Brining wine onboard mid trip

propwash

Nope.  (or Maybe)

Since the one bottle limit was introduced, the one bottle has to be brought on board at embarkation.  There was no way to track who has or hasn't brought a bottle on board, which would make bringing one aboard at an interim stop extremely difficult to monitor.

However, new policy suggests that more can be brought on board, and if you're on a HAL shore excursion you can bring on one bottle per passenger exempt from corkage.

So YMMV.

Edited by visagrunt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

Nope.

Since the one bottle limit was introduced, the one bottle has to be brought on board at embarkation. 

There was no way to track who has or hasn't brought a bottle on board, which would make bringing one aboard at an interim stop extremely difficult to monitor.

You can buy it, but it will be held until the last night.

I don’t think the OP was asking about the free bottle which was on embarkation day (I don’t believe it exists any longer) but bringing a bottle or two on and paying corkage.

that should still be permitted   The option is to have it held or pay corkage - at least it was pre-covid.

THANKS to all. Since our cruise isn't until August 2022, there's time to see what changes are then. I was planning on bringing our limit when boarding, but thought just in case we needed more it would be possible.

Thanks again

Danny

As per the new rules there are NO more free bottles that you can bring on board at embarkation .

If you are on a HAL tour where the tour might take you to a winery or have some wine tasting during that tour they will allow you to bring a bottle for your consumption on board without having to pay the corkage fee of $ 18.00 .

During our Eurodam cruise last month I had organized wine tasting on a personal small group tour I purchased a couple of bottles of Croatian wines because they were so reasonable with the thought I had to pay the corkage . The bottles were scanned when we came back on board I heard somebody say ,  " bottles " and I was allowed to carry on and we consumed them in our cabin . 

Sometimes it is also a toss up if the scanning machine is going on board ship and you might get scanned in the port  ( Naples comes to mind ) and other times there will be crew standing at a small table when getting on board and charging you for the corkage .

Sorry for the long reply but this was our experience recently , 2 nice bottles for the cabin a Posip and a Grk ! 

Tony 😁😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, propwash said:

Can you bring wine onboard during a port stop to be consumed on the ship even if you brought some onboard at the start of the cruise?

Thanks

Danny

The answer really is NO, or YES, or MAYBE or IT DEPENDS. 

I think IT DEPENDS is the most realistic answer regardless of what is printed on the HAL website, on the Cruise Contract, or what some other passenger experienced in a port far, far away.

IT DEPENDS really on port personnel, security personnel, HAL crew supervising the boarding procedure, and sometimes HAL crew having set up a table on board to specifically check for prohibited alcohol.  

We have experienced all possibilities.  Basically, buy the wine you like and be prepared to pay corkage fees if asked.  If not asked, enjoy!

• Like 3

So was on the Rotterdam TA last week.......

We went grocery shopping during our stop in La Havre, France....bought 3 bottles of wine...when we got back on board, there was a table set up w/a crew member taking the wine and giving us a receipt....The night before disembarkation, the room steward brought it to the cabin.....No charge. No fuss. Easy peezy. 

Looking forward to drinking our 8 Euro Bordeaux over Christmas....if it makes it that long!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1