Validation Of Vaccine Record

Anton

I got some new screens on the Royal app today when looking at my previously completed check-in.  What was a green checked box for vaccine info is now a gray box with 'validation in progress'.  Obviously my first thought is they flagged my upload as fake, which it isn't.  What happened was I uploaded my original vaccine card when I checked in, and then this past Tuesday I got the booster shot.  The CVS pharmacy technician put the wrong info on my card and rather than cross it out and write it in again she made a new card for me with all three shots on it - so all three doses in the same handwriting and ink.  When I got home I uploaded the new card since I'd otherwise arrive at the pier with one card in their system and a different one in my hands. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 2.00.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 2.00.19 PM.png

• Like 2

I am curious to know how "precisely" RCCL "Validates" an individuals submitted Vaccination card information, especially if the information is not uploaded into any local city, county, state, federal or international database, where it can then be accessed by authorized entities for validation.  This could prove to be problematic down the road for folks (Anton's situation being a prime example), where individuals are updating their vaccination cards with booster information, or having their cards replicated/replaced for bona fide reasons.  There are also locales around the country/world which do not have organized registry's that track an individual's vaccination status.  The only "official record" a person would have is their CDC COVID vaccination card. How, precisely, would RCCL validate that as well.

Edited by Zingy2

Just checked my app and it shows Validation in Progress for both our vaccination records.  Interesting, as both of ours are the original vaccination cards.

We got our vaccines at different times, hers was earlier than mine due to she works in health care.  She got hers at the hospital she works at, and I got my vaccine at one of the mass vaccination sites in the area at the time.

7 minutes ago, Zingy2 said:

I am curious to know how "precisely" RCCL "Validates" an individuals submitted Vaccination card information, especially if the information is not uploaded into any local city, county, state, federal or international database, where it can then be accessed by authorized entities for validation.  This could prove to be problematic down the road for folks (Anton's situation being a prime example), where individuals are updating their vaccination cards with booster information, or having their cards replicated/replaced for bona fide reasons.

I've been sitting here all afternoon pondering those very questions.  Alabama does have a vaccine database but RCCL has no legal access to my records.  All I could come up with is they do have the lot numbers of the vaccines and which states used those lot numbers, and perhaps they are seeing if the dates of the shots were within the dates that each lot was available to use to weed out fraudulent cards where someone just put down a good lot number but with a bad date of injection.

I know I can't be the only person who had to get a new vaccine card, and yes it might look suspect if it's all in the same handwriting.  I'd think that even a semi-competent cheater would have different people enter each line of information to make it look good.  In my case it was "sorry, I messed up your card so I had to make a new one".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PEBBarney said:

Just checked my app and it shows Validation in Progress for both our vaccination records.  Interesting, as both of ours are the original vaccination cards.

We got our vaccines at different times, hers was earlier than mine due to she works in health care.  She got hers at the hospital she works at, and I got my vaccine at one of the mass vaccination sites in the area at the time.

Please don't be upset with me, but I was happy to read your post.  At least now I know I'm not the only one.  I cruise on Indy, hopefully, on November 12 so they better be quick with whatever validation they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Anton said:

Please don't be upset with me, but I was happy to read your post. 

Not a problem at all.  We cruise on the Oasis on Nov 28th.

My wife's vaccination card is handwritten and mine has stickers that show the date, manufacturer and batch.

CDC has the records and so should the provider who gave the shot(s).

DW was recently on a Carnival cruise. One of her friends had a card that something was wrong with (I don't recall what at the moment). They called CDC and verified that all was proper. 

7 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

There's definitely some centralization of records. My primary care doctor has all my vax info even though it was done at a pharmacy not associated with her practice. And it wasn't from me because I never gave them vial numbers. 

Same here.  I had my two doses at CVS in April.  When I went to my doctor in July he already knew about it.  His nurse queried the state database and had all of the vaccinations for me in my chart.

3 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

Does anyone know if the vaccination part of the check-in is only for those in the US?

The vaccine requirement only shows up in the app for me, not on the computer.  Which I think is interesting in itself.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

CDC has the records and so should the provider who gave the shot(s).

DW was recently on a Carnival cruise. One of her friends had a card that something was wrong with (I don't recall what at the moment). They called CDC and verified that all was proper. 

There is no national vaccine registry. Provider level and state level yes, but not federal.  Remember most states don't even require any formal ID to get a vaccine.

2 hours ago, Anton said:  The CVS pharmacy technician put the wrong info on my card and rather than cross it out and write it in again she made a new card for me with all three shots on it 

This happened to me too!! I was very nervous about a “new” card with the same handwriting for all three shots. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. 

I think Royal does some AI authorization and may flag random cards for a human review. They must have a way to verify vaccinations through state or federal data bases.

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There is no national vaccine registry. Provider level and state level yes, but not federal.  Remember most states don't even require any formal ID to get a vaccine.

The I heard wrong. I suppose they called someone else, then. 

30 minutes ago, twinmommy08 said:

This happened to me too!! I was very nervous about a “new” card with the same handwriting for all three shots. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. 

I think Royal does some AI authorization and may flag random cards for a human review. They must have a way to verify vaccinations through state or federal data bases.

How long did it take for your validation check to be approved?

2 hours ago, Anton said:

I've been sitting here all afternoon pondering those very questions.  Alabama does have a vaccine database but RCCL has no legal access to my records.  All I could come up with is they do have the lot numbers of the vaccines and which states used those lot numbers, and perhaps they are seeing if the dates of the shots were within the dates that each lot was available to use to weed out fraudulent cards where someone just put down a good lot number but with a bad date of injection.

I know I can't be the only person who had to get a new vaccine card, and yes it might look suspect if it's all in the same handwriting.  I'd think that even a semi-competent cheater would have different people enter each line of information to make it look good.  In my case it was "sorry, I messed up your card so I had to make a new one".

No you’re not.  DH and I just got new cards when w3 got the booster as well (our were all jacked up).  Now the names are correct, but look like yours all the same handwriting and ink.  I even teased the pharmacist and said please use different pens.   But he ignored me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, denamo said:

I previously took a picture of our vaccination cards.  In the app, it's once again asking to take a picture.  Online, there is no place to submit a picture.  Wonder if I should submit a new picture?

If you have a green check for vaccine proof I’d leave it alone.  I’ve uploaded the card photos before on recent cruises and when I looked again the spots for the card images were empty. When I got to the pier they didn’t say anything and my original photo was apparently in the system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anton said:

I got some new screens on the Royal app today when looking at my previously completed check-in.  What was a green checked box for vaccine info is now a gray box with 'validation in progress'.  Obviously my first thought is they flagged my upload as fake, which it isn't.  What happened was I uploaded my original vaccine card when I checked in, and then this past Tuesday I got the booster shot.  The CVS pharmacy technician put the wrong info on my card and rather than cross it out and write it in again she made a new card for me with all three shots on it - so all three doses in the same handwriting and ink.  When I got home I uploaded the new card since I'd otherwise arrive at the pier with one card in their system and a different one in my hands. 

Why would you upload your new card that (1) you know looks suspicious and (2) for a date check does not pass the 2-week post-shot requirement? You are Fully Vaccinated after 2 shots. No one needs to disclose their booster status.... at least for now. 

• Like 1

I just noticed the name thing regarding the validation of the vaccine.  One day it was checked green and now it says that they are validating.   Cruise is Dec 3rd.  I can now see what I uploaded.   My card has the 2 shots and the booster and my husband just has the 2 shots.  I did put the date of the 2nd shot vs the booster, but thats when you are considered fully vaccinated.   We have back up documentation so will bring and just submit if there are any questions.   Still have time.  Im more nervous about doing the COVID test before the cruise.

Happy Cruising!!

• Like 1