good to have a passport locked in a safe if something happens while you’re ashore. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Never, EVER do I take our passports off the ship, they are in the safe.  We have a copy on our phones and also take a paper copy.  Have been on 128 cruises and never have had any issues doing it that way.  

Have you ever needed the passport off the ship?  And if so, did the copy on your phone suffice?

2 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

On prior cruises we only carry a copy of our passport off the ship and keep original in the safe. What do you do?  We’re worried when we go to beaches and want to swim that our Passports could get stolen. We are going on western Caribbean cruise to Mexico. Thank you

Only on disembarkation day. Otherwise it stays in the safe.

We have twice cruised out of Galveston and being from UK our passports were taken from us on checking in and we had to go to guest services the last night to get them back. We did copy the photo page and had our driving licences, not sure what would have happened if we had a problem in one of the ports.

5 minutes ago, nelly55 said:

We have twice cruised out of Galveston and being from UK our passports were taken from us on checking in and we had to go to guest services the last night to get them back. We did copy the photo page and had our driving licences, not sure what would have happened if we had a problem in one of the ports.

Wow! I had no idea Royal would do that.  That would make me very uncomfortable.  Any idea if they do this for all international passengers?  That would seem to be a huge headache keeping track of on Royal's part.

As for the OP's question: we always take our passports with us.  If, god forbid, anything were to happen, we'd have proof of citizenship and identification that is accepted worldwide (unlike our state-issued DL).

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. Really no justifiable reason for the difference.

Same here - I guess it just depends on where we are and whether or not we want to carry in our backpack or not.     I always have my DL and a copy of the passport in my wallet in small backpack I use off ship.      

4 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

On prior cruises we only carry a copy of our passport off the ship and keep original in the safe. What do you do?  We’re worried when we go to beaches and want to swim that our Passports could get stolen. We are going on western Caribbean cruise to Mexico. Thank you

We do the same ... never take the original!   

1 hour ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Wow! I had no idea Royal would do that.  That would make me very uncomfortable.  Any idea if they do this for all international passengers?  That would seem to be a huge headache keeping track of on Royal's part.

As for the OP's question: we always take our passports with us.  If, god forbid, anything were to happen, we'd have proof of citizenship and identification that is accepted worldwide (unlike our state-issued DL).

Carnival does the same with passport collection. 

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you can safely carry a wallet or cash or a credit card or camera etc., etc., etc., you should be able to safely carry a passport.

Very true! Having said that, we only take them ashore if we’re required to do so. Usually have our D/Ls with us though.

The only time that we took our passport off the ship was on instructions from RCL when we got off in Croatia, right after their war.

The US passport is very valuable and thieves are always on the look out.  Also, in major ports when disembarking they use face recognition technology and passports are not looked at.  My experience was in Bayonne, Miami and Fort Lauderdale ports.

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm not really sure what the fear is, not to carry it

Speaking only for myself, the fear is losing it. I’ve lost tons of stuff in my life. Never missed a ship. Even if I had too much to drink at Sr Frogs, I feel forgetting something is more likely than forgetting to leave. 

Side note  - I need to add “drink at Sr Frogs” to my next cruise’s itinerary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

We keep our passports in safe. Only bring to shore cruise card, credit card and license.