Miscellaneous breakfast questions

Happycrafter123

Breakfast doesn't seem to be any cruise line's strong suit, but you can't go wrong with unlimited bacon, right? They may wave a maple leaf over the corn syrup for the pancakes, but that's about it. There are little pots of peanut butter on the buffet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Ok, I had not expected these types of responses.  Clearly not a friendly crowds.  It is easy enough to pack small travel containers of different condiments such as peanut butter, maple syrup etc just didn’t know and wanted to find out before I loaded my suitcase up.  I would delete my post to stop the circus of criticism but don’t see a button for that.   

Agreed, some people are very sarcastic hiding behind a keyboard.  You could probably call NCL and get your questions answered. There is peanut butter. I don't know about syrup options. And I don't know about whipped cream but I hope it is real. 

38 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

As a new England transplant, I wholly support pure maple syrup. Grade A or grade B?😄

Grade B or even higher!  Never knew there was such a thing until we went to Vancouver and a maple tasting.  Really like that stronger stuff!  You could always bring maple sugar, though I prefer the fruit toppings on cruise ships.  The syrup is definitely a miss.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I recommend starting with a Bloody Mary.  The food will all taste better and you won't worry about the recipes' details.

I agree with the Bloody Mary, but if they don't make it with Premium Green Sichuan Peppercorns and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, I'll be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

I agree with the Bloody Mary, but if they don't make it with Premium Green Sichuan Peppercorns and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, I'll be disappointed.

Disappointed with a Bloody Mary at breakfast....You're FUNNY! 🤣

🐀

Edited by RumRunner2021
  • Haha 1

Now this is the kind of quality discourse I've come to expect from Cruise Critic, especially the NCL forum over the years. Like our luggage tags in the mail today, truly a sign that the world is returning to normal.  

Observation: federal guidelines recommend that adults eat at least 2 to 3 cups of vegetables per day as part of a healthy eating pattern. A standard "classic" Bloody Mary" contains 3/4 c. of tomato juice. Now depending on the number of olives and celery sticks used as garnish, it would appear that I should be planning on a minimum of two Bloodies a day for starters.... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Now this is the kind of quality discourse I've come to expect from Cruise Critic, especially the NCL forum over the years. Like our luggage tags in the mail today, truly a sign that the world is returning to normal.  

Observation: federal guidelines recommend that adults eat at least 2 to 3 cups of vegetables per day as part of a healthy eating pattern. A standard "classic" Bloody Mary" contains 3/4 c. of tomato juice. Now depending on the number of olives and celery sticks used as garnish, it would appear that I should be planning on a minimum of two Bloodies a day for starters.... 

I would plan on three just to be safe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I just hope the Buffet has the Vegemite out for us when we go on the Getaway in January.

My hubbie will have meltdown without his daily spread of vegemite.

Okay, germans will bring Nutella on a cruise, australians (is this the right word 🤔) will bring Vegemite. What will others bring 😅?

I like Stevia in my coffee & do not trust any establishment to have it available. I am pleasantly surprised when I am wrong, but knowing it is in my bag makes me happy. I actually have a little squeeze bottle of liquid Stevia & have never had a problem with it on the table. I just got off the Breakaway.

I will, however, agree that breakfast is the least impressive meal of the day. We usually go to one of the MDR restaurants for "eggs to order." The waffles on the menu come coated in caramel, with a sliced banana and some sort of whipped cream - not the canned variety, but I couldn't tell you how they made it. The waffle was chewy & tasteless. I ordered it with no caramel & syrup instead - but that syrup was NOT real maple syrup.

I love that you are so particular with what you want. We all have those preferences that can easily make or break the day.

We had breakfast in the buffet once & were disappointed not to see crepes - those came out at dinner & yes, there was plenty of Nutella then. At breakfast, I did see plenty of individual peanut butter packets - and no one will stop you from taking a few extra for your room or later. 🙂

As for the syrup, if you are even thinking of bringing it - DO IT! Don't let anyone stop you. You do you. It's YOUR vacation.

• Like 1

My favorite breakfast on a cruise ship is muesli.  I load it up with nuts and dried fruit usually found by the oatmeal.  Its not something you can find in an restaurant around us, or really that I have seen in the US.  It is fairly rich because I think they use cream or at least some cream.  Its pretty hard to screw up and so filling.  If not available, I'll have fruit and a muffin or bagel.  I haven't found breakfast that good on cruise ships either unless you are lucky enough to have a suite and can eat the special breakfast.  On Carnival, they have a walk up Mexican place that makes burritos, tacos, etc. - that's actually my favorite egg based breakfast on a cruise line.  Has anyone else found anything special on the buffet that they wouldn't normally think about?  I'm always ready to branch out of my muesli bowl for something good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabby50 said:

My favorite breakfast on a cruise ship is muesli.  I load it up with nuts and dried fruit usually found by the oatmeal.  Its not something you can find in an restaurant around us, or really that I have seen in the US.

That's hilarious.... no joke it's one of the things that both my wife and I look forward to the most on cruises.   I usually add a spoonful of fruit compote on top, it's so good.

8 hours ago, Gabriele73 said:

Okay, germans will bring Nutella on a cruise, australians (is this the right word 🤔) will bring Vegemite. What will others bring 😅?

Are our British friends bringing Marmite? 🤣 

(I’m an American and happen to like it.)

5 hours ago, RnR_cruise said:

I like Stevia in my coffee & do not trust any establishment to have it available. I am pleasantly surprised when I am wrong, but knowing it is in my bag makes me happy. I actually have a little squeeze bottle of liquid Stevia & have never had a problem with it on the table. I just got off the Breakaway.

I will, however, agree that breakfast is the least impressive meal of the day. We usually go to one of the MDR restaurants for "eggs to order." The waffles on the menu come coated in caramel, with a sliced banana and some sort of whipped cream - not the canned variety, but I couldn't tell you how they made it. The waffle was chewy & tasteless. I ordered it with no caramel & syrup instead - but that syrup was NOT real maple syrup.

I love that you are so particular with what you want. We all have those preferences that can easily make or break the day.

We had breakfast in the buffet once & were disappointed not to see crepes - those came out at dinner & yes, there was plenty of Nutella then. At breakfast, I did see plenty of individual peanut butter packets - and no one will stop you from taking a few extra for your room or later. 🙂

As for the syrup, if you are even thinking of bringing it - DO IT! Don't let anyone stop you. You do you. It's YOUR vacation.

Wish NCL had a fresh made to order waffle station so they can be plated immediately hot and crisp. There would be probably a stampede for it.

Breakaway's buffet has a made to order egg station.

I know I'm not the only one on CC who makes a bee line for the Lox (brined smoked salmon) with onions and capers. That's my go to breakfast with some cantaloupe and honeydew. If memory serves it seems they hide on the last buffet station in the very back. Now if NCL would only serve onion or everything bagels and creme cheese it would heaven.

6 hours ago, RnR_cruise said:

Will a missing item in the buffet really "break" your cruise day?  I have a fantastic time regardless of not always having 100% of what number 1 wants.  Life is too short....