Who checks the PLF

Port out

Just thinking about completing the PLF for our forthcoming cruise and wondered who checks it, as unlike arriving from abroad on an aircraft where you have to go through passport control, this doesn't happen on disembarkation in Southampton .. or does it now. Happy to complete it and do the covid test on arrival home but just wondered what the checking procedure is.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, larrythelabrador said:

Yep, we have booked trips at each port, just in case!

On 11/1/2021 at 9:15 AM, Port out said:

Just thinking about completing the PLF for our forthcoming cruise and wondered who checks it, as unlike arriving from abroad on an aircraft where you have to go through passport control, this doesn't happen on disembarkation in Southampton .. or does it now. Happy to complete it and do the covid test on arrival home but just wondered what the checking procedure is.

I don't think they are checked properly, if at all. I know someone who filled theirs in, ordered the pcr test (which was the rule at the time) to take when they returned home but didn't actually take the test and nobody chased it up.

3 hours ago, Jannyfanny said:

I don't think they are checked properly, if at all. I know someone who filled theirs in, ordered the pcr test (which was the rule at the time) to take when they returned home but didn't actually take the test and nobody chased it up.

Doesn't surprise me.  Unfortunately.  The lack of Customs Officers on arrival at Southampton never ceases to amaze me.  Especially when returning from the higher risk countries.

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure if any cruises return to Southampton from any country that is higher risk than the UK !

I should have explained myself better.  I was referring to a high risk in an importation of illegal goods sense rather than Covid.  Particularly drugs.

22 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I should have explained myself better.  I was referring to a high risk in an importation of illegal goods sense rather than Covid.  Particularly drugs.

I seem to recall that there was an increased presence for cruises returning from the Canaries, searching for cigarettes and tobacco.

Not sure how many cruises come back to Southampton from Colombia, Mexico etc.

• Like 1

Hi

On Ventura 2 weeks ago they had a sale in the DF shop two days from Southampton.

Selected bottles of spirits £10 for a litre bottle.

I got the x2 bottles allowed,,,the guy in front of me must have had a lot of family on board,he bought x12 bottles.

Also they were selling miniatures 10 for £5,,,he didn’t leave many for anyone else.

I saw one guy being searched when coming out of the Ocean terminal baggage shed.

Flying tomorrow and trying to complete the PLF form but not having much success. Realise the government website says complete 48 hours before return to UK , but P and O seem to think it can be completed before travelling.

Any tips or experience of this?

many thanks

46 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Flying tomorrow and trying to complete the PLF form but not having much success. Realise the government website says complete 48 hours before return to UK , but P and O seem to think it can be completed before travelling.

Any tips or experience of this?

many thanks

The PLF may be completed up to 21 days prior to travel.  It is about entering the UK upon return and questions relate to this.  Basically you are travelling from your destination and your carrier will be P&O, your flight number will be "name of ship" and seat is "Cabin number"  you intend to stay in the UK (if you are a UK resident) and you need a 2 day covid test appointment or purchase reference, if you are double vaccinated.  I went or the self-test at home and you get a reference number from the lab to enter onto the form.  After I returned to the UK I self-tested and took the packet to a "Priority post box" see post office website for locations, do not enter a post office with your packet.  Put postage stamps on the item you send into the lab. Printing out the completed PLF with a QR code on it is best even if you store a copy on your phone.  This is easier to access when boarding and may be taken ashore with passport at ports of call. P&O should publish local regulatons at each stop.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

13 minutes ago, john watson said:

The PLF may be completed up to 21 days prior to travel.  It is about entering the UK upon return and questions relate to this.  Basically you are travelling from your destination and your carrier will be P&O, your flight number will be "name of ship" and seat is "Cabin number"  you intend to stay in the UK (if you are a UK resident) and you need a 2 day covid test appointment or purchase reference, if you are double vaccinated.  I went or the self-test at home and you get a reference number from the lab to enter onto the form.  After I returned to the UK I self-tested and took the packet to a "Priority post box" see post office website for locations, do not enter a post office with your packet.  Put postage stamps on the item you send into the lab. Printing out the completed PLF with a QR code on it is best even if you store a copy on your phone.  This is easier to access when boarding and may be taken ashore with passport at ports of call. P&O should publish local regulatons at each stop.

Regards John

Thanks John

we have the test ordered and have the reference etc. Just on the government website it doesn’t seem to allow us to complete it except 48 hours before arrival in UK - despite P & O saying it can be

7 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Thanks John

we have the test ordered and have the reference etc. Just on the government website it doesn’t seem to allow us to complete it except 48 hours before arrival in UK - despite P & O saying it can be

I came off Ventura on the 25th Sept,,I filled the PLF in pre cruise,,,printed copies off a showed them to check in staff at Southampton.

Did you make clear on the form this was a cruise,,,,the 21 days is a concession for cruises,,,,,you don’t get it for land holidays.

As John says make sure you put in P&O,,Ship name,,Southampton in the relevant part.

Edit,,,just notice you are flying,,,,where to?,,are you flying back?
If you are flying back into the country,then no,you can’t fill it in before you go.

You will have to fill it in on ship before you fly back.

If you haven’t got WiFi P&O will let you use it free to complete the form,,,,they did on Ventura a couple of weeks ago for those who never pre filled it in or never knew you had to even have a PLF.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

6 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Thanks John

You could try logging onto the government website, accept all cookies and open a  "Passenger Locator Account"  You can fill out PLF's and store them on the account unfinished, edit them later if required and then submit the forms at a later date.

Regards John

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

I seem to recall that there was an increased presence for cruises returning from the Canaries, searching for cigarettes and tobacco.

Not sure how many cruises come back to Southampton from Colombia, Mexico etc.

Spain is high risk for cocaina.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

On Ventura 2 weeks ago they had a sale in the DF shop two days from Southampton.

Selected bottles of spirits £10 for a litre bottle.

I got the x2 bottles allowed,,,the guy in front of me must have had a lot of family on board,he bought x12 bottles.

Also they were selling miniatures 10 for £5,,,he didn’t leave many for anyone else.

I saw one guy being searched when coming out of the Ocean terminal baggage shed.

Since we left the EU I believe we can bring four litres per person back to the UK.  The problem now is carrying the stuff off the ship in your hand luggage, or risking it in cases considering how they are handled.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tring said:

Since we left the EU I believe we can bring four litres per person back to the UK.  The problem now is carrying the stuff off the ship in your hand luggage, or risking it in cases considering how they are handled.

Thanks for posting this Tring.  I wasn't aware that the alcohol limit

had at some point been increased.  More grog to carry back from Ventura next month!

Quick summary for the blissfully unaware like myself:

Spirits - 4 litres

Still wine - 18 litres

Sparkly or fortified wine >22% - 9 litres

Tobacco looks like the same as before (non smoker, little interest).

Full details at:

Bringing goods into the UK for personal use: Arriving in Great Britain - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks for that,,,,wish I had checked now I only brought home 3 bottles between us two.

On my cruise on Ventura a couple of weeks ago the DF shops were shut in Lisbon,Malaga and there isn’t one in Cartagena,,,,Cadiz was very cheap,,they have a sign on the wall “Cheaper than Gibraltar”

Any savings to be had in Gib was used up by paying £18 each for a P&O LFT to go ashore.

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Any savings to be had in Gib was used up by paying £18 each for a P&O LFT to go ashore.

I forgot about that.  Mind you, we're planning to do the cable car independantly, so we'll be paying for the tests anyway. 

We were going to go to Southampton by train, but there may well still be disruption due to the Salisbury crash.  A total of 8 litres of spirit bought on board, less 10% Peninsula discount would go towards the cost of parking.  But as Tring says, you've got to carry it all off the ship!

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Thanks for that,,,,wish I had checked now I only brought home 3 bottles between us two.

On my cruise on Ventura a couple of weeks ago the DF shops were shut in Lisbon,Malaga and there isn’t one in Cartagena,,,,Cadiz was very cheap,,they have a sign on the wall “Cheaper than Gibraltar”

We arrived home from Sky Princess last Friday and Gibraltar was our last port, but we did not need a test to go there, independently or otherwise. 

We spoke to an officer at the re embarkation gangway a number of days before and he said they were in negotiation with Gibraltar regards whether we would need tested to enter.  He said the ship did not want to test us.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I forgot about that.  Mind you, we're planning to do the cable car independantly, so we'll be paying for the tests anyway. 

We were going to go to Southampton by train, but there may well still be disruption due to the Salisbury crash.  A total of 8 litres of spirit bought on board, less 10% Peninsula discount would go towards the cost of parking.  But as Tring says, you've got to carry it all off the ship!

In the duty free shop at Gibraltar port and in some shops in the town they sell spirits in plastic bottles, somewhat lighter than glass bottles. I bought 3 litres of whisky in plastic bottles for £24. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tring said:

We arrived home from Sky Princess last Friday and Gibraltar was our last port, but we did not need a test to go there, independently or otherwise. 

We spoke to an officer at the re embarkation gangway a number of days before and he said they were in negotiation with Gibraltar regards whether we would need tested to enter.  He said the ship did not want to test us.  

I would be surprised if Gibraltar didn’t move on the requirement to be tested before entry.

Not many were willing to pay the £18 and stayed on board.

Mind you if P&O have the £10 a bottle sale there would be no need to get off in Gib.

You have to watch out for it though,,,I only found out by asking the price of a Black Bush and being advised to wait until 09:00 next day when it will be £10.

The sale was on the Saturday before we disembarked on the Monday,,,and the queue was long,they were only letting 3/4 in the shop at a time.

• Thanks 1