Change in PCR Test Process - Celebrity Equinox

AlbertaCruisers

On 11/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, Fouremco said:

I'm aware of these tests kits being provided to schools, businesses and other entities in Ontario, but I've seen nothing about availability for individuals or families. Where would a retired couple acquire one?

My neighbour bought tests on line. The tests that we get free ( see picture) are listed for 25$.  https://rapidtestandtrace.ca/   While they can't be used to fly, they can give you some security.

Edited by sun25
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sun25 said:

My neighbour bought tests on line. The tests that we get free ( see picture) are listed for 25$.  https://rapidtestandtrace.ca/   While they can't be used to fly, they can give you some security.

Just noticed that I am listed here as Sun25.  That's not me.  Anyone know what I'm doing. I'm obviously not very tech savy lol!

5 minutes ago, sun25 said:

HaHa figured out what happened.  My husband used my computer, with his password and left it.  I'm ddtravel.

Gotcha. I'm glad you figured it out. Hopefully hubby agrees with posts you've made under his name!:classic_wacko:

We were on Celebrity Reflection first sailing November 6. We had to register for PCR appointment. These are done by third party vendor Eorofins and were  done in the Arcade on deck 15. We had our tests at 12:45 pm last day and results at our cabin around 8 pm. There were many being tested that day but all smooth and quick.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

We were on Celebrity Reflection first sailing November 6. We had to register for PCR appointment. These are done by third party vendor Eorofins and were  done in the Arcade on deck 15. We had our tests at 12:45 pm last day and results at our cabin around 8 pm. There were many being tested that day but all smooth and quick.  

Good to know that it was smooth and quick. Hopefully it will be the same on the Silhouette in December. 
Thanks for posting

So, we are still on the Equinox and it appears that they have changed the process again. We got a form to sign up for an appointment in the terminal on disembarkation, but then we got a call from front desk to ignore that and she took down our flight info.  It appears they are doing testing on the ship again. We get off the ship on Friday, Nov 19. The people next door to us got a letter that their test is tomorrow, Nov 17 (the second last day) at 4:00 in Quasar. We have not received our letter yet, but I called front desk and they said we should get the letter today at some point and that we are scheduled for our test at Nov 18 at 5:00 pm. Our flight isn’t until Nov 20, so they may be scheduling appointments based on flight times.  I will provide a further update later.  

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, we are still on the Equinox and it appears that they have changed the process again. We got a form to sign up for an appointment in the terminal on disembarkation, but then we got a call from front desk to ignore that and she took down our flight info.  It appears they are doing testing on the ship again. We get off the ship on Friday, Nov 19. The people next door to us got a letter that their test is tomorrow, Nov 17 (the second last day) at 4:00. We have not received our letter yet, but I called front desk and they said we should get the letter today at some point and that we are scheduled for our test at Nov 18 at 5:00 pm. Our flight isn’t until Nov 20, so they may be scheduling appointments based on flight times.  I will provide a further update later.  

Thanks as always! 👍

56 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, we are still on the Equinox and it appears that they have changed the process again. We got a form to sign up for an appointment in the terminal on disembarkation, but then we got a call from front desk to ignore that and she took down our flight info.  It appears they are doing testing on the ship again. We get off the ship on Friday, Nov 19. The people next door to us got a letter that their test is tomorrow, Nov 17 (the second last day) at 4:00 in Quasar. We have not received our letter yet, but I called front desk and they said we should get the letter today at some point and that we are scheduled for our test at Nov 18 at 5:00 pm. Our flight isn’t until Nov 20, so they may be scheduling appointments based on flight times.  I will provide a further update later.  

Fingers crossed the same happens for the following cruise. Sounds so much smoother than after disembarking. Thanks for sharing

17 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Thank you!  Yes, I received notification today that they were not happy with how the testing was being executed off ship in the terminal, and have relocated the testing to be back on board.  

That would be fantastic if they were evaluating and accommodating flight times.  A morning test on our last full day (for our February cruise) would not put us inside the 72 hours, but a late afternoon test (after 2:00) would satisfy the 72 hour rule.  I have already looked into testing arrangements in Miami in the event we require an alternative. 

Edited by wendycook22

42 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I was not aware that Canada (or any cruise line for that matter) were using the 72 hours. I thought that they had all rounded off to 3 or 2 full days.

While cruise lines have gone to a day count, Canada is still using the 72 hour rule for PCR testing when (re)entering. If flying, the test must be within 72 hours of your flight's scheduled departure time, not its arrival in Canada.

The breaking news today, yet to be confirmed by the GOC, is that PCR tests will no longer be required for those visiting the US for 72 hours or less. Again, 72 hours, not three calendar days.

• Thanks 1

I am currently onboard the Summit disembarking tomorrow. Testing was completed onboard this morning and was very well organized. The only thing I was asked to show guest relations when registering for the test was proof of flight departure tomorrow. 

They are currently 503 passengers onboard and 60 people were tested.

1 hour ago, Janedoe2012 said:

I am currently onboard the Summit disembarking tomorrow. Testing was completed onboard this morning and was very well organized. The only thing I was asked to show guest relations when registering for the test was proof of flight departure tomorrow. 

They are currently 503 passengers onboard and 60 people were tested.

Do you know if they 'cared' about what time your flight was?  Or just as long as it was the 'day after'?   

On 11/7/2021 at 5:59 AM, AlbertaCruisers said:

Today is the last day of the Oct 29 sailing of the Celebrity Equinox. We are staying on for the next sailing, so we got our antigen test yesterday during the back to back meeting. In August when we were on the ship they gave us our PCR test on the ship to go home. This trip, we have Canadian friends on the ship, that are flying home today and they had to sign up a few days ago for appointments for this morning to get their PCR tests in the terminal after they get off the ship. They were told the results would take about 1.5 hours and the results would be emailed to them. It was suggested to them to head to the airport after the test and wait for the results there. They are going to let me know how it goes and I will provide an update once I hear further. I will have to deal with this on Nov 19 as well and will provide a further update. 

My thought is that in August there were so few of us that needed a PCR test (likely under 20). We were told in August that their machine can run 5 tests at a time and takes 1.5 hours each time. I’m guessing with more international travellers on board now they can’t manage them all on the ship and have contracted with a third party to do the tests. I would not be surprised if this was now for all their ships. 

Wow...didn't realize this has happened on another cruise line.  Was getting off a HAL ship in Lauderdale on November 6th and had not heard by the 4th about our PCR test requirements for Canadians.  Checking with Guest Services they informed my that PCR tests for onward travel were being done at an ambulance at the pier on disembarkation day.  Also went to the medical facility and was met with the same answer.  I very clearly told them that I would refuse to leave the ship on disembarkation day without our PCR tests completed.  Told them they would have to physically remove me. With a 12 noon flight I wasn't going to let them make me someone else's problem.   (mine) by exiting the ship.   That afternoon received a letter that a nurse would be coming to our cabin the following morning to swab us (day before disembarkation)  Received my test results that afternoon before arriving in Ft Lauderdale.  There were only 18 Canadians aboard on this cruise. 

Edited by Searanger
  • Like 2

We disembarked the Equinox today and we are at Lago Mar resort now. Our appointments were at 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm yesterday in Quasar. We both went at 4:45 and there was no line and she did both of our tests at that time. We got the results to our room at some point between 11:00 pm and 4 am this morning (they were in envelops in the “mailbox” outside our door.  The results say NAAT using PCR, which is different then the RT-PCR this summer. I like the new forms better than in the summer, it shows the date and time of collection and looks like it has  everything we need. The results are now on the lab form for the company they have contracted on the ship.  We fly home tomorrow. 

They had been doing tests for the 2 days and there were lots of names on the list. 

She said they can run 6 tests at once and it takes 30 minutes per set. 

I tried to ask a few people about the new 24 hour requirement for proof of flights after disembarking (front desk and the concierge) and no one had any clue what I was talking about or how the 24 hours would be treated.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

We disembarked the Equinox today and we are at Lago Mar resort now. Our appointments were at 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm yesterday in Quasar. We both went at 4:45 and there was no line and she did both of our tests at that time. We got the results to our room at some point between 11:00 pm and 4 am this morning (they were in envelops in the “mailbox” outside our door.  The results say NAAT using PCR, which is different then the RT-PCR this summer. I like the new forms better than in the summer, it shows the date and time of collection and looks like it has  everything we need. The results are now on the lab form for the company they have contracted on the ship.  We fly home tomorrow. 

They had been doing tests for the 2 days and there were lots of names on the list. 

She said they can run 6 tests at once and it takes 30 minutes per set. 

I tried to ask a few people about the new 24 hour requirement for proof of flights after disembarking (front desk and the concierge) and no one had any clue what I was talking about or how the 24 hours would be treated.

What is 'Quasar'?  when and how did you make appointments? (pre-cruise?)....  

...and I am very disappointed to hear Celebrity staff is unaware of their own policies....so sounds like you were unable to get the testing done on the ship prior to disembarkation?  Did they tell you why?

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

...and I am very disappointed to hear Celebrity staff is unaware of their own policies....so sounds like you were unable to get the testing done on the ship prior to disembarkation?  Did they tell you why?

Quasar is the Equinox's "retro-chic nightclub for the late-night crowd".  The tests were conducted aboard the ship the day prior to disembarkation. 

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Quasar is the Equinox's "retro-chic nightclub for the late-night crowd".  The tests were conducted aboard the ship the day prior to disembarkation. 

Got it - thanks!  Not familiar with onboard facilities...but glad to hear the test was performed onboard! and results were received prior to leaving the ship!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Froufie said:

I called when we got on the ship to let them know we were Canadian and needed a PCR test. I was told we would be contacted later in the cruise. Front desk called around mid-cruise and confirmed we needed a PCR test and took our flight details and let us know we would get a letter with our appointment details near the end of the cruise. Then a few days before the end of the cruise we got a letter with the date and time of our appointment. From what I know they conducted tests most of the last two days at sea and yes, we got our results before leaving the ship. 

As for them not knowing about the 24 hours, that changed after the start of our cruise, so should not have applied. I’m guessing they got further info on any new procedures by now. 

• Like 1

We flew home yesterday. The Air Canada check in agent checked our test results (briefly) and our passports and asked us to show the ArriveCAN receipt. No one else asked for the test results or vaccine confirmation. In Toronto, we went through the connection side, super smooth and easy. It was less than 15 minutes from leaving the plane to being done and most of that time was walking to where you need to be. We have Nexus, but there was no line in regular customs either. I’m not sure how the regular departure hall was. 

• Like 1