Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes windows was Greek last night and taste of Asia tonight. 
I’m just hoping for you we got the rogue cabin. There’s lots of new staff onboard and as the restaurant manager said some are needing so much more training than others 

We had heard Onward brought some of their best onboard at the beginning.  Some may have rotated off Onward and heard some had Issues getting visas for US.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

The door is the wrong size. It can only be fixed by losing the use of the drawer. It’s a balcony cabin. We are only hearing second hand what fixes they are using. Also waiting to hear about our air conditioning the room can either be freezing or scalding (all on the same setting!) no happy medium yet 

It may be better if they removed the door entirely for the time being.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, macmax said:

It may be better if they removed the door entirely for the time being.

That's the kind of MacGyver solution I would have tried.  [Always pack a small screw driver so you can tighten things up without bothering Engineering – or make small changes without asking permission!]

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, uktog said:

Currently on Onward. First experience of this ship. 

Positives we like the lighter colour scheme, the layout of the living room and with no sunset bar much more space to sit on the back verandah. Last nights act Unity were the best we’ve seen on an Azamara ship and Vasi in the Den is very good. Staff are trying hard. Many new faces as always some better than others. 

Patio was open last night but for us unfortunately they’ve abandoned the served evening meal in Windows. I’m sure the fans of buffets are happy, we aren’t!

Maintenance issues continue. The door of our dressing table is falling off. They can only fix it by screwing it shut so we lose both that space and the table drawer so we’ve gone for the distressed furniture look. Shower and air conditioning both can’t keep a set temperature- very annoying. All are I suppose minor issues but not what you expect in a premium line. 

Biggest bugbear by far. “Due to higher levels of consumption on the transatlantic” I quote - you know who you are - 😂😂there is NO champagne onboard. They are passing off a French sparkling wine Veuve de Verve as their premium champagne. There is also no Schweppes tonic anywhere. The bar manager has checked. He knows it’s an issue - says has to take what Miami gives him. Don’t want to sound like alcoholics maxing out on the Ultimate Package but these two issues are future deal breakers if we can’t rely on consistent product quality across four ships. 

Sailing in high winds so Decks 5 and 11 are closed. Couldn’t find anywhere on pool deck to sit yesterday lots of bottles of sun cream and bags were enjoying their holiday. Staff weren’t dealing with it. We went to use our balcony- I see what others mean. These low backed chairs are so uncomfortable and with no support are only useful I suppose for eating at the table.  Today at 1010 virtually all seats gone again. Hopefully less windy conditions and the issues will go. 

Wifi is the worst we’ve had on any Azamara ship even in Norway. It’s the usual Jam tomorrow- we are getting an upgrade soon. Appreciate its coming that doesn’t help me work a little as I have to this week. I will sort that by working ashore in each port - not ideal but ok

Still waiting for the cruise booklet with everyone’s names to arrive (day 3 now) as soon as it does will update any changes on that thread. 

In conclusion so far it’s an OK trip. Not a disaster but not up to Quest and Journeys experience in the summer. But things may change.  

HEY... there were only about 280 of us aboard the TA, and I'm sure we did not drink the ship dry... AND... you had a port call in Miami, home of Azamara... why not more suppies onboard....  DON"T BLAME US!

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, uktog said:

Yep we’ve no bookings on Onward and it will stay that way for now. 
But hey the sun is shining and it’s warmer than home! 

I’m so sorry to hear the problems you’re having as we really enjoyed the Onward. We were on for 11 nights in June and just disembarked after the 11 night trans Atlantic. We are also booked for 18 nights in March. That’s 40 nights on the Onward and the same cabin each time. We were lucky and like the cabin (it was a guarantee in June, but we specifically booked that cabin for the other cruises). I wouldn’t have been happy with a broken drawer either. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, uktog said:

I gave them three chances to fix this - reported three times so I think it’s fair to share this picture. I wouldn’t if it had been sorted 26203937-653A-4200-BCBA-4D75AF72CC46.thumb.jpeg.0c347378b457db0e47f9a6fb5ce71b9c.jpeg

That’s atrocious! I thought ship crews included a carpenter to fix these types of items?  It really should have been a very minor annoyance that was quickly fixed.

If there is no Champagne on board, I would be asking for a refund of the premium package.  Why weren’t stocks replenished after the transatlantic?  Not good enough at all!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Port Power said:

That’s atrocious! I thought ship crews included a carpenter to fix these types of items?  It really should have been a very minor annoyance that was quickly fixed.

If there is no Champagne on board, I would be asking for a refund of the premium package.  Why weren’t stocks replenished after the transatlantic?  Not good enough at all!

Its not a good outcome, but I would bet the farm that they tried, and the champagne that was ordered did not turn up due to supply chain problems. The Food and Beverage Manager would have known that Champagne was popular on the transatlantic, and that stocks were depleted. As a passenger, I knew it. The sparkling wine that was loaded in Miami was almost certainly a last-minute desperation substitute. I hope that problem will be sorted soon. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, uktog said:

The door is the wrong size. It can only be fixed by losing the use of the drawer. It’s a balcony cabin. We are only hearing second hand what fixes they are using. Also waiting to hear about our air conditioning the room can either be freezing or scalding (all on the same setting!) no happy medium yet 

Surely you should have the opportunity to move to a fully functioning room. 
In view of the reduced number of passengers, housekeeping should be discussing this possibility with you at once.  Good Luck. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, uktog said:

When you get a chance can you see if anyone is still cruising with an exemption certificate re YF. I’m not allowed one 

My recommendation would be to sail the reverse course. That reason being that many countries have restriction on entering them if you’ve been in a designated YF zone in the last 14 days.  I believe South Africa is one of those.  By doing the Cape Town to Lisbon, or similar your shouldn’t have Cape Town keeping you out, but you may still have YF countries not letting you in with a waiver.  Their order may be tricky too as they may have similar entry restrictions! 

Hoping you find a way to succeed on this endeavor! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

My recommendation would be to sail the reverse course. That reason being that many countries have restriction on entering them if you’ve been in a designated YF zone in the last 14 days.  I believe South Africa is one of those.  By doing the Cape Town to Lisbon, or similar your shouldn’t have Cape Town keeping you out, but you may still have YF countries not letting you in with a waiver.  Their order may be tricky too as they may have similar entry restrictions! 

Clever idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Unfortunately we are booked the other way and with back to back and flights partially arranged so I’ve put a stop to any more plans until I get an answer from Azamara. It’s a good idea for new bookers though 

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

Unfortunately we are booked the other way and with back to back and flights partially arranged so I’ve put a stop to any more plans until I get an answer from Azamara. It’s a good idea for new bookers though 

I do understand, the status of Yellow Fever breakout, I’m told, does change a bit but I certainly wouldn’t count on it.  I wonder if those that were B2B would be able to fly directly to Cape Town for their second leg.  I just don’t understand how staying onboard gets you free from Yellow Fever!  Do mosquitoes really know they aren’t supposed to board ships?😂😂😂  Seriously though it may be the actual places you Go.  For example,  both Uruguay and Ecuador  have Yellow Fever, but it’s higher up and farther inland than tours go. 

For what it is worth, the cruise director did say they are trying to bring bug spray on board.  He was in the Cabaret then and seemed to imply that it would be there for use before tours!  That thought made me gag, who sprays that many people indoors! 

I do hope you find a way to make your trip work.  And that the threat eases up soon, although that may not be enough. 

4 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I do understand, the status of Yellow Fever breakout, I’m told, does change a bit but I certainly wouldn’t count on it.  I wonder if those that were B2B would be able to fly directly to Cape Town for their second leg.  I just don’t understand how staying onboard gets you free from Yellow Fever!  Do mosquitoes really know they aren’t supposed to board ships?😂😂😂  Seriously though it may be the actual places you Go.  For example,  both Uruguay and Ecuador  have Yellow Fever, but it’s higher up and farther inland than tours go. 

For what it is worth, the cruise director did say they are trying to bring bug spray on board.  He was in the Cabaret then and seemed to imply that it would be there for use before tours!  That thought made me gag, who sprays that many people indoors! 

I do hope you find a way to make your trip work.  And that the threat eases up soon, although that may not be enough.

My own experience is that insects don't seem to bother ships – just as they are less prevalent in cities than in the countryside.  But I can understand why authorities are very careful about this.  

Over the past 55 years I have had an armful* of mandatory pre-travel inoculations, so I was surprised to find that Yellow Fever wasn't among them.  Does this shot have bad side effects?  Moderna Covid was the first time I've experienced that from a shot and even that faded within 48 hours, but our son has had bad reactions to DPT etc. so I have empathy for those who can't tolerate them.

* comedian hand gesture milking laugh...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My own experience is that insects don't seem to bother ships – just as they are less prevalent in cities than in the countryside.  But I can understand why authorities are very careful about this.  

Over the past 55 years I have had an armful* of mandatory pre-travel inoculations, so I was surprised to find that Yellow Fever wasn't among them.  Does this shot have bad side effects?  Moderna Covid was the first time I've experienced that from a shot and even that faded within 48 hours, but our son has had bad reactions to DPT etc. so I have empathy for those who can't tolerate them.

* comedian hand gesture milking laugh...

We have had two YF shots, years apart... no noticeable ( and remembered) side effects except, like any shot, a pain the arm later that day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All. We had a AZ rep tell us that we could NOT board the ship in Cape Town due to the requirement to have the YFV from the Ghana Port Authority. And that if we were on board the ship would not be able to dock in Ghana. We could not get the YFV and unfortunately, gave up on the cruise. But with ports being cancelled and the currently situation, we really dodged a bullet. I feel for those that had to fly home. 

When I asked a long time travel nurse about the waiver. She said it was a legal document and that they had to honor it. I reached out to many places and some were surprised to hear about the Ghana requirement and other places didn't get back to me. So, if YF spreading a lot this year?

As for losing Senegal, on Nov. 5 WHO registered ZERO cases. Anyone find out why Senegal was cancelled?

Thanks all for reporting.

Edited by SFtraveller