Change in PCR Test Process - Celebrity Equinox

AlbertaCruisers

Looks like the Switch at home PCR and Lamp tests will be a popular item over the next few weeks. We are also sailing on Celebrity Equinox in March and have a noon flight home on disembarkation day. There is no way we can rely on that day getting speedy test results to make the flight. Hopefully it will be Antigen tests to return to Canada by then. Very disappointed in Celebrity.

There isn’t anything on the website that indicates onboard testing isn’t being done however in reality it apparently was done recently after the Equinox docked…non US passengers were tested in the terminal after disembarking and told to head out and they’d get their results in 1.5 hours by email. What happens if you’re at the airport and get a positive result…how is Celebrity going to uphold their promise to look after you at this point? Very disturbing

Yes this definitely disturbing.  I think it’s irresponsible for celebrity to be going against there own policy. Imagine missing your flight because of this. I have until December 28 to cancel our March cruise and uncertainty such as this would be a deal breaker for us even though we are so so looking forward to getting away. 

Wow - this is not good news at all!  I also switch to Celebrity given their onboard pcr testing promise and now that seems to be changing?  Cruising in January and have yet to book my flights but have already decided to stay over one night post cruise - hoping this works out for us and we do our tests done (and negative?) before our flight the following day!!!  

Hoping to hear more from others who are cruising soon or have made contact with Celebrity!

So, as an update, our 5 Canadian friends left the ship Sunday. They have all got home safely and had no issues with tests.  We were late docking that morning. Normally people are walking off before 7 but we had just docked at 7. Our friends had a 7:15 appointment for their test but were still on the ship at that time. They said they walked off, got their bags, did the facial recognition at customs and went out of the building and back in where we originally went in. They said it was about 10 minutes from getting in line to the test being done. They had the results in just over 1 hour by email. 

I spoke to a crew member during our back to back and they said with the large number of Canadians they did not have the facilities to do the testing onboard. 

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My first thoughts reading all this….

I actually understand completely the why’s of this …it’s unfortunate that they had to change their procedures  but with so many cruisers now…..I get it.

I am not going to believe though that Celebrity won’t help people if anyone 

does test positive. I would have to think that passengers would be provided with the Customer care team ( emergency help line - whatever it’s called)to help with arrangements for them.

( just as they did for Don on the Edge)

time will tell !

How does the ArriveCAN app work ? And the airport ?

can you even get passed security if you can’t show your test ?

to me that is the worry ? What are you suppose to do while waiting for 

the email…and if it isn’t received ? Wow ! 
I will definitely be following this and watching for updates

Brockmom

ps…the comfort of knowing you have everything in place before you leave the ship, has been taken away ! This is so disappointing 

Edited by brockmom

1 hour ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, as an update, our 5 Canadian friends left the ship Sunday. They have all got home safely and had no issues with tests.  We were late docking that morning. Normally people are walking off before 7 but we had just docked at 7. Our friends had a 7:15 appointment for their test but were still on the ship at that time. They said they walked off, got their bags, did the facial recognition at customs and went out of the building and back in where we originally went in. They said it was about 10 minutes from getting in line to the test being done. They had the results in just over 1 hour by email. 

I spoke to a crew member during our back to back and they said with the large number of Canadians they did not have the facilities to do the testing onboard. 

Thanks for the update. The comment by the crew member just adds to my concern, as starting today we will start seeing US cruises with European and other passengers who will also need testing to fly home. If they can't handle Canadians on board, they'll never be able to handle global passengers.

17 minutes ago, brockmom said:

How does the ArriveCAN app work ? And the airport ?

can you even get passed security if you can’t show your test ?

to me that is the worry ? What are you suppose to do while waiting for 

the email…and if it isn’t received ?

You can head to the airport, but you won't be able to check in until that email arrives, you have submitted all of your information on the ArriveCAN app, and have received your receipt. 

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You can head to the airport, but you won't be able to check in until that email arrives, you have submitted all of your information on the ArriveCAN app, and have received your receipt. 

And if one does NOT have ANY mobile device(s), what would be their option(s) for receiving the result of their Covid-19 PCR Test, while waiting at Check-In at FLL?

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

And if one does NOT have ANY mobile device(s), what would be their option(s) for receiving the result of their Covid-19 PCR Test, while waiting at Check-In at FLL?

One would hope that Celebrity (and Princess who are testing the same way, after disembarkation) offers printed copies of the test results and not just an Email. You would have to wait at the pier for that info of course, and not head immediately to the airport. It would be helpful if someone coming off one of these ships can confirm.

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

You could always try to find a business center or hotel at the airport to access your e-mail and complete the info upload to ArriveCAN. No other choice right now. You have to provide the test results info in ArriveCAN or the airline can deny you boarding. Hopefully ArriveCAN goes away and all you will need is a rapid antigen test which the cruise line can hand out before you get off the ship.

IMO Celebrity need to provide clear information on how a post cruise/off ship positive test will be handled, as their website continues to indicate that the testing will be done onboard PRIOR to debarkation. I.e. What do I do, if as they suggest, I proceed to the airport, and then receive my positive test results by email. This needs to be addressed, because as discussed above, there will now be many more international cruisers onboard. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

FLL provides free Wi-Fi internet access in all terminals. You have a tablet and will be able to use it at the airport to receive your email and submit your information on your ArriveCAN app. 

10 minutes ago, Welly9 said:

I say Maybe its not Celebrity or other Cruise Companies, but our Flakey Cdn Govn;t requiring PCR tests Air or Land for Vaxxed Healthy travelers! 

Yes. If they removed the requirement of a PCR test for re-entry, that would solve this particular issue. Not holding my breath though that this will happen in time for our cruise. I suspect that they (the Cdn Gov't) will wait until after the holidays  and into January at the earliest.

4 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Yes. If they removed the requirement of a PCR test for re-entry, that would solve this particular issue. Not holding my breath though that this will happen in time for our cruise. I suspect that they (the Cdn Gov't) will wait until after the holidays  and into January at the earliest.

YEs you are probably right with your timing...cpl weeks ago back from a Carnival cruise out of Galveston, got our PCR test in Cozumel, np, in 2 weeks, off to FT Laud on the Ody OTS, and will do PCR test on board.

But what they really need to correct and eliminate are the short trips (24 to 72 hrs) if you want to drive to see a Ball game, Hockey game, Cdn Govt requiring the PCR to come back in. Its a joke!

Hearing Mayors of all border towns/cities, for both sides - are petitioning to have these test removed for such travel. Good on them! 

5 minutes ago, Welly9 said:

YEs you are probably right with your timing...cpl weeks ago back from a Carnival cruise out of Galveston, got our PCR test in Cozumel, np, in 2 weeks, off to FT Laud on the Ody OTS, and will do PCR test on board.

But what they really need to correct and eliminate are the short trips (24 to 72 hrs) if you want to drive to see a Ball game, Hockey game, Cdn Govt requiring the PCR to come back in. Its a joke!

Hearing Mayors of all border towns/cities, for both sides - are petitioning to have these test removed for such travel. Good on them! 

You may not get your test onboard if RC does the same as Celebrity and makes you get it once you’ve disembarked.  

Is it easier for ships to do the antigen test onboard before disembarking rather than the PCR test or will the same situation arise if Canada relents and allows a negative antigen to get back home? 

I was just checking the Celebrity site while awaiting a callback from my CVP and I can no longer find the blurb about onboard PCR testing for non US citizens to return home. Looks like they’re only looking after you now if you test positive onboard! Hopefully I’m wrong and just didn’t see the paragraph that was there up to  yesterday!

21 minutes ago, sun25 said:

Here's a thought....could you take a self administered test with you, monitor yourself and if you get a positive result at the end of the cruise, head on down to the medical clinic.

Yes we thought about that. However, the Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit which is approved for re-entry into Canada is currently sold out. We added our names to the wait list.
image.png.235fb211235427426832dec7542bc8e0.png

39 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I was just checking the Celebrity site while awaiting a callback from my CVP and I can no longer find the blurb about onboard PCR testing for non US citizens to return home. Looks like they’re only looking after you now if you test positive onboard! Hopefully I’m wrong and just didn’t see the paragraph that was there up to  yesterday!

No, it has been removed from the website. All that remains now: 

Travel Home – US and Abroad

Details regarding testing for home country re-entry will be provided onboard.

6 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Yes we thought about that. However, the Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit which is approved for re-entry into Canada is currently sold out. We added our names to the wait list.
image.png.235fb211235427426832dec7542bc8e0.png

Canada has free tests we can pick up and administer yourself.  If you test positive, then you need to get a real test, but it gives you a heads up and the chance to get to the clinic, so Celebrity has to admit you caught it on board.

1 minute ago, sun25 said:

Canada has free tests we can pick up and administer yourself.  If you test positive, then you need to get a real test, but it gives you a heads up and the chance to get to the clinic, so Celebrity has to admit you caught it on board.

I'm aware of these tests kits being provided to schools, businesses and other entities in Ontario, but I've seen nothing about availability for individuals or families. Where would a retired couple acquire one?

5 minutes ago, sun25 said:

Where do we get these free tests? I’m assuming they’re antigen and not PCR tests?