RCCL Explorer cruises into Covid zones. Ridiculous rules. Spoiler Alert!

16 hours ago, drusierdmd said:

I'm booked for the 21st explorer.  If it wasn't for the rate (about 2k for 2 adults and one child 6yo in a balcony with prepaid tips) I would cancel.  I was actually looking forward to the freedom amplified upgrades.  I was prepared for the possibility of RCI excursions only and booked all a few weeks ago.  I was disappointed to see no maho beach with "kids" aka unvaxxed...but every other beach is okay apparently.  I probably spent more on excursions than the fare.  

That said....tell me if I've got this right: 

-Adults will need antigen telehealth tests 48h prior. 

-6yo will need in person antigen 48hr prior AND will be tested for free at the port during embarkation. 

-Towards the end of the cruise all 3 of us will receive rapids before we disembark.  

I'm fully vaxxed and just got my Moderna booster today.  

You will only get a Covid test before you disembark if, you are traveling home to a place that requires it. Since PR. is in the USA you will not get one. Now if you live outside of the USA (Ex. Canada), your family will be tested before you leave and you will be given the proper paperwork that you will need to travel back home. The cost will be covered by RCCL.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:22 AM, smokeybandit said:

Rules are no different there than they have been the last month plus.

Blame the CDC for holding the cruise lines hostage for another couple months

I don't think the CDC has any control over what's being done in Barbados, St. Kitts and St. Lucia.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

Update as of Oct 27.  RC says no cash refund on this cruise, only FCC.  The link that has been quoted regarding cash refund is a Blog, not an official RCCL page and post about cash refund not accurate, per RCCL.

As usual, you need to call back as the Blog didn't just invent that policy, it came from RCI.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Many have reported being able to get refunds under the generic “not happy with the protocols “ clause of their policy. 

Not according to what my travel agent was told by RCCL!  For this cruise only future cruise credits.😢

6 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

Update as of Oct 27.  RC says no cash refund on this cruise, only FCC.  The link that has been quoted regarding cash refund is a Blog, not an official RCCL page and post about cash refund not accurate, per RCCL.

If it's the same blog, it refers to a webinar by Aurora Yera-Rodriguez, AVP Guest Experience making the statement "That if you can't abide by the announced protocols, a refund will be issued even if FCCs were used in the reservation".

27 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

Not according to what my travel agent was told by RCCL!  For this cruise only future cruise credits.😢

31 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

Did you get FCC or cash back?

I will say it again.  I got 100% refund YESTERDAY on my November 14 sailing out of San Juan on Explorer of the Seas. 
This IS a refundable reason. You continue to discourage others that It is FCC only. That is simply not the case, as you have been told already multiple times that people are being REFUNDED.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nelblu said:

If it's the same blog, it refers to a webinar by Aurora Yera-Rodriguez, AVP Guest Experience making the statement "That if you can't abide by the announced protocols, a refund will be issued even if FCCs were used in the reservation".

Rules changed…her comments were in July.

10 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

I will say it again.  I got 100% refund YESTERDAY on my November 14 sailing out of San Juan on Explorer of the Seas. 
This IS a refundable reason. You continue to discourage others that It is FCC only. That is simply not the case, as you have been told already multiple times that people are being REFUNDED.  

This was an online travel service booking. It was Royal Caribbean who told me I can get a refund when I called about info on the lack and quality of excursions. 

D278ECD3-AF43-4C8C-91C7-745A30FF2A6E.jpeg

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

Your TA needs to advocate for you. The refund option referenced is from back in July. Folks are still reporting being able to get refunded, but are being told it is an act of goodwill because it isn't in written policy that you can get anything other than FCC.

The refunds mentioned back in July were particularly targeting the folks who had no intentions of getting vaccinated and thus the FCCs would be of no use to them AND they had booked the cruises prior to the vaccination requirements.  If I was requesting a refund I would pay specific attention to this when advocating for a refund.

1 hour ago, mauicruiser said:

I completely agree about the link to the blog, but @Chauncey Picklepants told you above that he DID get a full refund.  More phone calls are needed if you want to get your refund.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

You have a really bad travel agent.  I would show them a link to this thread and have them get you on a 3 way conference call with RCI.  You can tell RCI directly that you don't accept the just announced protocols and they will offer you a refund.  If your TA won't do that, then they are trying to hide something.  

Remember, we are just trying to help you!🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, mauicruiser said:

I talked with them as well as my travel agent.  No refund only future cruise credit.

booked this cruise six months ago.

If you booked this six months ago, then that was before the vaccine requirements, so you have even more leverage.  I'm not saying that this applies to you, but if a person is anti-vax, they would have to get a refund because they would never be able to cruise.  Until the just announced November COVID protocols, it was never confirmed that adults would still need to be vaccinated.  And this is in addition to the port restrictions.  If you disagree with the protocols, I don't see how RCI could legally keep your money.  

39 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I completely agree about the link to the blog, but @Chauncey Picklepants told you above that he DID get a full refund.  More phone calls are needed if you want to get your refund.

I made one call.  There was no question.  And let me just say, I agree, I am trying to help! We are absolutely heartbroken we had to cancel. We’ve been having family meetings for a year talking about it over Sunday dinner with the kids. They’re hard to round up these days but this cruise was our lifeline and dream as a family to get another family vacation under our belts, make some memories.  My wife’s health issues do not stop her, but reality says they will limit us sooner than later.  So for right now, we were living the dream and I could not accept less than is customary or adequate for our dream.  I made lemonade with the lemons we got handed a few days ago.  I had a plan in my back pocket, always do. 

I hope whoever Royals Up and gets our two aft junior suites on deck 7 has the absolute BEST time!  God will decide when we cruise again, he knows when the time is right!!!!!! I’ll be taking off now until next cruise needs planning.  What a great resource this is.  Didn’t even know it existed until a few months ago.  Peace and thank you all. 

• Like 5

On 10/26/2021 at 8:47 AM, Lou33 said:

This doesn't fall under CWC.  If somebody doesn't agree with the November San Juan COVID protocols, which were just announced yesterday, they can get a full refund.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/07/01/royal-caribbean-will-refund-your-future-cruise-credits-if-you-dont-new-health-protocols

This is an older link, but I think the policy is still valid.  

According to RC, only option is FCC.  I think if you are unvaccinated, you can get a refund.

30 minutes ago, mauicruiser said:

According to RC, only option is FCC.  I think if you are unvaccinated, you can get a refund.

Easy, then tell them that you are unvaccinated.

Did you speak directly with RCI?  Several people people here, including @Chauncey Picklepantswere vaccinated and got a refund.  So apparently FCC is "not" the only option.   

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, rockmom said:

I have a cruise out of San Pedro in February, so much closer to home (Oregon/Washington) than Florida is for us.  However, when looking at the excursions, there isn't a single one that will allow a child under 12 and we will have a 10 year old with us. This is a short, 3 day cruise with just the one stop in Ensenada over the President's Day weekend. 

We are booked on a 4 night aboard Navigator for the same time frame. We are also traveling with a child under 12. When I look at excursions for Ensenada, there are about 10 that are bookable. I wonder why mine shows excursions but yours doesn’t. 

6 hours ago, Tapi said:

We are booked on a 4 night aboard Navigator for the same time frame. We are also traveling with a child under 12. When I look at excursions for Ensenada, there are about 10 that are bookable. I wonder why mine shows excursions but yours doesn’t. 

Yes, I see all of them and most even show kids prices, but when you go to the restrictions tab and click view on ALL of them, you get the message that the minimum age is 12 years old.  

image.thumb.png.c14b1ccb54a39a6a60ca272c702ca5bd.png

min age.JPG

Edited by rockmom

59 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Yes, I see all of them and most even show kids prices, but when you go to the restrictions tab and click view on ALL of them, you get the message that the minimum age is 12 years old.  

image.thumb.png.c14b1ccb54a39a6a60ca272c702ca5bd.png

min age.JPG

Thank you so much for that. I’m wondering if Royal will eventually add “bubble” excursions for families traveling with unvaccinated children. As an alternative, I hope that between now and February, vaccination requirements for children will have changed which will take care of this issue. Once again, thank you! 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 2:02 PM, Chauncey Picklepants said:

I hope whoever Royals Up and gets our two aft junior suites on deck 7 has the absolute BEST time!

7392?  That one is still there.  Happy future cruises.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:11 PM, Heymarco said:

CDC guidelines for cruising become optional on Jan 15th. Royal will certainly loosen some restrictions but probably not until Jan 15th has passed.

Lots of things could change between now and 15th January

Either for the worst or for the better

You cant predict anything with any degree of certainty in the Covid world

Personally I expect more disruption to cruise holidays rather than less disruption in the next 6 months tbh

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Lou33 said:

If you booked this six months ago, then that was before the vaccine requirements, so you have even more leverage.  I'm not saying that this applies to you, but if a person is anti-vax, they would have to get a refund because they would never be able to cruise.  Until the just announced November COVID protocols, it was never confirmed that adults would still need to be vaccinated.  And this is in addition to the port restrictions.  If you disagree with the protocols, I don't see how RCI could legally keep your money.  

I have similar issues presently.  I have with 4 cabins that I have booked on Anthem Easter sail from FCCs issued form the cancelled Harmony '20 sail. Got 3 Granddaughters one in each cabin and they, including the parents, are afraid of the vaccine and it's effect..  Based on suggestion from the Oasis Loyalty Ambassador, I e-mailed Royal Guest Experience Unit to get help in any options/recommendations.

After 2.5 weeks, I received some nebulous response and a couple of sentences made me unease.

1.  All applied certificates will be held on the booking that they have been applied to and are not applicable to be transferred or refunded.

2.  Vaccination and testing requirements can vary by port of departure, along with the time that your cruise will sail.

Can someone or a TA on this board,  translate what this individual is saying especially with item 1.  Also, I'm under the impression that all sails from a US port, including Florida, RCL requires vaccines.

I responded with the following excerpts from as sent e-mail:

What does this statement actually mean.   I get the gut feeling from this ominous comment that it leaves us between a rock and a hard place and that my investment of $7,234  (excl. T&F & res. # 529547) is in jeopardy.

As a reminder, we were  ready to sail Harmony and Anthem respectively on Easter 2020 and 2021, RCL cancelled these sails.  We are ready to sail on April 17, 2022 on Anthem and it's RCL's vaccine requirements that will prevent us from sailing. The vaccine requirement(s) was not in the original booking contract language.  If known, would have requested a refund rather than the semi-useless FCCs.

Can you identify any U.S. port of departure where RCL does not require proof of vaccination for those aged 12+.  As mentioned in my original  e-mail, that I researched transferring bookings from Anthem to Symphony out of Florida as this State did not require vaccination.  Boy, was I disappointed when I found out from a cruise blog (CC) that RCL introduced the same H&S protocols in place, against the State of Florida Executive Order(s). 

I had placed a call to my TA regarding the possibility of transferring the bookings, but abandoned the exercise upon learning of the change .  Therefore, getting in touch with my Travel Advisor directly for assistance is completely fruitless.
Edited by nelblu

9 hours ago, Lou33 said:

7392?  That one is still there.  Happy future cruises.

No, we were two in the center of that row. I guess there are three available now or the cabins we held are not made available yet.  For months these cabins have been going for $4000+, but I see the price is back down to exactly what I paid. I assume the anticipation of free roaming without limitation of ship excursions fueled bookings and raised rates.  Reality hit and per the TA, cancellations are happening in abundance now. 
And taking a look at an all-inclusive rate on Norwegian in April with great ports, just Lady Picklepants and myself.  We shall see. One trip at a time! My wife got a kick out of that.  Chauncey Picklepants is my son’s dog’s name.  He and my daughter set up this account for us 😂

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants

At the end of the day the rules regarding restrictions for unvaxxed have been around for months. If you don't like the protocols DO NOT CRUISE. Simple as that. Royal has been giving refunds to people who get notified of their sailing requirements so this will be the avenue to pursue. People need to take personal responsibility for knowing as much as possible about their investments. I get a bit snippy about this thing as I see daily how little people bother researching or keeping up on things directly affecing their bottom line. Buying a house? LEARN THE BASICS OF THE DISCLOSURE. Buying a car? UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF FINANCE/LEASING/INTEREST. Going on a cruise? Constantly check on protocols, I did this even before the pandemic! Yes, people outlay a lot of money. I just got back from the Oasis in early October. Had it booked for 2 years, $5k total invested between airfare, cruise, etc. I checked as often as I could on requirements, statuses of ships, airlines. I checked my passports EVERY WEEK! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem. Am I a bit neurotic? Sure, but for every person like me there appears to be 10 who don't even bother. 

Those arguing that this was not in the cruise contract to "require" vaccinations or any other of these testing requirements don't bother really knowing their cruise contract (which goes up to my previous point). It does, and always has, state that the terms of the contract can change pretty much on a whim and there isn't much you can do about it. Used to happen all the time with ports (no guarantee of a port, but you'd be hard pressed to NOT find a million posts complaining about "contracts" and "full cruise refunds" for port changes). 

I also believe calling under 12 "ostracized" is a bit overdramatic. Sure, for adults, it sucks if unvaxxed but there is a solution to that. We had an incredible cruise experience (with a 6yr old unvaxxed) and are really hoping to get another in fairly soon if we can swing the time off. My 6 yr old daughter had no issues with "distancing" in the kids club, or wearing masks. Those issues usually stem from the parents, not the kids. She asks every day to go back on a cruise and asks "will they have a kids club"? 

Yes, a bit harsh but the rules now seem pretty consistent regarding the requirements to sail. And personally, I WON'T cruise if they remove the vaccine mandate in the next 12 months. I am sure I am among a larger majority who think the same thing and cruise lines have an ever growing base of vaccinated cruisers to draw from(based on vaccination rates now approaching 80% first dose of 12+ in the US AND the US allowing international, vaccinated passengers once again) . Added bonus is that likely our youngest will be vaccinated by the time we go again, so the experience may be even better!

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 2