Not notified about change of stateroom

emerald6273

This happened to us---Twice!!! even though I marked us as no upgrade!! It took several calls and several hours to get our original rooms back----NOT ONCE BUT  Twice!!!!!  Call and be persistent but polite! ask to speak to Supervisor-write emails and letters. Let them know that this practice is  unacceptable!  They never gave us notice when this happened. I found out because I am OCD when it comes to checking travel details. I agree, the upgrades were not true upgrades, just split us up and moved us to another cabin.

I cancelled my European cruise with Princess because of this. We loved the Princess experience, but Europe is just too important for me to risk having this experience again.

Edited by shiner6

1 hour ago, shiner6 said:

This happened to us---Twice!!! even though I marked us as no upgrade!! It took several calls and several hours to get our original rooms back----NOT ONCE BUT  Twice!!!!!  Call and be persistent but polite! ask to speak to Supervisor-write emails and letters. Let them know that this practice is  unacceptable!  They never gave us notice when this happened. I found out because I am OCD when it comes to checking travel details. I agree, the upgrades were not true upgrades, just split us up and moved us to another cabin.

I cancelled my European cruise with Princess because of this. We loved the Princess experience, but Europe is just too important for me to risk having this experience again.

Honestly, I did talk to a supervisor (remember 3hours on the phone).  They would not do it. Once it is an isolation unit, it is done.  I was very persistent.....very, but also polite.  But, all I got was a bottle of wine.......

54 minutes ago, Level six said:

Honestly, I did talk to a supervisor (remember 3hours on the phone).  They would not do it. Once it is an isolation unit, it is done.  I was very persistent.....very, but also polite.  But, all I got was a bottle of wine.......

Same with me, I got a free Specialty dinner that I don’t even want. I just want my cabin back. 

• Like 2

If the cabin change occurred to me, I would understand it.  All bets are off in this era of Covid cruising and if you can't accept that - you shouldn't cruise at this time.  What would get me annoyed enough to cancel the cruise and to never cruise w Princess again though would be their failure to notify me and to give me an opportunity to cancel the cruise even if it was past the final cancellation date.  

With this and with the Medallion fiasco, Princess is beginning to sound like the protagonists in the The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight book.

DON

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If the cabin change occurred to me, I would understand it.  All bets are off in this era of Covid cruising and if you can't accept that - you shouldn't cruise at this time.  What would get me annoyed enough to cancel the cruise and to never cruise w Princess again though would be their failure to notify me and to give me an opportunity to cancel the cruise even if it was past the final cancellation date.  

With this and with the Medallion fiasco, Princess is beginning to sound like the protagonists in the The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight book.

DON

What also got me is the fact that they didn’t notify me and they moved me to another deck with a smaller balcony. I was able to get the last cabin on my good deck after five hours on the phone and on hold. Mostly on hold. I roll with what happens and I have been on enough cruises that seven days isn’t going to break me, just tell me what is happening. I told the funny story on another post that I found out because I called about a large price break and by the time I got off of the phone I found another $165 price break. 😊

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I think most of us on these boards are aware enough to check this sort of thing.  But can you imagine being a newbie, maybe your honeymoon, and having to deal with these changes when you get to the ship?  I think I might go a little off the rails.  😀

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CruzDayz said:

What also got me is the fact that they didn’t notify me and they moved me to another deck with a smaller balcony. I was able to get the last cabin on my good deck after five hours on the phone and on hold. Mostly on hold. I roll with what happens and I have been on enough cruises that seven days isn’t going to break me, just tell me what is happening. I told the funny story on another post that I found out because I called about a large price break and by the time I got off of the phone I found another $165 price break. 😊

We got bumped up from a balcony to a mini-suite.  A deck change but not major, so we're ok with it.  I still check every couple of days to be sure things are still copacetic. Our situation is a little different in that we have a great relationship with our PVP.  She put us in for the bump and was as happy as we were that it sent through.

• Like 2

How are people getting good changes?  It seems so random and unfair really.  It they are going to upgrade some people they move, but not others, it just seems wrong to me.  I mean, good for you and I am happy for you(truly I am), but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we literally got a worse place than we started with. 

I hate to rant and it is all okay,  but I feel like Charlie Brown getting a rock on Halloween. I want a snickers!!!

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Level six said:

How are people getting good changes?  It seems so random and unfair really.  It they are going to upgrade some people they move, but not others, it just seems wrong to me.  I mean, good for you and I am happy for you(truly I am), but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we literally got a worse place than we started with. 

I hate to rant and it is all okay,  but I feel like Charlie Brown getting a rock on Halloween. I want a snickers!!!

Our bump up was a few months ago.  Might have something to do with us have 2 future cruises, including a 3 cabin family cruise and a TA, all with mini-suites.  Regardless, it was before this current spate of changes started.  If that had happened to us I'd have probably canceled all 3 trips.  I'm a big fan of Milky Way and 3 Musketeers. 

• Like 1

It seems like a large number are being affected.  I say this as Princess CC posters are a small percentage of overall Princess customer base.

It seems like they are doing more than finding unsold cabins for impacted guests in the isolation section.  Seems like they are moving unaffected folks as well.  So tbe impact is larger and then more chances of people being upset.

Why not just relocate the affected and give refundable OBC?  Instead it seems Princess is making it more complicated and not thinking about how a lot of folks are very particular about location.  Sigh.

But I hope they are now blocking off cabins out some ways instead of doing it all last week before sailing.

I keep watching ours, but surely do hope Covid protocols are in rearview mirror by Fall 2022.

• Like 1

We just got off Regal Princess last weekend. The same happened to us before we sailed.

We had booked ‘obstructed deluxe balcony’ on deck 8 midship - so larger angles balcony and effectively no obstruction. My daughter was getting married on the ship and we had several cabins booked in a row. I noticed they had moved us when I checked something else on my planner and I had not received any notification either. What upset me was the fact they had split us up and moved us all to different locations all over the ship - so no longer in a row, midship.

I rang Princess solidly for about a week - no one could move me back to a midship (one side of deck used for isolation but identical cabins on opposite side of deck available) as it was effectively a change of grade and needed a supervisor to change grades. I just wanted my equivalent old cabin back! I held for up to 2 hours at a time - both Southampton and USA - but always same story, needed to be transferred to guest relations and the phone was never picked up. I wrote 3 letters of complaint - nothing. And, in the meantime, I watched all the available balcony cabins become unavailable as they moved others around and took more bookings.

I eventually got through to someone in Southampton who said he would sort it for me. He was very sympathetic and said he was determined to put us together in midship balconies. Disappeared for about 20 mins and then came back with good news and bad news. Bad news, no he couldn’t move us to the midship cabins next to each other as they were upgrades and he wasn’t allowed. Good news, he had found two adjacent midship cabins to move two of the group to. I looked up the cabin. Ordinary balcony, not deluxe, no sofa bed for my elderly infirm mother but a Pullman. I asked how my 83 year old blind mother was going to climb a ladder to get into her bunk as that was a downgrade to a non sofa cabin and representative was most upset that I wasn’t pleased he had got two cabins together!!!!! He didn’t seem to think that was a problem!

I insisted on being transferred to his supervisor (whom he told me was unavailable as he was on the phone). I insisted on waiting. Almost 3 hours on phone. He eventually answered and put us in the only remaining balconies together - at last! This took 17 phone calls and 3 looooooong  letters of complaint!

As an aside, everything on board was AMAZING and so was the wedding. The ship staff exceeded our expectations and more than made up for the poor customer service shoreside (complete lack of staff to deal with phone calls and problems).

Tracey

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shiner6 said:

I dont understand why choosing and moving cabins isn't like selecting seats on an aircraft where once you have paid you can select an available alternative, or upgrade to a better one and pay the difference. Why is it all such a faff?

5 hours ago, shiner6 said:

I did try to get our original cabin back but Princess won't budge. Also followed up with emails. There's barely any BA category balcony cabins left on our January sailing so we've nothing else comparable we can ask for.  Seems like you're more likely to get messed about now if you choose Deck 9. Could kick myself for rebooking in first place. Our first reservation we had reserved guarantee balcony. When I saw 3 weeks ago that a large angled BA category balcony on Deck 9 was still available for our sailing I rebooked. 7 days later Princess moved us without any notification from that cabin.  We had to pay an admin fee for cancelling our original reservation for guarantee balcony. This is because we are booked via UK market.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me. Logged onto Princess website last night and noticed the cabin number had been changed. Was on Dolphin port side, now same cabin on starboard side. No notice, nothing. It’ll be fine, it’s just a lateral move, but it would have been nice to have been told WHY it was changed. 

• Like 1

It seems like a game of musical chairs at this point. I am so sorry to those who had their heart set on specific cabins... and woohoo to those who love their upgrade cabins. 

Cabin selection, like food, is so subjective.

PS- I am pretty picky. I want a cabin that is only for 2, with cabins (not public spaces) above and below, and no nebulous "white space" next door. So I totally get it!

• Like 1

My PVP saved my birthday cruise! I had an obstructed balcony cabin on the Regal with a large balcony. Based on the posts I was watching my cabins on all of my cruises and saw my b'day cruise cabin changed to a regular obstructed balcony cabin. I emailed my PVP. She got on it right away. In the meantime I put a hold on an obstructed deluxe balcony with a large balcony. I called the person helping my PVP on the issue and gave her the cabin number. Got It! My original cabin had been taken as a COVID isolation cabin. Then today I saw my preceding cruise cabin had been upgraded to the same cabin as my birthday cruise cabin! Obstructed balcony cabin to obstructed deluxe cabin. SWEET!

Of course no notice from P about any of the changes.

Moral of the story: Get a PVP assigned to you and make contact. I did not spend hours on the phone.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, Level six said:

We got an email, "upgrade".  But it was no upgrade for sure.  When I called to change back, I found out our area was the isolation area.  I booked the cruise 2 weeks before sailing and it was open to book!!  They should have known that would be an isolation area before I booked. 

Even though our first stateroom was much better than the new one, they would not move me to a nicer one.  I was on Aloha, just steps from the Terrace pool and got moved to Caribe........boo.  The ship is empty.......I don't know why they can't move me to a better location.  Oh well, sail in a few days. 

What ship?

We were booted out of our Aloha penthouse on Emerald to a mini, but at least received a call and were refunded our cruise costs.  I was told we'd still get our suite amenities but it was news to Guest Services. After being onboard a couple of days, we were moved to the original penthouse and kept our refund (strange, right?).  So Princess lost the revenue for four suites; how does that help their bottom line?  There were a few Aloha cabins with passengers, but everything forward of the forward elevators was locked off and I saw crew meals being delivered several times.

FYI, any influx of new crew members means more cabins are needed for their quarantine period.

If you have a B2B booked, make sure Princess has them linked on their records.  I don't think this always happens, so I called our TA to have this done for our March and April cruises.  Just in case...

On 11/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, Marelaine said:

I received an upgrade notice via email. Our upgrade is from a balcony to a premium balcony. Both cabins were in the same area of the ship. We were moved from Aloha to Carib. I'm sorry for those who aren't happy with their new cabins.

Our new Cabin is posted on the Medallion app. I want to be sure that my luggage is not delivered to the old cabin.

Just make sure you luggage tags indicate the proper cabin (where you want your luggage)?

Hank