Binax now question

megs193

I am cruising in January so I’m starting to read about what kind of testing we might need. The CVS near me sells Binax now.  Does anyone know if I can buy the test there and use an app to have someone certify the results or do I need to buy directly from emed?  TIA!

1 minute ago, megs193 said:

I am cruising in January so I’m starting to read about what kind of testing we might need. The CVS near me sells Binax now.  Does anyone know if I can buy the test there and use an app to have someone certify the results or do I need to buy directly from emed?  TIA!

You may not use the over the counter version for sailing. 

3 hours ago, tbmrt said:

This may be the way to go for us.  Just told yesterday that many insurance companies including mine (AARP United Healthcare)  will not pay for travel Covid tests at CVS.

The good thing is, CVS doesnt charge no matter the reason.  🙂  

15 hours ago, megs193 said:

If your test is proctored (witnessed and coached through E Medicne) and test results reported to you by e mail it will be accepted. So make sure your test has this include.The test RCL is selling is the same test available in many areas of the USA. My Employer, and even then Library in my community is giving the SAME BIONX Now test away free. Again!! For the testing to be valid. It MUST be  E-medicine proctor included. I know some here will debate the need to purchase the ABBOTT from RCL. However ABBOTT only makes one BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag test for home use, and is packaged with versions that have the Emed option that allow for you to use in such situations as required. 

Read for your self

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Telehealth self-tests taken at home must meet these requirements:

• Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement.
  • The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
Edited by Medic5emt

I was just informed today that if you order through Optum you can order fewer than 6 test kits. If you buy directly from EMED you must purchase 6. This can be a problem as the kits have expiration dates. Also, be very careful not to open your box until the proctor tells you to do so! We have done this test twice-once pre-return from Iceland and once when we were two days out from our flight home to the US from Italy. Be very sure you have good wifi and also be advised that you must log-in to Emed on your browser-NOT ON THE NAVICA app. You can use the app after testing to see your results but not to test. You will get a QR code but for our most recent test United Airlines would only accept a screenshot of the negative result written out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Medic5emt said:

ABBOTT only makes one BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag test for home use

Your information is very useful, but Abbott does make two versions of the BinaxNow for home use.  And that can be confusing.

There is the version sold at Optum and emed.  It includes a proctor, and it is accepted by RCI:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

There is another version that is sold at CVS, it is not proctored, and unless you can arrange for a medical professional to properly administer and document, it is not accepted by RCI:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-antigen-self-test-2-tests-for-serial-testing-prodid-550147

The correct version must include the wording "Ag Card" on the box.

2 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Be very sure you have good wifi and also be advised that you must log-in to Emed on your browser-NOT ON THE NAVICA app. 

I thought that the proctor could be done on the Navica app?  Is there a link that explains how to log-in to emed?   I just want to be prepared so that everything goes smoothly the day of our test.  Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Your information is very useful, but Abbott does make two versions of the BinaxNow for home use.  And that can be confusing.

There is the version sold at Optum and emed.  It includes a proctor, and it is accepted by RCI:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

There is another version that is sold at CVS, it is not proctored, and unless you can arrange for a medical professional to properly administer and document, it is not accepted by RCI:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-antigen-self-test-2-tests-for-serial-testing-prodid-550147

The correct version must include the wording "Ag Card" on the box.

MY intent was to point out one proctored version. Sorry for the wording. RCL is selling the same version being given out in my community free. Regardless of were you get it. The test is the same proctored version from Abbott. 

Edited by Medic5emt

There may be some tests that allow for the proctored testing to be done on the app but the kits we have did not. The tests you buy over the counter at the drugstore are useful for letting you know your status re: covid in situations where you might be attending an event with family and just want to be sure you do not have covid. 

22 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I thought that the proctor could be done on the Navica app?  Is there a link that explains how to log-in to emed?   I just want to be prepared so that everything goes smoothly the day of our test.  Thanks.

Good question.  We are doing our test tomorrow.  I “think” we got to NAVICA first and there will be a link to emed. 🤞🤞

On 11/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, soremekun said:

You have to buy online via emed.  The box must say RX.  

Where on the box does it say RX?  I purchased via Optum with emed telehealth services from the Royal Caribbean website and I can't find where it says RX on the box.

Edited by swdke

This two day testing procedure has become worrisome.  Has anyone knowledge if the Navica App works properly?.  Are proctors available 24/7?  What is the wait time?

Do we have a choice to use our laptops for the BinaxNow test and avoid the App?  

9 minutes ago, ltcpda said:

This two day testing procedure has become worrisome.  Has anyone knowledge if the Navica App works properly?.  Are proctors available 24/7?  What is the wait time?

Do we have a choice to use our laptops for the BinaxNow test and avoid the App?  

We have the app on our phone, but logged in via emed.com to do the test.  We used an iPad and it worked perfectly.  Make sure you set up your display so it doesn’t time out during the test.  The proctor actually took control of my camera and used the front camera to get a good picture of my ID, the code, and the result.  Rest of the time, I sat in front of the screen to watch the instructions and have the proctor see me open and complete the test.  We had extra tests, so we did a practice one with the proctor so my family could all watch and be comfortable with the process.

Youll receive an email with the result and a QR code sent to the app.

Edited by dianajo67
  • Like 1

We’re not cruising until January but bought ours already. With concerns over shipping delays, potential shortages, etc., I wasn’t taking any chances. 

I took a pic of RCCL’s approved one vs. the Walgreens version I keep on hand since I have a young grandson and we’re especially cautious. 

E3CB8CEF-6B1C-4898-AC90-7949D6ED65DA.jpeg

Since I’m traveling with my husband, do we EACH need the Navica app and separate appointments or can we do the testing back to back with the same eMed observer. Any idea? That wasn’t addressed in the video above. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Betsynh said:

Since I’m traveling with my husband, do we EACH need the Navica app and separate appointments or can we do the testing back to back with the same eMed observer. Any idea? That wasn’t addressed in the video above. Thanks!

I think you would each need your own account so they can verify the information on your ID to the information on the account. Theres no appointment, you just get who you get when you log on. In theory if you have 2 computer / devices set up.. you can both do it at the same time with 2 different observers… assuming you have enough bandwidth.