Has anyone cruised without a phone since the new app?

mips

I saw paper fun times at the atrium bar.  You would need to ask your server for a menu in the MDR and any specialty restaurant.  

I was very impressed with the HUB and I was not looking foward to using it.  

• Like 4

We cruised on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore without using phone.

We had printed copies of documents for check in and things went smoothly.  The only problem we ran into was checking in for Yourtime Dining; we had to wait in line to check in then had to tell them that we would need paper menus.  The first two nights when we asked for menus the wait staff would point to the table display card and tell us to scan the QR code then when I told them that we didn’t have a phone they would have to walk back to the checkin stand to get menus. On the third day I started telling them I needed paper menus when I checked in. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mips said:

Wondering how easy it is to go old school.

I don't have a cell phone, and do not want one and I'm not buying one just to use on a cruise.

I'll survive!

Fun Times are available at Guest Services  and Menus are posted. Don't really need to know much else on board.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, sgttami said:

I don't have a cell phone, and do not want one and I'm not buying one just to use on a cruise.

I'll survive!

Fun Times are available at Guest Services  and Menus are posted. Don't really need to know much else on board.

Amen!. 😇 And here I thought I was the last person in the universe, who didn't  have/want  a cell phone! Good to  know I (still)  won't need one...

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

Amen!. 😇 And here I thought I was the last person in the universe, who didn't  have/want  a cell phone! Good to  know I (still)  won't need one...

I join you as one of the last people without a cellphone.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I join you as one of the last people without a cellphone.

Wow-3 of us! There are times, when I could have benefited from having one-ie: once when arriving at an airport, I needed to borrow a phone so I could call my friends that I needed a ride - no more phone booths).

1 hour ago, urbanhawk said:

Wow-3 of us! There are times, when I could have benefited from having one-ie: once when arriving at an airport, I needed to borrow a phone so I could call my friends that I needed a ride - no more phone booths).

LOL, we had to find a bar to give us quarters for a dollar so we could use a phone booth to call the parking lot where our car was parked to have them pick us up.

3 hours ago, sgttami said:

I don't have a cell phone, and do not want one

and I'm not buying one, just to use on a cruise!

I'll survive! =====> And you will, very nicely, too.

Buying one just for the cruise

should best be done a month before your cruise date

because you are buying a tiny portable computer

that also happens to function as a phone

among its many many features and apps.

PHONE is just one app. of many

I also have Sound Meter(measures decibels/noise!) on mine, plus

an altimeter, a Barometer, two cardio-related apps -plus others

- but just learning today's operating system

and how the damned thing works best for you

will take you a month.

Unless you really do just get a phone-phone (not a smart/clever phone)
which won't be of much help on board.

3 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Yes, you can still have a 1980s cruise experience on board if you want.

Do they still issue you a Sail & Sign CARD?
and not some damned bracelet gadget-thing?

I want a card!

Carnival-03-A.jpg

Carnival-05-A.jpg

Carnival-06.jpg

Carnival-09.jpg

Sign and sail cards are still issued.  I don't want a bracelet/gadget thing either.

It would be wonderful to sail like the "old days."

To actually talk to people and not be afraid to say Hello, for fear of interrupting those whose heads are buried deep in one gadget or another.

• Like 4

I love to save my sail and sign cards, but now it’s purely for nostalgia purposes more than anything else. 

I’m truly loving how much easier it is to embrace technology. Opening my stateroom, checking out daily programs, looking at menus, making reservations, charging for things, etc, etc. 

15 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Do they still issue you a Sail & Sign CARD? and not some damned bracelet gadget-thing?

I want a card!

3 hours ago, Lil2Angelic said:

Our cell phones go in the cabin safe when we board. We love to disconnect and decompress when we cruise. 

I can appreciate that people are resistant to change, or they don't want to carry their phone around the ship, but I am confused by seeing this comment over and over when people do not want to use the HUB app. I fail to understand how simply using the HUB app is not allowing one to disconnect and decompress.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

or they don't want to carry their phone around the ship

Bingo! I can ignore my phone and disconnect from my e-mail, but I hate needing my phone to scan QR codes to see menus and the like. Yes, call me a Luddite. I really want to look at paper menus and Fun Times.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Bingo! I can ignore my phone and disconnect from my e-mail, but I hate needing my phone to scan QR codes to see menus and the like. Yes, call me a Luddite. I really want to look at paper menus and Fun Times.

Same here and I have no intentions of carrying a phone around. I get that times have changed but I want a small piece of paper (fun times) that can go into my husband’s pocket easily lol If Carnival had hubs around the ship that would be nice for those who don’t wanted  or don’t have a phone to carry. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I can appreciate that people are resistant to change, or they don't want to carry their phone around the ship, but I am confused by seeing this comment over and over when people do not want to use the HUB app. I fail to understand how simply using the HUB app is not allowing one to disconnect and decompress.

You can't use the HUB app if you don't have a phone!  I, for one am not resistant to technology.  

I love paperless billing, online bill pay, booking trips,  and all forms of social media and have a great computer system to do that at home.  (full size keyboard and huge monitor)

I don't want any part of that when I go away.  

• Like 6

I get a couple weeks a year on a ship that I don't have to pat my pockets or have a mini panic attack "Where's my phone".  I know exactly where it is, in the safe, turned off.  

And yes, I have cruised without using the hub. Wasn't an issue.  They brought me paper menus on request and I picked up a Fun Times

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 3

Some of the restaurants (MDR Seaday Brunch for example) require you to check in on the Hub App ahead of time.  If you don't have a phone, when you show up at the restaurants they will put you in queue rather than seat you immediately.  I don't know if they'll improve this, but there were some unhappy cruisers who were used to waltzing into Seaday Brunch and instead had to wait 10 minutes outside with the mask police hovering.  Oh.  Wait.  That was us.  Learned my lesson to always use the Hub to "pre-checkin" to restaurants.  Don't like it but now I remember to do it in the cabin right before walking to the restaurant.  YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.  😁 🏴‍☠️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Agreed.  Even in the Steakhouse (where they still have tablecloths, but probably not for long after they removed them first from MDR then recently from Elegant Night... what's elegant about a wood table?) they insisted we use our phone to scan the menu QR on the table.  For us it took away from the experience.  Others on here have said they requested paper menus and had mixed results - but still, the extra wait time!

My wife had the app on her phone but we hated having to use it. Also, we couldn't use it for the menus. Having been involved with computers since 1980 we have security programs on our phones. They don't allow an internet connection that is not secure. The Carnival web connection is not secure so the QR scanning would not work. I expect one of these days they will have a 13 year old passenger who is bored and hacks the unsecured connections and bricks everyone's phone.

• Like 3