Cozumel Changes

I have 2 cruises booked on RC in Nov 2021 and Feb 2022 out of Tampa with Cozumel being the only port of call. We love Cozumel and were looking forward to our 17th and 18th visits to Panchos Backyard.  Both ports have been changed to Costa Maya due to “itinerary planning”.  Is there something going on with Cozumel???!!!

It's fallout from labadee, grand cayman,  and other ports being closed still. These ships going to those probably don't have the time to go any further south than Cozumel. Those of us just heading out of Tampa are the closest and an extra 100+ miles is easy for us to reach with our sea days. 

• Like 2

Looking at our March Oasis cruise (Western Caribbean) - the cruisedig.com site shows SEVEN ships at Cozumel on March 9th.   We haven't been there in years.  Is there just one port?  I know itineraries can change (particularly as this is over 4 months off) - but this is the list shown on that day with their arrival times. The ship's capacity is in parenthesis. 

AIDAdiva (2500) – 6:00am

Mein Schiff 1 (2894) – 6:30am

Carnival Paradise (2668) – 7:00am

Celebrity Apex (3373) – 7:00am

Oasis of the Seas (6563) – 7:00am

Carnival Valor (3581) – 8:00am

Odyssey of the Seas (4819) – 10:30am

14 minutes ago, moonltnite said:

Looking at our March Oasis cruise (Western Caribbean) - the cruisedig.com site shows SEVEN ships at Cozumel on March 9th.   We haven't been there in years.  Is there just one port?  I know itineraries can change (particularly as this is over 4 months off) - but this is the list shown on that day with their arrival times. The ship's capacity is in parenthesis. 

AIDAdiva (2500) – 6:00am

Mein Schiff 1 (2894) – 6:30am

Carnival Paradise (2668) – 7:00am

Celebrity Apex (3373) – 7:00am

Oasis of the Seas (6563) – 7:00am

Carnival Valor (3581) – 8:00am

Odyssey of the Seas (4819) – 10:30am

Last I heard, we're in Cozumel with 8 other ships, but I don't have a lot of faith in the port schedules with so many changes.  I know of a couple of errors for Coco Cay on the schedules I've seen (two different sites).  Of course, Cozumel has three piers, but I've never seen more than two ships at each and we've been to Cozumel at least 5 times.

• Like 1

This is turning into a Pancho's Backyard thread.  6 times for me and looking to make it 7 in February.  I've only been to Costa Maya once and the weather wasn't great so we just hung out at the port area.  It was very nice so looking forward to exploring more in the future.  But I could eat at Pancho's every week.  We love that place.

We always go to Pancho's too, but this trip we won't.  We've been to the downtown location once.  The other times we walked to the Carnival pier.  But, this time, I'm dealing with a knee that is stubbornly taking time to recover from a two year old injury and the walk is just a little too far.  So, we'll probably just grab lunch and drinks at Margaritaville or Senor Frog's if the weather is decent.  

Edited by BND

A bunch of itineraries that were scheduled to go to ports that are not currently available (Grand Cayman, for example) have been reworked to go to Cozumel.  I never thought about it, but I suppose that some ships had to move around to make room.

1 hour ago, BND said:

We always go to Pancho's too, but this trip we won't.  We've been to the downtown location once.  The other times we walked to the Carnival pier.  But, this time, I'm dealing with a knee that is stubbornly taking time to recover from a two year old injury and the walk is just a little too far.  So, we'll probably just grab lunch and drinks at Margaritaville or Senor Frog's if the weather is decent.  

I always wondered about this.  Is it possible to get to the Pancho's location at the Carnival pier from where Royal docks?  I've always gone to the location in the Forum Shops downtown.  But it would be nice to sit at the pier and eat.

4 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

I always wondered about this.  Is it possible to get to the Pancho's location at the Carnival pier from where Royal docks?  I've always gone to the location in the Forum Shops downtown.  But it would be nice to sit at the pier and eat.

As long as there is a ship at the Carnival pier, then it's open and anyone can walk around the shops and restaurants.  We walk along the road on the sidewalk between the two piers.  The security checkpoint is at the pier itself so it doesn't prevent anyone from shopping.  We enjoy sitting there under the shade facing the water.  They always have musicians there too.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

We always love eating at La Choza when we go to Cozumel. Are we allowed to get off the ship in Cozumel freely without signing up for a ship sponsored tour?

We were allowed to last week.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

We always love eating at La Choza when we go to Cozumel. Are we allowed to get off the ship in Cozumel freely without signing up for a ship sponsored tour?

Its a good question. Even though I never tried myself, I doubt that it will be allowed. In my opinion its always better and safer to stay on board as in this case you won't get lost and you won't lose time searching for way to try it own... even though I heard that Cozumel is very good 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, Greenizz41 said:

I have 2 cruises booked on RC in Nov 2021 and Feb 2022 out of Tampa with Cozumel being the only port of call. We love Cozumel and were looking forward to our 17th and 18th visits to Panchos Backyard.  Both ports have been changed to Costa Maya due to “itinerary planning”.  Is there something going on with Cozumel???!!!

Thats not a good change for an itinerary with only one port stop.....ughhhhhhh