Confused about prepaid gratuities

Guppy99

I booked my holiday (2022) cruise out of Miami with my TA.  

I am receiving $600 onboard credit from Oceania (instead of 6 excursions or beverage package).

From my TA I had a choice $300 OBC OR $600 refund after the cruise is over.

I asked if I couple swap either the O amenities or the TA amenity with prepaid gratuities and was told no. I was told that prepaid gratuities is only an option on selected cruises.

Does this sound right?

My first booking with Oceania

52 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I booked my holiday (2022) cruise out of Miami with my TA.  

I am receiving $600 onboard credit from Oceania (instead of 6 excursions or beverage package).

From my TA I had a choice $300 OBC OR $600 refund after the cruise is over.

I asked if I couple swap either the O amenities or the TA amenity with prepaid gratuities and was told no. I was told that prepaid gratuities is only an option on selected cruises.

Does this sound right?

My first booking with Oceania

All money sources are “green” when it comes to paying gratuities. You can use that TA provided SBC to pay for anything onboard when you settle your onboard bill. It will appear as a credit on your account. Same goes for the O Life SBC perk. You can pay for gratuities with it.

But why do that? Do a search here on CC regarding best O Life strategies and the bulk of posts (including all of my very detailed ones) will point out that there’s no real value with that perk since the amount of it is is exactly the difference of O Life w/o air and “cruise only” pricing. Instead, take the tours perk which, with the right choices of allowable tours, can double the perk value OR take the basic booze and up it to “Prestige” for $20/person/day.

Where you’ve made a bit of a boo boo is asking about “pre-paid” gratuities. Those awards are limited but it doesn’t matter. Either that notation or other SBC will appear as a credit on your final Bill.

BTW, what you may want to look for from a TA is a rebate valued at 5-10% of the commissionable fare. And, for certain itineraries, the TA or his/her consortium  membership may be able to ADD the prepaid gratuities coverage (no cost to the TA). You’ll see these listed as “OCAPP prepaid gratuities” on the O invoice.

FWIW, any O savvy TA, knows the above and should explain it to you if you ask. 

Finally, when you first start wit O, the policies can be confusing. But, it will all eventually make sense by the time you start getting included gratuities and ever-increasing O Club SBC and eventually that comp 2 week cruise anywhere O goes.

In the meantime, however, do some research and find a TA who is a member of O’s Connoisseurs Club or, better still, is an O “preferred partner.” 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

All money sources are “green” when it comes to paying gratuities. You can use that TA provided SBC to pay for anything onboard when you settle your onboard bill. It will appear as a credit on your account. Same goes for the O Life SBC perk. You can pay for gratuities with it.

But why do that? Do a search here on CC regarding best O Life strategies and the bulk of posts (including all of my very detailed ones) will point out that there’s no real value with that perk since the amount of it is is exactly the difference of O Life w/o air and “cruise only” pricing. Instead, take the tours perk which, with the right choices of allowable tours, can double the perk value OR take the basic booze and up it to “Prestige” for $20/person/day.

Where you’ve made a bit of a boo boo is asking about “pre-paid” gratuities. Those awards are limited but it doesn’t matter. Either that notation or other SBC will appear as a credit on your final Bill.

BTW, what you may want to look for from a TA is a rebate valued at 5-10% of the commissionable fare. And, for certain itineraries, the TA or his/her consortium  membership may be able to ADD the prepaid gratuities coverage (no cost to the TA). You’ll see these listed as “OCAPP prepaid gratuities” on the O invoice.

FWIW, any O savvy TA, knows the above and should explain it to you if you ask. 

Finally, when you first start wit O, the policies can be confusing. But, it will all eventually make sense by the time you start getting included gratuities and ever-increasing O Club SBC and eventually that comp 2 week cruise anywhere O goes.

In the meantime, however, do some research and find a TA who is a member of O’s Connoisseurs Club or, better still, is an O “preferred partner.” 

Thank you for the detailed response.  think I've got it 🙂

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Thank you for the detailed response.  think I've got it 🙂

You’re welcome.

one other thing about O Life: if you take the O life tours option, your allotted number of allowable tours will be counted toward the minimum required (on your itinerary) for the YWYW 25% discount on any tours for which you actually buy extra.

I tend to disagree with Flatbush flyer about taking the olife shipboard credit as being a "boo boo". I chose this option as none of the included excursions were ones I wanted. I chose 6 which came to 1844 book price ( non being below 199. mark), and received the 25% discount and applied my credit so those exact same excursions which were now 980. Yes 400 of that was actually my money for olife, but I was going to spend it anyway so as he said green is green. Im not a big drinker and I'll bring my own wine and pay corkage so drink package for me was not a good value. Hope this makes sense and any way I figured it there was not a huge advantage either way. Hope to see some of you onboard. Sam

1 minute ago, samiam99 said:

I tend to disagree with Flatbush flyer about taking the olife shipboard credit as being a "boo boo". I chose this option as none of the included excursions were ones I wanted. I chose 6 which came to 1844 book price ( non being below 199. mark), and received the 25% discount and applied my credit so those exact same excursions which were now 980. Yes 400 of that was actually my money for olife, but I was going to spend it anyway so as he said green is green. Im not a big drinker and I'll bring my own wine and pay corkage so drink package for me was not a good value. Hope this makes sense and any way I figured it there was not a huge advantage either way. Hope to see some of you onboard. Sam

I “sort of” congratulate you for finding the “sort of” exception to the “pick the excursions O LIfe option.” 
You are correct that IF none of the allowable O Life tours appeal to you, you can still get the YWYW 25% discount if you buy the minimum tours required for your itinerary.

However, the reason I say “sort of” is because taking the “O Life SBC option w/o air” is exactly the same as the “cruise only price” to which you add the value of the SBC.

It’s a “wash.”

If there is any usefulness to paying the up front cost for the O Life SBC, it would be like a “forced savings account” assuring the money will be in your account for onboard spending.

BTW, though I only know for sure that I don’t ever see myself using O’s air department (since even they will tell you not to buy bizclass tix from them),  it’s been my understanding that even if you select the “cruise only” price, you can still purchase O’s air as an add-on.

So, will someone (anyone) please tell us all why ever (other than prepaying some/all of your onboard spending) would someone take the  “O Life” SBC option???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I “sort of” congratulate you for finding the “sort of” exception to the “pick the excursions O LIfe option.” 
You are correct that IF none of the allowable O Life tours appeal to you, you can still get the YWYW 25% discount if you buy the minimum tours required for your itinerary.

However, the reason I say “sort of” is because taking the “O Life SBC option w/o air” is exactly the same as the “cruise only price” to which you add the value of the SBC.

It’s a “wash.”

If there is any usefulness to paying the up front cost for the O Life SBC, it would be like a “forced savings account” assuring the money will be in your account for onboard spending.

BTW, though I only know for sure that I don’t ever see myself using O’s air department (since even they will tell you not to buy bizclass tix from them),  it’s been my understanding that even if you select the “cruise only” price, you can still purchase O’s air as an add-on.

So, will someone (anyone) please tell us all why ever (other than prepaying some/all of your onboard spending) would someone take the  “O Life” SBC option???

I chose the SBC. This is why:

There are no excursions we are really interested in. Maybe one or two and we'd rather plan them at will and not in advance. We are very happy to stay on board in many ports. We are not drinkers. Maybe one or two drinks a day. 

The only thing I would have chosen is pre-paid gratuities. So, now I can apply any SBC I don't spend toward that.

My TA added on a $600 cash refund at the trips's conclusion., so the gratuities will be taken care of for the most part.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

I chose the SBC. This is why:

There are no excursions we are really interested in. Maybe one or two and we'd rather plan them at will and not in advance. We are very happy to stay on board in many ports. We are not drinkers. Maybe one or two drinks a day. 

The only thing I would have chosen is pre-paid gratuities. So, now I can apply any SBC I don't spend toward that.

My TA added on a $600 cash refund at the trips's conclusion., so the gratuities will be taken care of for the most part.

You really need to do the math.

Try a mock booking.

Step 1: pick a specific cruise and cabin level

Step 2: note the O Life SBC perk $ amount offered (and divide that by 2 to get the per person amount).

Step 3: write down the “cruise only” price.

Step 4: Note the corresponding O Life price (and write it down)

Step 5: Select the O Life price and move to the next web page.

Step 6: Check “No” for the air offer.

Step 7: Move to the next page and write down the new (w/o air) O Life price.

Step 8: Subtract the per person O Life SBC amount from that price.

Step 9: Compare that answer to the “cruise only” price.

Step 10: BINGO - same exact $$$ amount.

So, whether you select OLife w/o air & w/SBC or select Cruise Only and set aside the cash (for use on the ship) you’d have had to pay to get that SBC, the bottom line “out of pocket” cost to you is exactly the same.

• Like 1

People should do the math then do what works best for them

There is no right or wrong  it is  a personal choice

Sometimes taking the O Life perk works sometimes it does not

If we take O air  especially overseas  we will take the OBC 

We do not drink much  we do not take ship's tours  we get PPG 

We do not have FF miles  so the O airfare will work for us in some cases

Many times we just take the "Cruise only" fare ..depends on the destination & what works for our needs

JMO

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You really need to do the math.

Try a mock booking.

Step 1: pick a specific cruise and cabin level

Step 2: note the O Life SBC perk $ amount offered (and divide that by 2 to get the per person amount).

Step 3: write down the “cruise only” price.

Step 4: Note the corresponding O Life price (and write it down)

Step 5: Select the O Life price and move to the next web page.

Step 6: Check “No” for the air offer.

Step 7: Move to the next page and write down the new (w/o air) O Life price.

Step 8: Subtract the per person O Life SBC amount from that price.

Step 9: Compare that answer to the “cruise only” price.

Step 10: BINGO - same exact $$$ amount.

So, whether you select OLife w/o air & w/SBC or select Cruise Only and set aside the cash (for use on the ship) you’d have had to pay to get that SBC, the bottom line “out of pocket” cost to you is exactly the same.

But this is so much easier. I'm very happy. I don't feel the need to make a  detailed financial analysis in order to save a little here and there or work "the system" as some folks do.  My time is pretty valuable in terms of billable hours and it simply isn't worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

But this is so much easier. I'm very happy. I don't feel the need to make a  detailed financial analysis in order to save a little here and there or work "the system" as some folks do.  My time is pretty valuable in terms of billable hours and it simply isn't worth it.

Which is what I said above:

(other than prepaying some/all of your onboard spending).”

You’d be amazed at how many folks actually think their saving money (rather than just the convenience you are seeking) by selecting the O Life SBC.

1 minute ago, Jockocruiser said:

But only ONE OLife option is a Shipboard Credit (SBC)

ShoreEx and the drink packages have a multiplier in the value that is typically greater than the SBC value.

Reread my posts. I was only questioning the SBC option, which, like the air credit, is something you actually pay for.

We as Canadians usually take the O life as airfare from Vancouver & bought in Canada is very expensive. More so than the US and we do not have enough points. As we are platinum club members (21 O cruises) our gratuities are free.

Then  we either take the tours or the credit, depending on cruise destination. Drink packages are not useful as we prefer to buy as we go and can use credit for that as well.

Once or twice we were lucky with O as an exception all 3 amenities were  included as encouragement to go on a South American cruise.

14 minutes ago, cswhistler said:

We as Canadians usually take the O life as airfare from Vancouver & bought in Canada is very expensive. More so than the US and we do not have enough points. As we are platinum club members (21 O cruises) our gratuities are free.

Then  we either take the tours or the credit, depending on cruise destination. Drink packages are not useful as we prefer to buy as we go and can use credit for that as well.

Once or twice we were lucky with O as an exception all 3 amenities were  included as encouragement to go on a South American cruise.

For folks new to O, the “triple play” (all three perks) cswhistler refers to called “Ultimate O Life” and it is a very rare offering in the US.

As for O air, of course it works for some folks.

But do be careful about using O Air for bizclass. The quotes you’ll be given DO NOT include credit for the economy ticket you’ve already purchased with your O Life fare. In essence then, you end up buying two tix per person, the sum total of which is generally more than you’d spend with DIY and a basic knowledge of researching air fares.

49 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Reread my posts. I was only questioning the SBC option, which, like the air credit, is something you actually pay for.

Flatbush,

I should have quoted one of the other posts, not posted right after yours.

I know you know the difference! And I do too, as I learned from YOU!

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s a “wash.”

I agree with your entire post.

Why take the O Life OBC when you get no advantage from it?

$400 = $400

By taking the OBC you are obligating yourself to spending it as it is non refundable in case something should change once you are onboard

• Like 2

Flat bush flyer is correct in that you receive as a credit exactly what you pay for the sbc, so why give them the (in this case 400.00 per person ) money interest free for some months. But in my case I am pre-selecting my excursions and have to pay for them anyway at booking, so the 400 is coming out of my pocket either way. I usually book olife with air and as I procure my own flights I cancel that and get a revised invoice, and if I don't need the credits for privee dining or excursions I cancel that as well. No harm no foul. Anyway I usually try to pay as much up front as possible. Good discussion guys

20 hours ago, samiam99 said:

Flat bush flyer is correct in that you receive as a credit exactly what you pay for the sbc, so why give them the (in this case 400.00 per person ) money interest free for some months. But in my case I am pre-selecting my excursions and have to pay for them anyway at booking, so the 400 is coming out of my pocket either way. I usually book olife with air and as I procure my own flights I cancel that and get a revised invoice, and if I don't need the credits for privee dining or excursions I cancel that as well. No harm no foul. Anyway I usually try to pay as much up front as possible. Good discussion guys

Does Oceania allow you to just purchase SBC in advance?  If yes, is it refundable?  

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Does Oceania allow you to just purchase SBC in advance?  If yes, is it refundable?  

One’s TA, family, or who ever can prepurchase a passenger refundable OBC. Makes little sense to do it for oneself. Just pay the bill at the end of the cruise.

I know of several people however that prefer to have OBC upfront. They like having things already prepaid so to not be sitting at the table debating over the $90 bottle of wine or the $120 bottle. If already prepaid, they choose on what they want, not what they want to pay at that very moment. They prefer to keep it in vacation mode. No right or wrong answer here. People have different preferences for different reasons.

Just now, pinotlover said:

One’s TA, family, or who ever can prepurchase a passenger refundable OBC. Makes little sense to do it for oneself. Just pay the bill at the end of the cruise.

I know of several people however that prefer to have OBC upfront. They like having things already prepaid so to not be sitting at the table debating over the $90 bottle of wine or the $120 bottle. If already prepaid, they choose on what they want, not what they want to pay at that very moment. They prefer to keep it in vacation mode. No right or wrong answer here. People have different preferences for different reasons.

Thanks.  I was just trying to understand why a person would pick O’Life if they were going to choice SBC as the option.  If you are going to spend $400 more to get $400 non refundable SBC, then I would think it would be better to not select O’Life and just gift yourself some refundable SBC. (Because it you do not spend it, you do not lose it.)