Air Canada Announces portable Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit - meets testing requirements for entry to Canada!

ehyup71

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Truth be told, with rules and policies changing so quickly, some of the cruise lines are having difficulty keeping up with their own changes.

At least the cruisers would have a leg to stand on if they followed the cruise line’s policies…rightly or wrongly.

• Haha 1

I wasn't really paying attention to this testing option as I was going to test in person.

Well now that I need to test on Christmas Day I will be using the antigen test.

But of course I'm worrying..

When you buy the test on the Switch website it costs $79. When you buy it on the Aeroplan store it's $49 plus 14000 points. 

I assume it's the same test and I just got a good deal right?

Also if that is the case if you have a lot of points you can save some money on the test.

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I wasn't really paying attention to this testing option as I was going to test in person.

Well now that I need to test on Christmas Day I will be using the antigen test.

But of course I'm worrying..

When you buy the test on the Switch website it costs $79. When you buy it on the Aeroplan store it's $49 plus 14000 points. 

I assume it's the same test and I just got a good deal right?

Also if that is the case if you have a lot of points you can save some money on the test.

My understanding of the cost is it is $79 for two the Rapid Antigen home tests for Aeroplan members (i.e. it comes in a two-pack and you earn 500 Aeroplan pts for the purchase).

Edited by kellk

1 hour ago, kellk said:

My understanding of the cost is it is $79 for two the Rapid Antigen home tests for Aeroplan members (i.e. it comes in a two-pack and you earn 500 Aeroplan pts for the purchase).

O.k so why did I pay $49 and earn aeroplan points?

Weird

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

O.k so why did I pay $49 and earn aeroplan points?

Weird

I think that is a good deal, and I see on the Aeroplan e-store that it is the same two-pack of tests, as long as you have the extra points to spare (it currently says 14, 100 pts, or 7, 100 pts plus $49).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kellk said:

I think that is a good deal, and I see on the Aeroplan e-store that it is the same two-pack of tests, as long as you have the extra points to spare (it currently says 14, 100 pts, or 7, 100 pts plus $49).  

I got the TD Aeroplan credit card in June so I could use the buddy pass, use points to buy things, and to make sure my points never expire.

I got 25000 extra points so I do have points to spare.

• Like 1

Beware the Switch Health RT-LAMP test.  Don't waste your money on it. Here's why:

I'm outside of Canada right now (and not in the US), preparing to fly back home in 2.5 days.  I brought a Switch Health RT-LAMP test with me to use.  The test has to be done using a mobile phone, and I attempted it this evening.  What could go wrong, right?

I couldn't get past script errors in the app to even get to the test. Whenever I clicked a confirmation button and pressed 'continue', the confirmation kept reversing itself, so I couldn't advance.

There's supposed to be 24/7 assistance, but I learned that it's not live -- I got a link to a supposedly live chat. When I clicked the link, Safari and Malwarebytes both warned  strongly against proceeding to the chat site. I clicked the link anyway, and got the following message:  "The requested URL was not found on this server."

When I get home, I'm going to file a dispute with the credit card company. 

And tomorrow morning, I'm gonna have to high-tail it to a PCR-testing clinic somewhere here. 

Caveat emptor.

Wow lots of km2 that sounds nasty.  Your experience is the most glaring reason I'm afraid of this whole computer/cell/tablet based apps.  Soon as one piece of that puzzle doesn't work you're toast.  I'm an IT guy and am usually comfortable using these things, but in this instance I would FAR RATHER have a face to face test and a piece of paper with my results.  Best of luck getting things straightened out and hope you have a safe, speedy run home. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Beware the Switch Health RT-LAMP test.  Don't waste your money on it. Here's why:

I'm outside of Canada right now (and not in the US), preparing to fly back home in 2.5 days.  I brought a Switch Health RT-LAMP test with me to use.  The test has to be done using a mobile phone, and I attempted it this evening.  What could go wrong, right?

I couldn't get past script errors in the app to even get to the test. Whenever I clicked a confirmation button and pressed 'continue', the confirmation kept reversing itself, so I couldn't advance.

There's supposed to be 24/7 assistance, but I learned that it's not live -- I got a link to a supposedly live chat. When I clicked the link, Safari and Malwarebytes both warned  strongly against proceeding to the chat site. I clicked the link anyway, and got the following message:  "The requested URL was not found on this server."

And tomorrow morning, I'm gonna have to high-tail it to a PCR-testing clinic somewhere here. 

Caveat emptor.

There are numerous reports of successful use. I hope you found a test site and that you can resolve the issues you encountered with the kit.

How unfortunate and very frustrating for you. I do hope you are able to find a test facility in short order.

I wonder if there was an issue when you downloaded the app. I like to try out a new app at home right away to make sure it's functioning. As soon as I downloaded the ArriveCAN app - and subsequent updates - I did a full practise session short of submitting the information, just to make sure it was working. I had another recent download that functioned perfectly until I reached a certain part and I couldn't progress from there. I deleted it and downloaded it again, with no subsequent issue. Gremlins!

• Like 1

Hi @Fouremco, there's no app, but there is a website that the QR code points to. I'd signed up on that website a couple of weeks ago, and a customer service function that is also web based.  Cannot advance in either.  And there's no dry run -- either one is doing the test, or they're not.

Sent Switch Health an email this morning, but got zero response so I drove 25 km to get tested at a clinic.  I'm covered now.

I started another thread with screenshots showing the glitches but someone appears to have requested its deletion.   A shame, because there was an ongoing conversation with @K_e_short  that got wiped out. I'm going to request that the CC mods reinstate it. 

Though others have since stated that they have used the test interface with no problem,  the glitches I've experienced are very real and it's currently unclear whether I'm alone in this mess or others are concurrently experiencing difficulties. I have a solid tech background, and I'm following all the steps.  It's not for lack of skill on my part that the test interface isn't working.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Hi @Fouremco, there's no app, but there is a website that the QR code points to. I'd signed up on that website a couple of weeks ago, and a customer service function that is also web based.  Cannot advance in either.  And there's no dry run -- either one is doing the test, or they're not.

Sent Switch Health an email this morning, but got zero response so I drove 25 km to get tested at a clinic.  I'm covered now.

I started another thread with screenshots showing the glitches but someone appears to have requested its deletion.   A shame, because there was an ongoing conversation with @K_e_short  that got wiped out. I'm going to request that the CC mods reinstate it. 

Though others have since stated that they have used the test interface with no problem,  the glitches I've experienced are very real and it's currently unclear whether I'm alone in this mess or others are concurrently experiencing difficulties. I have a solid tech background, and I'm following all the steps.  It's not for lack of skill on my part that the test interface isn't working.

Well, I could perhaps understand a wonky app, but if it's browser based, I'm really surprised. And even more thankful that you've taken the time to explain. Just as a matter of interest, did you try different browsers? I have a website that I visit regularly that simply never works on my MacBook Pro when running Safari, but operates without a hitch when I open it in Chrome. 

I was following the other thread, and have no clue why it would have been deleted. Maybe someone posted something objectionable after the last time I visited the thread.

Do let us know what Switch Health has to say when and if they reply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

With a browser interface not only can different browsers cause problems, but country, even site specific filtering can cause issues.

Yep.  But a website like Switch Health's is supposed to be robust enough to respond to different conditions -- especially because it's intended to be used outside of Canada before returning home.  Per Switch Health's instructions, I was using Safari on Apple iOS.  I even switched off/disabled my VPN and ad-blocking apps just in case they were causing a conflict. Neither the mobile web page nor the chat function loaded properly.  

13 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Yep.  But a website like Switch Health's is supposed to be robust enough to respond to different conditions -- especially because it's intended to be used outside of Canada before returning home.  Per Switch Health's instructions, I was using Safari on Apple iOS.  I even switched off/disabled my VPN and ad-blocking apps just in case they were causing a conflict. Neither the mobile web page nor the chat function loaded properly.  

Just to conclude yesterday's discussion, the privacy concern arose when my cursor passed over either of the two links in your post and their full urls were displayed at the bottom left of the screen. That's normal, but the particular site you use has the unfortunate practise of including your name in the photo file name. An easy fix going forward would be to download photos to your computer, if not already there, and change the file names to something harmless before uploading to CC.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:08 AM, lots-of-km2 said:

Caveat emptor.

I have heard stories when some people had to waited up 2 hours (not sure how true it is) for a representative to come online.  

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I have heard stories when some people had to waited up 2 hours (not sure how true it is) for a representative to come online.  

Didn't even make it that far along due to their mobile website glitches.  As for any reply to the email I sent Switch Health yesterday,  nothing. Silence. 

I’m staying away from these online testing. They may sound good however, on the other hand they could be trouble. I wish you all the best in contacting Switch Health. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's normal, but the particular site you use has the unfortunate practise of including your name in the photo file name. An easy fix going forward would be to download photos to your computer, if not already there, and change the file names to something harmless before uploading to CC.  

Thank you for this!  

As a matter of fact, I took the pics with my iPhone, emailed them to myself for opening on my Surface Pro, changed the file names, checked 'properties' for any metadata, and still you found something! Yikes.  Moreover, I was under the impression that CC strips any EXIF data from the images as they get posted.  I'm stumped, and feeling spooked.  Was 'outlook.com' in the url you saw, by any chance?  And if so, does that product do this to pics posted on any site, not just CC?

1 minute ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Thank you for this!  

As a matter of fact, I took the pics with my iPhone, emailed them to myself for opening on my Surface Pro, changed the file names, checked 'properties' for any metadata, and still you found something! Yikes.  Moreover, I was under the impression that CC strips any EXIF data from the images as they get posted.  I'm stumped, and feeling spooked.  Was 'outlook.com' in the url you saw, by any chance?  And if so, does that product do this to pics posted on any site, not just CC?

Yes, Outlook appears to be the source of your problems. I was able to recover the full url for the first link, replicated here with your name changed:

https://outlook.live.com/owa/MSA:YOUR.NAME@outlook.com/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentDownloadToken?redirect=%2fowa%2fMSA%3aYOUR.NAME%40outlook.com%2fservice.svc%2fs%2fGetAttachmentThumbnail%3fid%3dAQMkADAwATM0MDAAMS1mY2MANi0xMQA1ZC0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAPRYbMS06NXSpI3olS%2bY%2b%2bNBwCL1qDJ%2bSj8SbZ56lsiaV3bAAACAQwAAACL1qDJ%2bSj8SbZ56lsiaV3bAAS7Q%2fCWAAAAARIAEABPvMqGMo4fRaEzDsqRnWXt%26thumbnailType%3d2%26isc%3d1%26X-OWA-CANARY%3dt8lWGbwtuUaEuaw7faEtF4BfFaxYuNkY9dt8X5AX-6NERDaqXRQknACcb40OkH06tRe77V0TvWs.%26owa%3doutlook.live.com%26scriptVer%3d20211129004.14%26animation%3dtrue

I don't use Outlook, and I don't know how/why your name was included. I've not noticed this issue with other sites, but then again, I hadn't noticed it on CC until your post yesterday. Maybe CC and/or Outlook can help you get to the bottom of this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Didn't even make it that far along due to their mobile website glitches.  As for any reply to the email I sent Switch Health yesterday,  nothing. Silence. 

I emailed Switch Health a query asking about antigen test kit FDA approval several weeks ago. No response. Yet others have reported rapid responses. It would not surprise me if "difficult" emails were being ignored.